Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:180
    Members:0
    Total of:180 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

KDL 46 V2500 Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,492
    Last Reply: March 27, 2008, 10:14 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | groove93 | CaptainCrash |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KDL 46 V2500
    CaptainCrash

Posted: 2008-03-03 12:55

I've just bought this tv brand new and the picture is terrible, really blurred on all sources!!!
    Can anyone offer some guidance or assistance please??
    I'm so dissapointed, picture looked fantastic when viewed in shops.

My room is 15ft long and my viewing distance is 10 feet away

[ This message was edited by: CaptainCrash on 2008-03-03 13:37 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-03 22:17

CaptainCrash,

Greetings and welcome.

Congratulations on your new TV. Sorry to hear that the picture quality is so poor.
    First, suggestion would be to check your connections and cables. Even new cables can be defective.
    Next suggestion would be to go into the TV's menu and try adjusting the video settings. Typically, a new TV's video settings are set way too "hot" to make them look good under the bright lights of a showroom. Using one of the Home Theater calibrations DVD's like AVIA or Digital Video Essentials have helped countless members optimize their TV's picture quality. Hopefully, they are available from a UK site. If you own a commercial DVD that has the THX Optimizer on it, ("Finding Nemo" comes to mind) give that a try. I have found the setting pretty close to the Home Theater tune up disks.

Please let us know how things go.

Joe

CaptainCrash

Posted: 2008-03-04 13:03

Hi there, i've been through all settings and adjusted accordingly both to peoples recommended settings and also just tried adjusting the poor quality picture out but to no avail.
    When you say about a THX Optomizer, is this a tool that is provided to aid setup or just a feature of the movie to setup the picture, to get the best settings????
    Can you think of any other dvd's that have this function on???
    I have an extensive collection but sadly Finding Nemo isn't one of them.
    I have many dvd's that have the THX logo on them.
    Regarding the connections, they have been checked, but as i said in my first post, picture quality is terrible regardless of source.
    Spoke to Sony who said they thought the panel was u/s and have told me to take it into a repair agent.
    Not what i would have expected from a High End TV or manufacturer although i accept that things can and do go wrong.
    I've noticed a lot said about the service menu, is there any adjustments within there that may help in the adjustment or is it better to just take the TV in to get it looked at.
    Thanks in advance for any help given.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-05 00:08

CaptainCrash,

The THX Optimizer is found on some commercial DVD movies. It is a tool to adjust your TV's picture settings like; contrast, brightness, color level etc.

The THX Optimizer can be found on most Pixar movies like "Finding Nemo", "Monsters INC." or any of the Star Wars movies. Also, "Fight Club", "Close Encounters", and I believe "Pearl Harbor".

If using a calibration disk doesn't help your PQ is there any chance that you can just swap your KDL 46 V2500 for another TV at your place of purchase?

Joe

CaptainCrash

Posted: 2008-03-05 03:03

Hi there, i've got Monsters Inc. so i'll give it a try, problem with TV swap is that we bought the TV in August 2007 but due to the widespread flooding in our area we have only just re instated our living room and un packed tv so that's why we have to try to get it repaired.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-05 22:13

CaptainCrash,

Best of luck. Please post back and let us know how the THX optimizer works out.
    If that doesn't work any chance on blaming the poor picture quality on flood damage?

Joe

CaptainCrash

Posted: 2008-03-07 14:10

Managed to borrow a THX Optomiser disc, ran through the setup procedures, picture now seems better but still not as clear as i expected or i'd seen in the shop, don't know whether i'm just being picky or if it is faulty.

Might ask at the shop if someone is willing to come and have a look before i send it in for repair unless anyone has anymore ideas???

I've read a lot about the service menu settings, what kind of settings are in there and are any likely to improve sharpness in the picture???

I'm an electronics technician so not a dummy when it comes to this sort of thing

Any help??

groove93

Posted: 2008-03-27 10:14

Hello, I purchased the Same display last weekend and I was aware that Standard Def signals would look terrible. My sitting position from the TV is 8 feet. As of now I do not have any Hi Def sources or any Progressive sources running into the TV, just and older Sony DVD Player, a PS2 and a Standard Def Direct Tivo box. The THX Optimizer will help but not much considering the source. The Service Menu will allow you to adjust RGB settings but it is recommended that you record all Default information before making any adjusments. The good thing is that you can calibrate each source individually.

Here are my settings:

Picture Mode: Custom
    Back Light: 3
    Picture: 98
    Brightness:45
    Color: 45
    Hue: 0
    Color Temperature: Neutral
    Sharpness: 65
    Noise Reduction: Off

Advanced
    Black Corrector: Off
    Adcanced CE: Off
    Gamma: (I think this was set to low)
    Clear Whiteff
    Live Colorn
    Color Space: Wide
    MPEG Noise Reduction ff

Now these settings were for my DVD Player (non-progressive) connected via Component and depending on your seating distance and room colors, your adjustments will be different.

I also calibrated my Play Station 2's DVD Player (via S Video) and the results were somewhat similar but again, this is Non-progressive, for I do not have a Component Adapter to take advantage of the PS2's progressive scan Player.

Thus far the best Pictures I've seen on this display were "The Incredibles" and "The Empire Strikes Back". I did play "Ratatoulle" but because I transitioned from a 20 inch screen to a 46, I suffered from Motion Sickness for the firs two days of owning this Display.

I won't get this screen ISF Calibrated until I upgrade to a Playstation 3 and Direct TV's hi def package.

Hope This Helps

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.