Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:199
    Members:1
    Total of:200 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire82 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

Sony TA-E1000ESD RCA Connections Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 7,237
    Last Reply: November 17, 2008, 1:02 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | chopaka | sonyeslover |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony TA-E1000ESD RCA Connections
    chopaka

Posted: 2008-11-12 01:34

You guys have helped me before in the past, but it has been a long time since I posted anything here. I have a Sony TA-E1000ESD pre-amp, two of the TA-N220 amps and a ST-S333ESXII Tuner (which is a Euro version of the ST-S730ES I've been told).
    My problem is the RCA connectors at the back of the pre-amp, I've heard these can be a problem, but when I connect them to my various components they seem to be very touchy and I rarely get sound out of both of my speakers unless I fiddle with them at the back of the pre-amp, and then it is only temporary.
    Is my TA-E10000ESD a lemon? Is there an easy fix for this. I'm no audiofile, but I am at my wits end. I've had this problem ever since I got this preamp a few years back. Although I probably couldn't fix anything myeself, there's a guy in his 80's who lives a couple towns south of me that is supposed to be a wiz at such things. He fixed an unfixable TV for me for $10 bucks, but that was a few years back -- not sure he's even alive anymore. I'd rather pay him to fix what I have than to try my luck on eBay for a replacement pre-amp.
    I love the ES equipment and will get one of the matching five disc CD players someday, but for now just to be able to listen to my tuner and have proper surround sound for the televison would be good. I have the subwoofer, center and rear speakers as well, but I'd like to start with at least getting the main speakers, a pair of vintage Bose 901s, working first. I hope all of this isn't too naive sounding.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-11-12 02:27

chopaka- Its good to hear from you again. The RCA jacks on your TA E100ESD are probably similar to the ones shown in the picture above and the solder joints connecting them to the circuit board have possibly been damaged over time especially since this very fine Preamp is a 1989 model.

To prevent this from happening again over the next 20 years and also to improve the sound quality of your TA E1000ESD you might consider having these poor quality factory stock RCA sockets replaced with aftermarket sockets which can be connected to the circuit board with high quality Copper wire rather than directly soldered into it.

In this picture of my 1995 Pure Analog Preamp two pairs of RCA input Sockets were replaced with OF Copper RCA Sockets along with 2 pairs of OF Copper output RCA Sockets (not pictured) and the improvement in sound quality that resulted was far greater than the nominal cost of the new RCA Sockets might indicate! You can read more of the details and specifics of this Mod in my RCA Socket Upgrade Thread.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

Quick Link to MaxxPix

sonyeslover
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-11-15 02:44

I've had the same issue. It could be the inner ring that contacts the center pin of the RCA connector has become too large. Could be due to a larger pin being inserted and "stretching" the ring. The only fix is to either replace them or reform the ring inside the jack. Unless you have experience, I would leave it to someone that knows what he is doing, especially a 1000ESD, it can be complex to take apart as there are tons of jumper wires to undo!  

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-11-15 05:19

It is very easy to underestimate the highly valuable contribution that a reasonably priced pair of Pure Copper RCA Sockets can make to the improvement in sound quality of a highly competent piece of Audio equipment like the TA 1000ESD nevertheless it remains one of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades available and a great way to turn a former problem into a significant improvement.

~Maxx~

-----------------

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

chopaka

Posted: 2008-11-16 22:21

Thanks guys, I'll look into finding someone who can do the work -- I'm definitely not going to open it up and try it myself. With so many pairs it might take a bit of work for whoever I take it to. Also need a source for these, but I'll read the other post on the upgrade to see if one is mentioned. This site has always been very helpful when I needed it. Thanks again, Gary

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-11-17 00:34

There is a large variety of high quality aftermarket RCA Sockets available incuding...

Cardas

WBT

]

Eichmann

You will also need some high quality Pure Copper wire to connect the new RCA Sockets. I would recommend REFERENCE STANDARD MOGAMI W2534 MICROPHONE CABLE @ $0.92/ft.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Quick Link to MaxxPix

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2008-11-17 01:06 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-11-17 01:02

When I had the RCA Sockets in my Preamp upgraded I chose the pair for my outboard DAC and the another pair for my FM Tuner because they are the highest Resolution components that I use and would benefit most from upgrading to premium quality Pure Copper RCA Sockets. I also had the RCA Sockets for the variable output for my Power Amp and the RCA Sockets for the fixed output for my Tube Headphone Amp upgraded to Pure Copper.

~Maxx~

-----------------

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.