Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:189
    Members:1
    Total of:190 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire34.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Blu-Ray/HD DVD

Spare remote control for BDP-S550? Universal maybe? Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 5,523
    Last Reply: April 22, 2009, 12:50 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | SPCOOLIN | jttar | jehill | andyross | lemoncadillac | SNY4ME | AlanMintaka |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Spare remote control for BDP-S550? Universal maybe?
    AlanMintaka

Posted: 2009-04-20 05:47

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to get another remote (or two) for my BDP-S550.  The stock remote is a pain in the dupa because the Home key is too close to the Down key.  You can easily hit "Home" by accident while trying to navigate down in a BD menu, throwing you right out of playback to the player's main menu.  Not fun.

I once saw a reference here to a universal or other replacement remote that plays well with the BDP-S550, but now I can't remember what it was or where I saw it.

Does anyone have recommendations for remote controls for the BDP-S550?

Thanks to all for taking the time to read this,

-----------------
    Big Al Mintaka

"I believe a leaf of grass
    is no less than the journey-work of the stars."
    --Walt Whitman

SNY4ME
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-20 10:36

The Logitech Harmony remotes work very well with all Sony gear. Most guys here using a universal use these. I use the Harmony 890 with my BDP-S1 and it works awesome. The 880 is exactly the same remote without the wireless extender.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/remotes/universal_remotes/&cl=ca,en

If you buy one and take the time to properly set it up, you will not need another remote. They are absolutely fantastic. I use only the Harmony for all of my components and I haven't used a factory remote in over a year now.

Lyle

[ This message was edited by: SNY4ME on 2009-04-20 10:41 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-20 18:14

I think most universal remote should work with BDP-S550. The only issue would be if all the functions would be available. I agree with SNY4ME about Harmony universal remotes. I have 2 of them and have they have been great to use.

I would say the top ones are

Logitech Harmony One
    Logitech Harmony 1100
    Logitech Harmony 550
    Logitech Harmony 890

But it depends on your budget as well. Logitech Harmony 550 has the best value but if you need more features then the 890, 1100, One are the best ones

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-20 19:01

I had no problem programming my old RM-AV3000 to control my BDP-S550.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-20 23:00

AllanMintaka,

I own a BDP-S550 and the Harmony 880 remote. The Harmony controls my entire system as well as my outdoor system. It operates the S550 flawlessly. The Logitech database is enormous and you can customize the remote to your preferences including putting your most used buttons right on the first page. Even if the database does not have the information the Harmony's are learning remotes and you can use your existing remote to program the Harmony.

Even if you don't spend the $125 for the 880 model the less expensive models will control your BDP-S550 and all your other components. If you do decide to go with a Harmony and have any questions there are many of us here that can offer help.

Joe

AlanMintaka

Posted: 2009-04-21 04:21

Hi Everyone,
    Thanks for all that info about Logitech and Sony universals.  

After looking at some of the prices, I see that I should have said something about my budget in the first post; sorry about that.   I've blown so much cash on high-end TVs and playback devices that I really can't spare much more for universals.    

The Logitechs I could afford at this point are probably the 510 or 520, depending on features (I guess).  These are Amazon prices, BTW.  The prices posted by Logitech on their website are gouged way out of my range.

The Sony RM-AV3000 looks like something I could easily spring for as well.  My problem with it is a matter of taste only, i.e. the "fat" layout with the large LCD display.  A customizable display like that is wicked overkill for me.  Plus the dimensions and layout are skewed too far from the more common slender design, with numeric keypads, function buttons, and playback controls arranged in groups along the length.

I noticed that Logitech only shows the 510 on their website, not the 520 for some reason.  That being the case, I've started looking into the 510 as a candidate for purchase.  I need to do a lot more research on what it can and can't do, especially with the range of old and new crap, expensive and cheap, in my system.  

