Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:222
    Members:0
    Total of:222 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: jttar
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Computers Troubleshooting

Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G Power Supply Question Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 7,805
    Last Reply: October 2, 2012, 3:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    NiteHawk | jttar | will1 | Cmurder | Korsair2012 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G Power Supply Question
    will1

Posted: 2007-10-01 00:29

I was wondering if someone could provide some technical assistance or advice on upgrading the power supply for my Sony VAIO VGC-RA840G.  According to specs, this desktop comes with an ATI Radeon® X300, 128 DDR SDRAM video card and the Power Requirements is 364.7 watts max. / 100-240V ~7A (50/60Hz).  I assume this is the power supply's rating.  I purchased new software that requires a better video card to run.  Then, I purchased an ATI x1650 Pro video card but noticed it requires a 550 Watt or better power supply to run.  Can anyone help me figure out if my current power supply can be upgraded to the 550 Watt requirement?  More specifically, can I purchase an aftermarket power supply rated at 550 watts or better and plug it in with no problems?  And, will output voltages from the new power supply damage any of the Sony installed hardware or motherboard?  Thanks.

[ This message was edited by: will1 on 2007-10-01 00:32 ]

NiteHawk

Posted: 2007-10-01 12:02

Welcome to the forum.  The power rating of 550 seems kind of high, so I checked and found the minimum rating to be around 350W for the ATI x1650 pro.

You should have no problems upgrading your video card with your current power supply.  Besides, I've been hearing horror stories that the only aftermarket power supply that will work is from Sony.    

will1

Posted: 2007-10-01 13:38

Thanks for the reply NiteHawk!  Where did you see the minimum power requirement for the Diamond Viper X1650 PRO video card?

I haven't opened the box but the system requirements on the outside say "550 Watt power supply or greater, 38 Amps on 12 volt rail recommended PCI-E compliant power supply required, (ATX 2.0 or higher).  Called Sony tech support and they refused to give any advice/assistance on upgrading the VAIO.

I'm am worried if I upgrade the power supply to 550 watts or higher the plugs may not be the same if they are proprietary or worse, if incorrect output voltages are sent to other hardware or motherboard.  If the X1650 Pro will work on less wattage than what the box says I'll be in business.

Thanks, Will1

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-10-01 22:05

On 2007-10-01 13:38, will1 wrote:

I'm am worried if I upgrade the power supply to 550 watts or higher the plugs may not be the same if they are proprietary or worse, if incorrect output voltages are sent to other hardware or motherboard. 

Will1,

Greetings and welcome!

Apparently, the specs for the ATI X1650 vary depending on where you look. At the ATI Diamond Pro site HERE, it lists needing a 420 watt power supply or greater. Hmmm?

I personally would follow NiteHawk's advice and try the video card with your existing power supply and see how it performs.

If you do decide to upgrade to a more powerful power supply do not be concerned with having the wrong output voltages to you existing hardware or motherboard. The higher wattage of the new power supply will not increase the voltage to the existing components, it still will only supply 12V on red and 5V on yellow wire connectors. The advantage of a higher wattage power supply is it's ability to run more hardware like extra CD/DVD ROM drives or additional Hard Drives etc. or as in your case a higher end video card.

Joe

will1

Posted: 2007-10-02 12:29

Thanks Joe,
    You are correct.  The power rating/specs are different in DIAMOND website vs the box.  I'll look over the power supply and give it a try.  Just wanted to make sure cause I read several horror stories on forums related to upgrades.

Will

[ This message was edited by: will1 on 2007-10-02 12:45 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-10-02 19:50

Will,

Please post back and let us know how the ATI X1650 works in your VGC-RA840G. Your results may be able to help other forum members in the future.

Best of luck.

Joe

Cmurder

Posted: 2010-11-03 05:07

Did the ATI x1650 Pro work with original power supply?  And did you have 2 of em inside or just 1?  I'm thinking of getting two ATI x1650's for my outdated vaio.

Korsair2012

Posted: 2012-10-02 15:27

Well it's 2012 now and I needed to upgrade my video card.

I was hoping that someone else would have replied. I ended up upgrading last night to: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+GeForce+GT+620+1GB+DDR3+PCI+Express+2.0+Graphics+Card/5594316.p?id=1218670821938&skuId=5594316

24 hours later it's still running and the power supply seems to be holding alright. I wanted to improve the graphics since I was planning to use this system as a DVR. The 840 has 8 TB of storage (across 3 HDDs) and the PS seem to be happy. I did upgrade to Win 7 and I removed the two cards that were in the PCI slots.

For the digital tuner I am using an HD Homerun and then using the ethernet connection to rececived the digital signal.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.