Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:215
    Members:0
    Total of:215 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

KDF-E42A10 3 Red Lights Blinking Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 32,780
    Last Reply: February 22, 2012, 9:46 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    claudio | jehill | Angela26101 | JM03 | danhet | damonaf | propink | onecarmel | Buddkat | willy1375 | scooterdude | Joey2871 | jtrren |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KDF-E42A10 3 Red Lights Blinking
    Angela26101

Posted: 2007-09-04 06:45

I have the Sony Wega 42 Inch ... Model # KDF-E42A10

I was moving the stand that it was on, while the TV was on, TV kicked off and the Lamp led light was on.  So I changed the Lamp, Now when you try to turnt he TV on ... the Green light blinks ... then the Red Standby Button Blinks 3 Times, repeats.  I can hear the TV kick on, but then right back off. 

I have tried unplugging the TV for a few hours and then plugging back in ...

Any Suggestions ... pls help!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-09-06 17:38

Welcome to Agotaquest!  check the lamp cover.  Make sure its comepletely closed.  See if it's distorted due to overheating.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Angela26101

Posted: 2007-09-07 06:42

I thought of that after I took the TV to the repair shop .... I never had the lamp cover on it this whole time ...

They are suppose to be calling me back today after they look at it ... lol. 

I am hoping its something that simple.

Thanks.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-09-07 15:23

I hope that you are right!

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

claudio
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-07-03 16:51

Hi Angela26101,

Wanted to see if there were any updates when you took it to the repair shop?

Thanks,

JM03

Posted: 2009-01-11 22:30

Hello.
    I have the same problem.
    My KDF-E42A10 turns on, then kicks off, and blinks in intervals of 3.
    I have taken off the lamp cover and properly assembled it back on.
    There are no signs of distortion due to over heating.
    Any suggestions?

danhet

Posted: 2009-01-13 20:52

The 3 blinking red lights seems to be the plague with the Sony rear projection LCD family. I have had the KDF-46E2000 for two years with no signs of trouble until recently. Suddenly after several hours of run time the unit shutdown and the power light started blinking 3 red lights. The unit could be powered back up but wouldn't last as long before shutting down again. The frequency of shutting down progressively gets worse.
    The owners manual indicates that this is a lamp door fault. After reading several pages of this forum, I too have checked the lamp door, lamp door switch and replaced the lamp. The lamp door appears to be good as new. The lamp door switch actuates when the door latch is in position. After replacing the lamp, the unit does not provide any run time now. Immediately after powering up, the unit shutdowns and displays the dreaded three blinking red light. Thinking the replacement lamp might be the incorrect one, I put the original back, hoping to get some run time back. No luck. It would seem that removing the lamp housing and putting it back in has disturbed the unit.
    Why are these units display a lamp door fault when there isn't one? What could the real problem be?
    PLEASE HELP?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-01-14 16:37

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Your guess is as good as ours.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to service information on the KDF46E2000, so I can't determine if this issue has been addressed.

damonaf

Posted: 2009-04-01 20:52

• Member Quote

On 2009-01-13 20:52, danhet wrote:
    The 3 blinking red lights seems to be the plague with the Sony rear projection LCD family. I have had the KDF-46E2000 for two years with no signs of trouble until recently. Suddenly after several hours of run time the unit shutdown and the power light started blinking 3 red lights. The unit could be powered back up but wouldn't last as long before shutting down again. The frequency of shutting down progressively gets worse.
    The owners manual indicates that this is a lamp door fault. After reading several pages of this forum, I too have checked the lamp door, lamp door switch and replaced the lamp. The lamp door appears to be good as new. The lamp door switch actuates when the door latch is in position. After replacing the lamp, the unit does not provide any run time now. Immediately after powering up, the unit shutdowns and displays the dreaded three blinking red light. Thinking the replacement lamp might be the incorrect one, I put the original back, hoping to get some run time back. No luck. It would seem that removing the lamp housing and putting it back in has disturbed the unit.
    Why are these units display a lamp door fault when there isn't one? What could the real problem be?
    PLEASE HELP?