In addition to the BDP-S550, the other device a universal would have to handle is a TiVo S3 HD DVR.  It's a little tricky because of that TiVo menuing system, which has a few controls not found on most of the programmable remotes sold with other A/V components.  A Logitech 510 would have to handle that thing, too.  That's off-topic for this forum though; I'll take it up in TiVo Land.

Does this additional info flag anything about universals like the 510 I should know?  I'll be researching the 510 to see what it can and can't do; if the specs say it'll work for me, I may give it a try.

Thanks again for the info,

-----------------
    Big Al Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-21 12:54

Hi Big Al ~

Actually when you think about it...The 880/890 and the others above those models can actually SAVE you money....

They have rechargeable batteries and come with a charging base...
    Most universals with lit up screens can really use up AA batteries pretty quickly if used often, and the cost of those AA's can add up to the difference in price pretty quickly too.

I had a Harmony 690 (I think it was) that I sold to a friend and he actually quit using it himself because of battery life...He still leaves it on the coffee table for the housekeeper & guests because of Harmony's ease of use for folks not electronically savvy...Because of it's Activity modes such as Watch BD, Listen to Music etc...

The 880 & above are also optimised for (actual buttons in the lower section) Tivo or other DVR's and they also have a sleep mode that all you have to do it pick up the remote for it to light up...No light button needed...

Along with the advantages the others have mentioned...I know I have saved a bundle in battery purchases with my 890...

Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

andyross

Posted: 2009-04-21 16:46

You may want to consider the One-For-All series. They are cheap and higher models can be programmed with a serial cable (newer ones use standard serial, and are compatible with USB-to-serial adapters.)

Check out some of the info here:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

SNY4ME
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-21 18:42

SPCOOLIN is absolutely right. I use my 890 with my DVR and it works great.

As far as compatibility with old or new products, don't even worry about it. I haven't ever heard of anyone having a problem with compatibilty. Because as long as you have the ooriginal remote you can always learn the commands directly.

Lyle

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-21 20:41

AlanMintaka

I have owned the Logitech Harmony 880, Logitech Harmony 1000 and now use the Logitech Harmony One.  I love this remote.  The remote controls everything I have asked it to.  I was not happy about the prices of the remotes, but I overcame that and you could not make me give it up.  I have also owned a couple of different models of Sony's large square remotes, I was never happy.  You will not be disappointed in the Logitech remotes.  Save your money and buy a refurbished or lightly used on Ebay.

Lemon

-----------------
    KDF-E50A10
    SUNFIRE ULTIMATE(FORMALLY 4ES/5000ES)
    DVP-NS9100ES W/BEL CANTO AIDA DAC
    F-RECTILINEAR 4-1/2/KLIPSCH RB5
    C-2 KLIPSCH KG 1.3/S-KLIPSCH RCW5
    R-SYNERGISTICS S92 W/2-12"KSW12/ADS MOD.10/Sony TA-AX435
    Sunfire EQ Signature
    HTS 3600-BDP-S1

[ This message was edited by: lemoncadillac on 2009-04-22 20:50 ]

AlanMintaka

Posted: 2009-04-21 21:23

• Member Quote

On 2009-04-21 16:46, andyross wrote:
    You may want to consider the One-For-All series. They are cheap and higher models can be programmed with a serial cable (newer ones use standard serial, and are compatible with USB-to-serial adapters.)

Check out some of the info here:
    http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/

-----------------
    Big Al Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

Hi Andy,
    Support for the TiVo S3 series was a little difficult to find on this site.  The only page listing TiVo codes in the "Advanced Codes" section is

http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/adv-codes.shtml

but the devices shown have names that are somewhat ambiguous.  Most start with "VCR/" which is not what the S3 series is.  Another is "SAT", but the S3 is not a satellite receiver.  It's a DVR with a built-in harddrive for recording, not a VCR; also, it's set up for cable reception, not satellite.

There were references to a Sony TiVo as well, which I honestly didn't get.  The S3 is direct from TiVo.   How it's actually manufactured isn't obvious from the docs.

