Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:220
    Members:0
    Total of:220 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Misc and News

KP51WS500 vs KP51HW40 Dashboard
    Replies: 8 | Views: 2,668
    Last Reply: October 27, 2002, 6:16 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    NiteHawk | fingersmac | dnight | jayhaque | Chris_632 | JobJoseph |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KP51WS500 vs KP51HW40
    Chris_632

Posted: 2002-10-13 20:25

Hi all,

I've been browsing the forums for a little while now, and I'm in the market for a widescreen TV. I've been looking at the two listed in the subject, I understand the HW40 is last years model, and the WS500 is this years.

I have an opportunity to get the HW40 for $2559 CDN, or the WS500 for $3300 CDN.

My question is, what will I be missing by getting the older model? Is there a difference in picture quality? I've read that DVI isn't available in the older model, but I don't think that's a problem for me. I'm mostly concerned about picture quality. Right now I will primarily be using analog cable and the occasional DVD, with plans for HDTV as it becomes more available.

Thanks for any help..

NiteHawk

Posted: 2002-10-13 20:58

By not picking up the older model (HW40), you will be missing the "Flicker Problem" that has shown up on certain model serial numbers.

This problem has surfaced just recently (last 4-5 months) and Sony's is still trying to figure out what is going on.

Go for the WS500. Problem has not surfaced their yet, but then again, its a new model.

Chris_632

Posted: 2002-10-14 01:01

Thanks for the info NiteHawk. I had heard about this flicker problem I think on these forums.

I'll definately take that under consideration, if anyone else has input I'd be glad to hear it!

fingersmac

Posted: 2002-10-19 06:09

Hi Chris. I bought the KP-51hw40 on Aug 02. Flicker problem has started along with shift in color hue. Neither my dealer (Madman McKay's) nor my nearest Sony authorized repair tech has heard of the problem. I'm on Vancouver Island so I gearing up for a long and probably frustrating battle.

Chris_632

Posted: 2002-10-20 01:53

Well I bit the bullet and also bought the KP51HW40. The price difference was actually a little more than I thought earlier and seemed to good to pass up. So far so good, I've had it for 3 days, watched 3 DVD's, works and looks great.

I purchased from Sears, and because of these problems I've been hearing of I got the extended warranty. I mean, if it starts flickering and changing colors, I'm sure they're going to have to fix it or replace it, right?

Let me know how it goes with yours fingersmac..

jayhaque

Posted: 2002-10-23 15:29

I hate to be the one to point this out but the very last thing they will do is replace the unit. As for fixing it, I guess that depends on weather or not they find a fix for the flicker issue. Some people have had the problem for months already without a fix. I myself had 3 visits from a rep before totally losing it and contact the BBB and the NY Dept. of Consumer Affairs. I had to fight for a replacement. Also, I reported my problem on 9/14 its now 10/23 (I got word that I will get a replacement last week and it could take up to 3 weeks). To be honest, if i knew I would have to deal with this I would have stuck to my 25" Fisher tube from 1996.

It's not the fact that it breaks it's how these companies handle it.

JobJoseph

Posted: 2002-10-25 09:36

Just found this forum while doing some research on the HD200. I have the KP51HW40, bought it from Sears in July. I had the Samsung 51 something or other. It was Samsung's attempt at hitting the HDTV market. Anyway I had the Samsung unit for 7 months and had a slew of problems. After repair guys comming out 3 times to try to solve the problem I put the TV back in the box and wheeled it right into Sears and told 'em I wanted a different TV. Not only was I able to get a different TV I also made 'em knock $300 bucks off the price for all the headaches I had with the Samsung.

The moral of the story is. If you have problems with your Sony (I haven't had any yet), and the repair guys can't fix it. Take it back to Sears. But make sure you box it up and wheel it in there, don't call first.

Remember when you buy from a bigger company, you can make them go the extra mile when it comes to making something right.

Does anyone have the HD200 yet or is it still not for sale?

JJ

Chris_632

Posted: 2002-10-25 20:44

I agree JobJoseph, one of the reasons I went to Sears rather than one of the smaller electronics retailers. If I do run into this flicker problem down the road and Sony isn't doing anything about it, I'll have Sears to fall back on.

dnight

Posted: 2002-10-27 18:16

I have a 57Hw40, and the flicker proble has just hit me. It was excellent for about 2 months, now I can't even look at it. Just put in the service call, we'll see what happens.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.