Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:220
    Members:1
    Total of:221 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire65 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KDF-E42A10 blinking standby light (no error code) Dashboard
    Replies: 28 | Views: 23,497
    Last Reply: February 2, 2011, 4:00 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | fryedbread | usfbulls89 | Burkemail | davewr | SomeOtherGuy | hooper610 | Marcus2323 | rjflamm |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KDF-E42A10 blinking standby light (no error code)
    fryedbread

Posted: 2009-05-23 16:54

About 3 weeks ago, our 2 year old KDF-E42A10 started shutting itselfoff with a blinking standby light (just a continuous blink, i think wecounted 4.

It started at once a day, then got up to several times per hour.

Thinking the lamp was dying, we ordered a replacement lamp.  This did not solve the problem.

We've also tried different wall outlets/different surge protectors.

I'mthinking it's some kind of heat issue, because when you first turn iton, it runs for a long time (sometimes up to an hour), but once itstarts resetting itself, it does it constantly.  audio and video shutoff, the light blinks green, and then it turns itself back on (reset,with the station info and clock showing like it's just been turned on).

the tv is on a shelf with no enclosure around it, about a foot away from the wall in a well ventilated room.

perhaps a fan is failing?

Ihaven't yet taken the back off, could dust be an issue?  We dusted outthe parts we could reach when we put the new lamp in, but the resthasn't been opened.

any help is appreciated, i've looked all over the web and people just say to get a new lamp (check!).

thanks in advance

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-24 13:51

Welcome to Agoraquest!  I don't understand what you mean by "continuous blink, i think wecounted 4".  Does that mean you received 4 blinks, pause, 4 blinks, etc,?  If so that indicates "Fan stopped" and the probable cause locations listed are as follows:

1.  Fan 1-4 power is not supplied (AGU board).
    2.  Fan connector is not attached securely.
    3.  Fan caught wires or harnesses.

These are starting points for a qualified service technician.  On or more fans could also be clogged with dirt.  It certainly won't hurt to open up the set and take a look as nothing beats a through visual inspection.

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-05-24 17:13

Sorry, I meant to type 48 not 4. Looks like it got turned into a smiley. Anyway, the light just blinks continuously until the video/audio comes back on. So no fan code

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-25 19:15

I'd open up the set and take a look.

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-05-26 19:24

It's very clean inside.

I left it unplugged overnight to clear another possible software error I had read about. No luck there either.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-05-27 14:05

should i consider replacing the ballast? i don't want to start throwing money at this but it seems like the next logical place to go

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-27 16:27

You are right.  Lamp driver replacement is the next logical step.

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-05-27 17:43

is there a good place to buy these? i've seen very few on google when i add in my product number KDF-E42A10, but most of the ones I do find are out of stock (or $150+)

thanks for all your help. thank god it's re-run season lol

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-31 18:52

The part number for the KDF-E42A10 lamp driver (power supply block) is 1-468-936-13.  You may purchase it for $127.98 at http://servicesales.sel.sony.com/ecom/accessories/web/productSearch.do.  Use the Part Number search to locate the part.

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-06-18 12:31

thanks!

usfbulls89

Posted: 2009-06-20 18:04

I've been having the same issue for over a year and it just turned into the red light of death and now the tv won't come on at all.  I took off the back of the set b/c I heard a high whining sort of noise and thought it was the fans not turning.  Come to find out, there is a little piece of the lamp ballast that makes a whining sound and lights up at the same time (i'm guessing it is some sort of warning indicator).  It sounds like you are about to or already have changed your lamp ballast and I'm very curious to see if that fixed the problem.  Thanks!

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-06-24 20:10

i'm actually replacing it right now, as soon as i find some installation instructions

the service manual i have conveniently leaves it out.

i'll let you know how it goes

Burkemail

Posted: 2009-06-24 20:40

We are having the exact same problem.  Our Sony KDF-E42A10 started shutting off randomly.  The green standby light flashes 48 times than it comes back on.  Never get a RED blinking light.  It got to where it was doing it every couple of minutes - very annoying.  We went through all of the message boards, called customer support in the Phillipines, checked to see if the software update applied to our serial number (it didn't).  By chance I found a suggestion at www.esupport.sony.com.  They suggested unplugging the tv from the surge protector and plugging it directly into the wall.  We tried this.  We've been watching tv for about an hour now and it hasn't happened again.  Keeping my fingers crossed, but we've had some pretty bad storms lately and it could be a problem with the surge protector.  Hope the solution is this easy.  I'll post again if the problem comes back.     

Burkemail

Posted: 2009-06-24 20:42

Oh sorry - I just reread your original post and see that you already tried changing surge protectors.  

fryedbread

Posted: 2009-06-24 21:21

does anyone know where i can access a service manual for the lamp driver install? it seems pretty straight forward but I don't want to break anything

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.