Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:174
    Members:1
    Total of:175 users
    MemberLogged
    flipflopflor38.6 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KV-36HS510 6 Blinks, No Picture, No Sound Dashboard
    Replies: 23 | Views: 9,733
    Last Reply: November 26, 2010, 4:33 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | BobF | Dutch123 | pascione | Norm_the_Fixer | Ookedama | bittmann | CathyJ |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-36HS510 6 Blinks, No Picture, No Sound
    pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-22 13:07

Hi,

My 5 year old KV-36HS510 has what appears to be an ongoing Sony traditional failure: the recurring 6 Blinks, No Picture, No Sound failure.  In searching the forum I have noted a few different fixes and I'd like to pursue a few.  While I'm waiting for the service manual I thought I'd post this question.  

On an old thread in the forum I noticed reference to a 5 volt failure on the A, B & M boards and the suggestion that it could be IC504.  I see no IC504 on any of these boards.  I found an IC2504 on the M board in a section marked as +5V regulator.  And the device appears to be a 3-pin voltage regulator.  Is this what I should replace?  If so, where can I get one.

Thanks,
    Pat  

[ This message was edited by: pascione on 2008-08-22 13:08 ]

Norm_the_Fixer

Posted: 2008-08-22 16:07

Hi Pat,

Im not conversant with that model of TV, but you can certainly test the +5v regulator quite easily with a cheap multi-meter. Ground one lead of the meter, then probe the regulator pins with the other lead.

If its a standard 5v regulator (7805) then the right pin should give you +5v, the centre pin is ground and the left pin anywhere from 8-35v

BE VERY CAREFULL! There are dangerous voltages inside a TV even when its unplugged.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-22 16:20

Have you tried using the Agoraquest search engine found at the bottom of the Forums page to seach for "KV36HS510 6 blinks" or similar to see what comes up?

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-22 17:40

Hi Guys,

I haven't yet checked the +5v output because I wasn't sure what tolerances would be acceptable.  I wasn't thinking along the line of no output, I will look into that.

My search of the forums is what lead me to the 5 volt circuit.  I feel at a disadvantage until I get the service manual which I assume includes a schematic.

When I get the opportunity I will check the 5V line and post my findings.

Thanks guys,
    Pat

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-24 18:37

OK,

Today I checked the 5 volt regulator.  Nothing.  So without a set of schematics, what is that telling me?  The input side should have an unregulated voltage or is the failure mode a dead short.  Any clues out there?

Oh, and somewhere along the way, 6 blinks became a consistant 7 blinks.  Now I'm going to go back to the forum and see if I was heading in the wrong direction.

Pat

[ This message was edited by: pascione on 2008-08-24 19:09 ]

[ This message was edited by: pascione on 2008-08-24 20:31 ]

Ookedama

Posted: 2008-08-25 14:52

Hello Pascione,

This is the first time I am on this forum. I have done a search but have not come up with a solution. Perhaps what you are experiencing may help us. Here is my situation - may be similar enough to yours to get some ideas on what to do : Thanks for reading it-

We have a KV-36XBR800. We had a power fluctuation and outage. A few hours after this power outage, we turned the tv on and it did not have a picture, but we hit power a couple of times and it suddenly started working and did fine the rest of the evening.

The next day (today) we turn power button, TV does not come on but we got 6 flashes. Push power button again and it still does not come on but we get 7 flashes. Have tried unplugging from wall, waiting several minutes, then plugging back in: it tries to come on like it was never turned off and we get 6 or 7 blinks....tried the remote reset button/power button. Nothing is doing anything.

We live in a rural area with no chance for a repairman. My husband is an electrical engineer but not a TV repairman. Please let us know if there is anything you can think of that we can try. This TV is a bigggg part of our daily lives.

Thank you very much!
    -

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-26 21:48

HI JD,

I believe we might be in the same shoes.  Mine failed a couple of days after a severe lightning storm.  We had a few power surges that may have damaged the TV only to completely fail a few days later.  I followed the advice of "skytrooper" at: http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=32067&forum=34&PHPSESSID=cef74b7e082ab52cf6b99bfceb292b3b 
    I purchased 2 ICs on the D-board (MCZ3001) per his and others advice in this forum.  I haven't received the parts yet but last night I put in two 18-pin sockets also per skytroopers suggestion.  In searching the forum it appears this issue is a recurring problem for many Sony TVs.  If this fix works the sockets will make a second repair a piece of cake.

I will post my results when I receive the parts.  Also if your husband is an EE (small world, so am I) I have a suggestion:  Join the forum and request a copy of the shop manual.  A full set of schematics is provided.  Taking advice is helpful, the schematics makes sense of the advice.

