Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:222
    Members:0
    Total of:222 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Help please!!! KV-36XBR800 Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 4,613
    Last Reply: April 3, 2008, 8:58 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    BobF | Ra | woodstove | DIYr |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Help please!!! KV-36XBR800
    woodstove

Posted: 2008-03-30 10:09

If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

A few weeks ago, my 36xbr800 would not turn on and would go directly to standby mode. It would flash 6 or 7 times repeatedly. I was able to unplug it for a little while and then plug it back in and it would work. I would be able to watch tv the rest of the day and turn it off at night. It would turn on fine in the morning.  If I turned it off and then on again 5 minutes later, it would work. If I waited about 2 hours, it would go directly to standby mode and I would have to unplug again.

I did take the chassis (DA-4) to a tv repair guy. He put IC sockets and 2 new MCZ3001DB IC's on the D board.

Well, I got it home, connected everything, and it worked great!!!! I even watched it for several hours.

Got up this morning and the thing fired up perfectly. Then, after about 2 hours, it just cut out completely. It sounded like someone shut it off and then I lost picture and audio and it went right back to the red blinking standby light of 6 blinks, and then 7 blinks.

I unplugged it for about 20 minutes, plugged it back in and it worked for a whole 15 minutes before it cut out again and went back into standby mode.

The IC's are all the way in the sockets and the sodder points look good.
    Does anyone have any idea what is wrong NOW? Could it be the flyback? Any ideas please?

THANKS

woodstove

Posted: 2008-03-30 11:18

Just pulled up the self diagnostic screen and it gave me one error at 5:AKB before the screen faded and went into standby again. There were no other errors noted. Just wanted to give more info in case anyone has a fix or an idea.
    Thanks

BobF

Posted: 2008-03-30 11:30

Probably the first thing I would do is disconnect and reconnect all of the D-Board connections to the rest of the TV.  Maybe one of the connectors is not firmly seated.

Or maybe there's a less than perfect soldering connection for one of the new sockets.  It could be that the connection is heat sensitive, which would expalin why the TV works for a bit before shutting off.

Perhaps the repair technician that did the work would be willing to re-touch the soldered connections?  It's entirely possible to have a faulty soldered connection that looks fine visually.

And here's one more thought.  Although unlikely, maybe one of you new MCZ3001D ICs is failing.  If you have a spare IC you could easily swap it out with the installed ICs to see if that helps.

Good luck!

Bob

[ This message was edited by: BobF on 2008-03-30 11:33 ]

woodstove

Posted: 2008-03-30 11:58

Thanks for the reply. We have already rechecked all of the connections and are good.
    Although the tv is coming on, it is getting less and less that it stays on before the picture shrinks and goes into standby mode. The last time when I checked the screen diagnostics, it only lasted 1 minute before going out.
    Could this be the tube going?

We do not have any other IC's to try at this time. Also, could it be the IC again? It was working great last night and it was on for about 10 hours before it was turned off with no problems. And again this morning turned on fine.

It is acting differently than it did before we changed the IC's. Before the change, the tv went straight to standby. Now it turns on and we get picture and sound and then it will fade and go to standby.

We really don't want to sink much more money into this if it is on its way out. I know that it is hard to diagnose anything without really looking at it. Anything about the error at the AKB that I should be looking at?

Thanks again

BobF

Posted: 2008-03-30 13:53

Based on the following thread, a faulty or failing MCZ3001D IC can indeed cause the "works when cool" behavior.

See this link:

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=31664&forum=34

And here's an excerpt:

My kv30hs510 ,7 blinks sometimes 6 blinks, would work intermitent when cool ,but
    if turned off would not turn back on would have to wait 3 maibe 4 hours  before it
    would turn back on.

I took out the D-BOARD  made sure no cold solder joints , and replaced two IC's
    IC-8002 and IC-6501  both are MCZ3001D ,replaced both of them to make sure,
    they cost only $5.50 each plus shipping ,well that cured the problem....

If resoldering the new connections doesn't work, I would swap the the MCZ3001D ICs and see what happens.

Good luck.