Just thought i'd share my solution.

I had the same problem.  I replaced my lamp, installed the lamp coverproperly and still had the problem.  I took the lamp out again andnoticed a switch at the very back ( kinda like the lamp door switch.) I played with the contact on that switch (pulled the contact out alittle.....without removing it) and reinstalled the lamp and lamp doorand BAM!!!  TV was working again.  Haven't had any more issues yet. Let's see how long it lasts.

Post reply if this fixes your problem.

propink

Posted: 2009-07-17 22:06

Model: KDF-42E2000 United States  Manufactured:  December 2006

The above post works! There is a switch where the lamp plugs into that I bent just slightly out. The lamp must be removed to see the switch contact. It is on the bottom to the right of where the two lamp plug ins are. The switch is a very tiny metal contact. It may be hard to see so use a flash light and be careful when reaching in. Be careful not to scratch the mirrors. I used a dull toothpick to pull the switch out. It did not take much, just a hair to make it work. Put the lamp back it, put the door on, and plug it in. If that still doesn't work maybe try just pulling the switch out a little more but not too much or it may snap off.

I am so happy this worked.

Thank you so very much damonaf.

[ This message was edited by: propink on 2009-07-17 22:08 ]

onecarmel

Posted: 2011-08-28 14:35

Model: KDF-42E2000 United States Manufactured: December 2006

The above post works! There is a switch where the lamp plugs into that I bent just slightly out. The lamp must be removed to see the switch contact. It is on the bottom to the right of where the two lamp plug ins are. The switch is a very tiny metal contact. It may be hard to see so use a flash light and be careful when reaching in. Be careful not to scratch the mirrors. I used a dull toothpick to pull the switch out. It did not take much, just a hair to make it work. Put the lamp back it, put the door on, and plug it in. If that still doesn't work maybe try just pulling the switch out a little more but not too much or it may snap off.

After six years my Lamp blew out. I ordered a new one and after installing it it only worked for five hours then the red blinking light came on.

I called Sony customer service and all they could tell me was it was an open lamp door.

After reading this post I located the this silver switch, moved it outwards with a wooded tooth pick. The TV now works GREAT again.

Thank You Sooooooooooo much, Onecarmel

Buddkat

Posted: 2011-11-27 13:24

I'm having this problem also, my kdf-42e2000 is 5 years old and has already had 2 optical blocks replaced under warranty along with 2 or 3 lamps. It recently started showing the 3 blink red light, and me being the frugal person I am, not to mention being financially challenged, poked around on the internet and found this forum, which btw is great. Anyway, I tried the above fix twice and the tv would play for 20-30 minutes and shut off again. When I tried moving the contact, it seemed really loose, almost as if the arm/contact was broken. I decided to take the back off and see if that would give better access, which it did not. So instead of making a bad matter worse, I just took the lamp out one more time and played with the contact, reinstalled the lamp and turned it on........its been playing for 45 minutes now, fingers crossed, I hope 3rd time is he charm.

Once again....thanks for the info!

scooterdude

Posted: 2011-12-11 08:02

OMG, this fix (bending contact out) worked for me 1st time!

"...switch where the lamp plugs into that I bent just slightly out. The lamp must be removed to see the switch contact. It is on the bottom to the right of where the two lamp plug ins are. The switch is a very tiny metal contact."

ps: I used a coat hanger to tug the switch out a tad, cuz when my hand is in there, I can't see around it.

Thanks so much! 

Joey2871

Posted: 2011-12-12 18:42

didnt work for me, KDF-E42A10. New lamp still not working. any other ideas?

willy1375

Posted: 2011-12-12 21:32

so far this worked only had the tv on for a few minutes but so far so good . had the same problem w/ the 3 blinking red lights took the lamp out 5 or 6 times then looked on here i new i saw something on that so found it & it worked !!!

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.