Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:222
    Members:1
    Total of:223 users
    MemberLogged
    Johnnycanso0.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: jttar
    Agoraquest Forum Index Computers Troubleshooting

Recovery for Vaio desktop Dashboard
    Replies: 4 | Views: 5,000
    Last Reply: April 1, 2009, 11:20 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | jttar | acoldstarnolds79 | JellyfishGlass |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Recovery for Vaio desktop
    acoldstarnolds79

Posted: 2009-01-02 14:59

I have a Vaio PCV 2232 and decided to use the recovery discs made when it was new.  The computer had really slowed down over the years so wanted to restore it and try to speed it back up.
    The recovery disc worked and the recovery started.  It has now been about 2 hours and all I have is a black screen with a flashing cursor.  The hard disc light is steady on.  The CD bay where the disc is does not seem to be responding as I cannot hear the disc spinning.
    Is this a normal process or have I got a problem?
    And if so what do I do from here?

Update: got impatient, did a warm boot, the recovery disc loaded again and worked.  Computer is 5 years old so now it is doing 5 years worth of updates.

[ This message was edited by: acoldstarnolds79 on 2009-01-02 17:45 ]

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-01-02 18:16

Glad it worked, What OS is it?

If's XP and you sytems goes slow I would do system restore. I have done this a couple of times when an upgrade due to a window patch or something else has caused the computer to slow down.

System Restore is a feature of Windows XP that allows you to fully restore your computer to a previous known working state in the event of a problem. This is done without loss of personal files or data such as word processing documents, spreadsheets, music, images, etc. This feature is enabled by default and runs in the background making backups after certain events happen on your computer. System restore functions are only available to an administrator of the computer, therefore if you are not an administrator, you will not be able to follow this tutorial.

System Restore protects your computer by creating backups of vital system configurations and files. These backups are known as restore points. These restore points are created before certain events take place in order to give you a recourse in case something goes wrong during that event.

http://www.simplehelp.net/2006/07/23/using-system-restore-in-windows-xp/

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-01-02 23:35

acoldstarnolds79,

Greetings and Welcome to the forum.

Glad to hear that it finally worked for you. You did the right thing with the reboot. I have run into this before and in attempts to just start over had the process resume and complete.

Thanks for posting back with the solution that worked for you. I hope to see more of your posts. We can always use more input and appreciate the help.

Joe

JellyfishGlass

Posted: 2009-04-01 22:34

Hi, wondering if i could get a copy of your recovery disks for the Vaio pcv-2232? i have a copy that i started to use, then found out the 1st disk is corrupt.
    Please help! Thank you.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-04-01 23:20

JellyfishGlass,

Greetings and welcome!

In the event that you can not get a copy of the recovery disks try using Nero or a similar burning program and make a copy of your 1st disk.

I have, in the past, had success with making a copy of corrupt disks and having the copies work just fine. Something to try that might solve the problem.

Joe

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.