Bob 

Ra

Posted: 2008-03-30 18:39

• Member Quote

On 2008-03-30 11:18, woodstove wrote:
    Just pulled up the self diagnostic screen and it gave me one error at 5:AKB before the screen faded and went into standby again. There were no other errors noted. Just wanted to give more info in case anyone has a fix or an idea.
    Thanks

My freind if you have 5:AKB on the self Diagnosis screen that sais it all.
    It could be any of these components and voltages to these boards
    Video out IC9001-IC9003 are faulty CH-CX Board,
    CRT Drive IC2801 is faulty B board,
    or G2 is improperly adgusted.

DIYr

Posted: 2008-03-31 17:45

Just a thought.

If the problem is suspected to be heat related, remove the back off the TV to expose the electronics and direct a fan over the power components to keep cool air circulating. If it still fails with the fan, then I would think the problem is a cold solder joint. Failled IC and chips are binary in character, when dead they never come alive again.

To isolate cold solder joints, there use to be magic in a can for the electronic world. This stuff is called freeze mist. You direct a blast of freezing, non-conductive mist over the socket where the legs are soldered to the board. If the picture comes back on and power is returned to the TV, the problem can be pin pointed to the general area where a cold solder joint exist.

None conventional problem isolation is to smack the side of the chassis with your hand. If the picture returns or shows signs of returning, we are looking at a loose connection on a cable, a connector, or where a transistor or voltage regulator feeds in a PCB thru hole.

Other possibilities... when removing the IC to replace with a socket, the PCB pad was pulled up so you get poor contact...or... one of the legs on the IC is folded under the chip body so the leg is resting on a socket connector instead of seated inside the socket (take a flash light and mirror to look between the socket and the IC chip)...

one more comment before I shut up. If any heat sink was removed to make room to work on the D Board, thermal paste is required to rebond the heat sink to the power components. Not doing so will cause the component to over heat and fail.

dB

woodstove

Posted: 2008-03-31 19:22

Thanks for all the ideas.

We pulled the chassis out and put it on the kitchen counter. We used a flashlight and were able to see light where one of the IC socket pins was soldered in.  We resoldered it and thought that would do the trick. Nope.

We then decided to take out the new IC MCZ3001's that were installed and order some more. We are keeping our fingers crossed that one was faulty, and replacing will do the trick. One did have a short pin which may not have been making complete contact with the socket. The opposite IC was the one without the solder.

Just a few more questions..... What is the G2? What are the part numbers for IC2801, IC9001-IC9003?

If the new IC's don't do the trick and if the next set are not too expensive, we will try those next. Otherwise, we may have to unload this beast.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming and we will update when the new IC's are in.

Ra

Posted: 2008-04-01 21:28

• Member Quote

On 2008-03-31 19:22, woodstove wrote:
    Thanks for all the ideas.

We pulled the chassis out and put it on the kitchen counter. We used a flashlight and were able to see light where one of the IC socket pins was soldered in.  We resoldered it and thought that would do the trick. Nope.

We then decided to take out the new IC MCZ3001's that were installed and order some more. We are keeping our fingers crossed that one was faulty, and replacing will do the trick. One did have a short pin which may not have been making complete contact with the socket. The opposite IC was the one without the solder.

Just a few more questions..... What is the G2? What are the part numbers for IC2801, IC9001-IC9003?

If the new IC's don't do the trick and if the next set are not too expensive, we will try those next. Otherwise, we may have to unload this beast.

Thanks and keep the ideas coming and we will update when the new IC's are in.

IC2801=8-752-752-102-68
    IC's 9001,9002,9003=8-759-680-01
    G2, there are 2 knobs behind the high voltage transformer called the (flyback) is the one lower close to the board, the upper one is the focus.

woodstove

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:19

Hello all!
    Got the new IC's in the mail yesterday. We already had the olds ones popped out, so put them in and........ tv WORKS!!! YEAH! It must have been that the one IC that had the short pin was just hanging on by a thread.
    I'm still worried it will not last and am afraid that as soon as I post this that it will again go out, but wanted to say THANK YOU to all of you!!! This is a great site and if I would not have found it, the tv would probably be gone.
    You guys ROCK!
    Thanks again.

BobF

Posted: 2008-04-03 08:58

Awesome news!  Thanks for the update.

Bob

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.