Part of the confusion here may be related to TiVo's former (and possibly future?) association with DirecTV.  For a while DirecTV used TiVo satellite receivers.  However these weren't DVRs or cable receivers like the S3.  I have no idea who actually made those.

I finally found a reference to the S3 unit in one of the forum listings here:

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=4805

This references a client called Slingbox I'd have to install and run in order to program a remote for the S3.  This is for a "JP1" remote; I didn't take the time to check it out.

There were other forum references to Slingbox and the JP1 remote, all about upgrades, fixes, patches, etc.

The bottom line is that support for the TiVo S3 seems to be pretty spotty at best.  I wasn't comfortable with the Advanced Codes listings, which don't have specific listings of S2 or S3 support.  Relying on Slingbox just to make the JP1 work made me a little uncomfortable too.

I need a remote that has straightforward support for the S3, with codes listed for the unit as named, and without the need for a third party client needing upgrades and patches to keep the remote working.

Lots of good info on that site though.  I'll certainly give it another look before I make any decisions...

Thanks and have a good one,

-----------------
    Big Al Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

AlanMintaka

Posted: 2009-04-21 21:35

• Member Quote

On 2009-04-21 12:54, SPCOOLIN wrote:

They have rechargeable batteries and come with a charging base...
    Most universals with lit up screens can really use up AA batteries pretty quickly if used often, and the cost of those AA's can add up to the difference in price pretty quickly too.

The 880 & above are also optimised for (actual buttons in the lower section) Tivo or other DVR's and they also have a sleep mode that all you have to do it pick up the remote for it to light up...No light button needed...

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for that info about rechargeables.  Unfortunately the issue with rechargeables has to do with more info I negelected to include in my original post.

I use one of those RF Around-the-House systems with my remotes.   It's the Next Generation Anywhere Remote.  It works by replacing one of the AAA or AA batteries in a remote with a Tx/Battery combo.  The Tx part of the combo somehow converts the remote's controls to RF and sends them to a receiver unit near the A/V component being controlled.  The Rx converts the RF to IR and transmits them to the component.

In other words, the Tx/battery combo for this system would have to get along with rechargeables in the same device.  The form factor is the same as a AAA; there's an AA "sleeve" for use with remotes that use the larger batteries.  BTW the battery part of the Tx combo is rechargeable too; it's charged in part of the receiver unit.

You said the 880 had rechargeable batteries and a charging base, but I couldn't tell from your post if the batteries were the AA or AAA types that can be easily removed if necessary.  It sounds like the entire remote fits into a charging cradle.  Is that right?  If so, are the batteries AA or AAA, sealed in the remote, etc, etc?

Have a good one,

-----------------
    Big Al Mintaka

--Walt Whitman

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-21 22:23

Big Al,

The 880/890 and up model remotes do fit into a recharging cradle. The batteries are not removed for charging. I have been recharging my 880 for almost four years without a problem.

The 880 does not do RF but the 890 (and others) do.

Joe

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-22 10:04

• Member Quote

On 2009-04-21 21:35, AlanMintaka wrote:
    • Member Quote

Hi Steve,
    Thanks for that info about rechargeables.  Unfortunately the issue with rechargeables has to do with more info I negelected to include in my original post.

I use one of those RF Around-the-House systems with my remotes.   It's the Next Generation Anywhere Remote.  It works by replacing one of the AAA or AA batteries in a remote with a Tx/Battery combo.  The Tx part of the combo somehow converts the remote's controls to RF and sends them to a receiver unit near the A/V component being controlled.  The Rx converts the RF to IR and transmits them to the component.

In other words, the Tx/battery combo for this system would have to get along with rechargeables in the same device.  The form factor is the same as a AAA; there's an AA "sleeve" for use with remotes that use the larger batteries.  BTW the battery part of the Tx combo is rechargeable too; it's charged in part of the receiver unit.