Good Luck,
    Pat 

Ookedama

Posted: 2008-08-27 18:13

Thanks, Pat!

We left the TV unplugged for close to 36 hours (per some other forum). Went through the usual process of buttons pushed with no response other than the darn 6/7 blinks. Suddenly, the frustrated husband jumped up and down, whirled around, shouted obscenities and rapidily unplugged and replugged the plug in the power strip half a dozen times.... the TV started. It is working just like normal. Go figure.

Well, I have zero confidence that if we turn it off it will start up again. I do think we have an issue with the "D board". But since it is working I think the board is OK but the connection is inconsistent. I have ordered the service manual but have a favor to ask right now - can you possibly tell me where this D card is on the set? Or simply how to recognize it? Husband thinks maybe if we clean it up (with air) we can alleviate the connectivity problem. We had this same problem with the wireless card on our laptop computer.

Getting replacement parts is quite difficult for us. We are retired and living in rural Mexico in a VERY VERY DUSTY DUSTY WINDBLOWN place. We just had our first rain in almost a year (TS Julio) which was where the power surge came from. We actually have a fancy voltage regulator for the TV just for this reason but it didn't work. That was a huge disappointment. Maybe our TV is extremely sensitive. Luckily our computer is OK since it is our only link to the 'real world'.

We wish you much luck with your fix once you get those parts.
    I think I will leave our TV 'on' forever.....

Thank you very much for the communication.
    -JD

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-08-28 07:59

JD,

Each board has a very large bold letter, you can't miss it.  On my set the D board is the bottom left (looking at the tube from the back).  If you look closely there are actually 2 boards connected together directly under the tube.  The D board is the left and the A board is the right.  Getting parts shouldn't be an issue no matter where you are.  Internet purchases have no borders.  I still haven't recieved my parts yet.  I didn't pay the extra for overnight shipping.  I don't expect them till next week.

Pat

Ookedama

Posted: 2008-08-28 12:46

Hey Pat,

We did get the manual downloaded last night and with that and your description we understand the D very well.
    Thanks for recommending getting the manual because it gave the husband more good info (like the whole chassis being live, etc.). And I was surprised that we could simply get it downloaded for 20 bucks (from Uruguay!).

Not much we can do where we are other than pull the back off and clean the 6 years of dust and dirt. Possibly reseat the contacts on the boards. And go again!

The set worked last night. This morning it fired right up (well it did hem and haw a bit)....we have our fingers crossed for this evening. Hopefully a good cleaning will get us a few more years out of the TV. It is true that the internet has no borders, but we have no mail or delivery services within 100+ miles. At this moment the roads to that town are all washed out, too.  Thats always the hitch down here (in paradise).

We will check back to see how your fix comes out once you get those parts. Thank you very much for your communications and advice.

-JD

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-09-09 11:12

For all those waiting patiently for my status hang tight.  My parts are on back order.  If this solves my problem I plan to go back and place a second order so I have them around in anticipation of the reoccurrence of this failure.
    Pat

[ This message was edited by: pascione on 2008-09-09 20:08 ]

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-09-19 21:34

Got my chips today, put them in, no change.  Back to researching the forum.  I'm thinking of looking closer at the flyback transformer.

Pat

BobF

Posted: 2008-09-19 22:53

• Member Quote

On 2008-09-19 21:34, pascione wrote:
    Got my chips today, put them in, no change.  Back to researching the forum.  I'm thinking of looking closer at the flyback transformer.

Pat

Pat,

You might want to reheat and reflow the solder on all of your newly soldered connections.

If you disconnected any connectors, you might want to separate and reconnect all of those.

Since you used sockets, you might want to double-check the orientation of the ICs and make sure that they are firmly seated.

If you have a spare MCZ3001D IC, you might want to try swapping that for one of the installed ones in the event that you have a bad IC.

Good luck!

Bob

pascione
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-09-20 14:58

Thanks for the advice Bob,

I tried everything but replacing the new ICs with the old, I bent a lead on the old ones so I wouldn't confuse the old with the new and when I bent them back I snapped the leads on both old ones.

Still haven't given up though,
    Pat

[ This message was edited by: pascione on 2008-09-20 14:59 ]

Dutch123

Posted: 2010-01-06 13:27

Is there a difference MCZ3001 and MCZ3001D?  Or is there a "newer"  DB model of this IC.  I have the KV-36HS510 with no pic or sound and  6 blinks.  What does IC stand for; integrated circuit? My head is spinning..

I keep reading about soldering.  does the mcz3001require it?

thanks;

Dutch

[ This message was edited by: Dutch123 on 2010-01-06 17:36 ]

[ This message was edited by: Dutch123 on 2010-01-06 17:45 ]

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.