Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:171
    Members:0
    Total of:171 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: jttar
    Agoraquest Forum Index Computers Troubleshooting

VGN-PCV W1/G Monitor with no power. I think. Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 6,555
    Last Reply: December 27, 2010, 8:51 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | Brianqaf81 | Dam14n |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author VGN-PCV W1/G Monitor with no power. I think.
    Brianqaf81

Posted: 2008-02-19 17:05

I'm not particaularly techie so please be kind with any responses.

About a month ago I 'reset' my pc by using the VAIO recovery disk to restart the pc in its 'brand new' condition.

Unfortunately, about 2 minutes into the disk spinning up the monitor went blank.  The CD drive kept making the wirring noise and the fans kept running but nothing was displayed on the screen.

Now, when I press the power button, the fans start up, get faster and faster and faster - a speed definately above normal,  REALLY REALLY LOUD.

At no point does the monitor come on.  What can  do?  SONY reckon to even take a look at it will cost 450.

If it makes any difference (from a consumer point of view) I bought it on my credit card on 20 Nov 2003 from PCWorld.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers.

Bri.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-02-19 20:39

Brian,

Greetings and Welcome!

I am not familiar with the VGN-PCV W1/G model but do any lights come on on the front of the monitor? I am trying to determine if it is a monitor problem or is it a case of the monitor not receiving the video signal to turn it on. 

Any chance of using a video out with another known good monitor to check the video signal?

Joe

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2008-02-20 05:01

The lights on the top of the machine come on (its a Sony model where the whole thing is connected as one (hard drive, monitor and keyboard is one unit).  The green light comes on steady and but the HDD light (normally orange and flashy to indicate HD activity does not flash at all.

The monitor doesn't appear to come on at all (ie, its not just a black screen - its nothing).

The plugs at the side are very limited - I dont think it has a video out socket.  It has an AV port - is that any help for my case?

Cheers.

Bri.

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2008-03-02 15:09

Ok.  It looks like I'm going to have to part with even more money to make the thing work.

Like I said in my first post, I'm not particularly techie, so when I take it to the men in the white coats will they be able to somehow connect a second monitor; reason I ask is there are no external connections and I cant see that theres anyway to 'take the back off'.

Anyone know anyone (uk-wide mainstream) that could do this job?  I've read that PC-World (where I bought it from) are a real no-no when it comes to playing fair on repairs & the costs involved.

Look forward to any responses.

Kind regards,

Brian.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-04 21:26

Brian,

Have you had any luck off this forum in finding a "white coat" to give your VGN-PCV W1/G  a check over to see if the problem is with the monitor?

Joe

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2008-03-06 16:34

Hey Joe,

Unfortunately I haven't heard from anyone.  I'm dreading having to leave it with someone who doesn't know what theyre doing, let alone the cost!

lol.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-06 20:24

Brian,

I fully understand your reluctance to just let someone you don't know work of your computer. Without having a recommendation it is hard to trust someone you have never dealt with before.
    Hopefully, one of our UK members will spot this thread and be able to offer a recommendation of where to bring your your machine in for an estimate.

Best of luck and please let us know how things work out.

Joe

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2009-04-25 12:24

I took it into a 'no fix, no fee' place in Northampton & after taking every individual peice of kit inside out and replacing it (trying to locate the problem), they THINK they've narrowed it down to the processor.  They've advised me that it would be nearly impossible to get hold of one and it's probably best if I cut my losses & just got rid of the machine.  Whilst I totally appreciate they probably know what they're talking about, the PC was bought in late 2003 & cost over 1200!  Is it really all over?  Should I scrap it?  Can I break it up into parts & sell it do you think?  What do you guys suggest is my best option now???

Cheers!

Dam14n

Posted: 2009-07-30 20:34

• Member Quote

On 2009-04-25 12:24, Brianqaf81 wrote:
    I took it into a 'no fix, no fee' place in Northampton & after taking every individual peice of kit inside out and replacing it (trying to locate the problem), they THINK they've narrowed it down to the processor.  They've advised me that it would be nearly impossible to get hold of one and it's probably best if I cut my losses & just got rid of the machine.  Whilst I totally appreciate they probably know what they're talking about, the PC was bought in late 2003 & cost over 1200!  Is it really all over?  Should I scrap it?  Can I break it up into parts & sell it do you think?  What do you guys suggest is my best option now???

Cheers!

Test

Dam14n

Posted: 2009-07-30 20:42

Ok i have just rebuilt your machine Type Sony TV/Computer W1/G, it takes a standard
    P4 / Celeron CPU yours is 2.8 ghz just added a new one and a 250 HDD, all working, they told you that because its a bit of nightmare to install this plenty of table room and patience, or they are imbeciles email if you have not dumped it, im in London, hope this is not to late....... Damian.

Dam14n

Posted: 2009-07-30 20:50

PS did you actually watch these so called engineers dismantle your pc because it takes a lot of time and patience you can only swap the ram and the cpu out so what did that test and to do that you have to fully remove the heavy screen from the main processing body and by the time you got to that stage you would not have given up or at least i wouldn't.... Damian

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-07-30 22:49

Damian,

Greetings and welcome.

Thank you for your input. Hope to see more of your helpful posts in the future.

Joe

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2009-07-31 15:42

Hi Damian,

I've still got the unit.  Despite there conclusions I still couldn't bring myself to get rid of it.  The company kept my PC for about 9 days, but as you say - I've no proof they actually did the stuff they said they did.

What do you suggest I do now? Should I go back to them and ask them to install a processor?  Is there anyone on here that can help?

Cheers.

Brianqaf81

Posted: 2010-12-06 07:29

Hi everyone.

FOR SALE FREE
    VGN-PCV W1/G  with mouse, remote control and manuals (disks etc) but NOT WORKING.  Fan starts but seemingly no power to monitor.  *see above posts.

It's taken 2 years of mourning but I'm finally ready to let go of my bitterness/upset and get rid of the damn thing, which was a dream until it broke.

It's broken in the sense that I am not techie enough to fix it, but if anyone wants it for spares or even having a go at getting it up and running again, I'll happily give it away for free.

Obviously, it'll need collecting (I visit Birmingham, Milton Keynes & Northampton a lot) so meeting up in those areas to bring it to you is an option.

If you want it, send me a message.  I'll get back to you asap.  If I don't get any messages by Jan 1st I'll recycle it at work (which I think involves crushing) (I'll give the bloody thing a kick whilst I'm at it too! )

Cheers.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2010-12-09 21:37

Brian,

Sorry for your loss but it a very generous offer of you. Hopefully someone who lives in or close to the Birmingham area can take advantage of your kindness.

Cheers to you,
    Joe

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.