You said the 880 had rechargeable batteries and a charging base, but I couldn't tell from your post if the batteries were the AA or AAA types that can be easily removed if necessary.  It sounds like the entire remote fits into a charging cradle.  Is that right?  If so, are the batteries AA or AAA, sealed in the remote, etc, etc?

Have a good one,

The Harmony remote batteries are Proprietary and they must be purchased from Harmony or else the remote will not allow them to charge in the cradle...No they are not AA or AAA form factor either but are easily removable...

I looked into the remote battery system (before I got a Harmony) so I know a little of what you are speaking of...No the Harmony 880 or above will not work with that system...

However the Harmony 890 has a RF system and comes with one transmitter (you can add more)
    I used mine to control 2 systems in two different rooms from any location in the house or yard...The Harmony will also work with the cheap repeater systems you can buy at Radio Shack or elsewhere...I have tried it because I had one (still do) from before I got the 890 but I found for my purpose it was not really needed since the 890 system works so well...

I gave the RS repeater to mom, so now I can only control the Main system from anywhere, but since I piggyback my bedroom system TV off the Main DVR/Cable box and I have it setup for RF...I can perform all DVR functions/Channel changes etc. from the bedroom too.

Different from the IR (which the 890 has) converters that transmit RF to a receiver which then sends out the IR to the component...The 890 sends out RF right from the remote so there is no need to aim it at a repeater...The RF receiver/transmitter just needs to be pointed at the equipment and plugged into a wall outlet after it is programmed (from the computer too)

With the 890 you can select (in the computer) what components are controlled by IR and which you want to control with RF, but last I checked I think they limit you to 7-8 (maybe 12 or more now) components on RF...The rest must be IR...

The Harmony will definitely control your Tivo...and honestly it will do a much better job of controlling all your components than trying to setup Macros in another remote for others to work your system...It will only turn on components needed for the specific activity, and if you switch activities it will shut off what is not needed plus turn on what is needed along with setting everything to the correct input/outputs for each activity.

If you want...You can go Here and sign up...Just create a new account...don't worry that you don't have a Harmony yet...or worry about downloading software...It's free to sign up...
    Once you have created your account...Just sign in...It will take you to setup for a remote...I would try telling it you have a 890 (you can switch later and migrate settings too)...You can then see all the options and what can be done with a Harmony....Play around a-bit.

Let us know...
    Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-22 12:40

• Member Quote

On 2009-04-21 18:42, SNY4ME wrote:
    SPCOOLIN is absolutely right. I use my 890 with my DVR and it works great.

As far as compatibility with old or new products, don't even worry about it. I haven't ever heard of anyone having a problem with compatibilty. Because as long as you have the ooriginal remote you can always learn the commands directly.

Lyle

What I can add to that is...

Harmony's database for commands is user/owner supplied...Meaning if someone has one...It's likely to have been uploaded to the database from someone who has learned it to their remote with the original.

Lyle is also right...It will learn any command...But in doing so...When connected to the computer, the new command is uploaded to Harmony for others to share...Kinda like the Napster of remote commands...and it's all free.

The Harmony's truly are the be all, end all, single remote option in my eyes, and they can control each & every function of any piece of equipment out there...

The flexibility in setup is also seemingly endless...

Where you want buttons to reside...Screen or Hard Button...and each can be assigned to any function of that piece of equipment...

You can even customise buttons when in an activity to operate any function of any piece that is active within that activity.

There is also a Device button...This will allow you full control of any Device's menus etc...
    You can then just hit the device button again and it will revert back to the activity control when you are finished...

Best of all for if someone gets confused is the interactive Help button....

It asks questions like...Is the TV On, is it set to HDMI input (only if needed) etc...
    You answer with a Yes or No button...It will make the necessary changes and then ask if that fixed the problem...If you answer Yes help shuts off...If you answer No it will ask more questions and adjust until the problem is fixed.

Really Great for WAF or Anyone else for that matter...And just think...No more agitated cell phone calls because they can't get the Dam thing to work !!!

Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.