Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:189
    Members:0
    Total of:189 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Sony KDP-51WS550 9 blinks, won't power up Dashboard
    Replies: 19 | Views: 12,865
    Last Reply: February 25, 2008, 4:08 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | liquidvw | ng19828 | ricky0254 | IKilledKenny |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony KDP-51WS550 9 blinks, won't power up
    liquidvw

Posted: 2006-12-26 20:04

Hello all,  I am new here.  Great sight with lots of information.  I have a problem.  My sony TV model number KDP-51WS550 won't power on.  It just blinks 9 times over and over.  I called Sony, but they weren't much help.  I ordered a service manual but thought I would check here to see if anyone could help.

Thank you in advance.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-12-28 19:19

Welcome to Agoraquest!  For the KDP-51WS550, 9 blinks means, "Zero Crossing Detector" and the probable cause locations listed are "D6166 or D6114 is open (A board)".

These are starting points for qualified service technicians.

-John

Sony A/V System: KV-36XBR450 FD Trinitron WEGA and AVD-LA2500PKG consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

[ This message was edited by: jehill on 2007-01-12 18:18 ]

liquidvw

Posted: 2006-12-29 15:04

Thanks for the reply.  I just got my service manual from sony.  It appears that 9 blinks = zero crossing detector.  D6166 or D6114 is open on the A board.  I could not find D6166 on the A board only D6114.  But since they say "or", I hope I'm good.  I just ordered the D6114 from Sony today.  Cheap.  But the issue is that the A board is the large board on the bottom center of the TV.  It is not easily accessable.

ng19828

Posted: 2007-01-08 16:01

Hello all, i'm new here. I'm having a problem with my sony kp51ws510 that started happening when i accidently short one of the crt-board and i never get the power on.
    When i try to turn it back on the power/standby light flashes 6 times. i have the repair manual and according to it the +5 line is overloaded (A,B boards). +line is shorted (A,B boards). The manual says if the standby light blinks 6 times unplugg the power and waite 10 min. so the tv can reset itselv. I did unplugg the power but it didn't help!!! Could one of the transistors burned ............... please help !!! i'm really appraciated

ricky0254

Posted: 2007-01-10 17:37

On 2006-12-29 15:04, liquidvw wrote:
    Thanks for the reply.  I just got my service manual from sony.  It appears that 9 blinks = zero crossing detector.  D6166 or D6114 is open on the A board.  I could not find D6166 on the A board only D6114.  But since they say "or", I hope I'm good.  I just ordered the D6114 from Sony today.  Cheap.  But the issue is that the A board is the large board on the bottom center of the TV.  It is not easily accessable.

liquidvwv i am having the same problem as you. Can you post more details about the parts d6166 and d6114. and also if you can please share details about access to board A since I dont have the service manual

liquidvw

Posted: 2007-01-11 09:34

the part is a diode.  The diode is in the A board, which is the center bottom board when you open the tv from the rear.  I am still waiting for my diode to be shipped from sony.  Once I get them I am going to do the repair.  It involves removing the A board, then de soldering and soldering the diode.  I will take some pictures of the job. 

liquidvw

Posted: 2007-01-11 09:38

the part is a diode.  The diode is in the A board, which is the center bottom board when you open the tv from the rear.  I am still waiting for my diode to be shipped from sony.  Once I get them I am going to do the repair.  It involves removing the A board, then de soldering and soldering the diode.  I will take some pictures of the job. 

ricky0254

Posted: 2007-01-12 12:46

I am looking for part numbers for the diodes so I can order them.
    If you have the service manual there should be a parts list in the back.

Thanks

[ This message was edited by: ricky0254 on 2007-01-12 17:22 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-01-12 18:47

The parts information is as follows:

Part        Part Number       Description                Cost (USD)
    D6114     6-500-567-21     Diode 10ERB20-TB5     3.15
    D6116     8-719-081-97     Diode MMDL914T1       6.49

Conclude that D6166 was a typo and that the correct part is D6116 because D6166 doesn't appear anywhere other than in the error code description.  Both parts listed above are in the ZCD circuit.

The parts may be purchased here.  Use the Part or Accessory Number to locate the parts.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

ricky0254

Posted: 2007-01-12 23:20

thanks liquidvw and jehill for the info. one more question for a diode expert. I googled  the Diode 10ERB20-TB5 and found specs for 10erb20 (i dont know what the tb5 is) and found that it is a 1Amp 200 V diode, so do you thing any 1amp200v diode will do the job or should I order it from sony....

TIA

liquidvw

Posted: 2007-01-15 08:26

I bought my diode from Sony.  It's $3 so I ordered a few of them and will keep them in stock for the next time...  I only replaced D6114. 

I replaced my diode this weekend and everything went fine.  It took about 3 hours start to finish.  The key to the job is labeling!!!  You have to completely dissamble most of the lower portion of your tv.  If you don't label each side of the wire you removed you will have trouble putting it back together.  I started with the first wire I removed and labled that "1" on both sides.  Then moved to the next wire, removed it and labeled it "2" on both sides, etc...  I kept my numbers together so that 1 through 7 were on the first board removed.  Then 7 through whatever were on the next board, etc.  This makes things organized when you need to put everything back together.  Once the A board is removed, I used a cutter to snip one side of the diode.  This way I could heat up one side of the solder pad and use a needle nose plier to pull it out of the board from underneath.  Then do the other side.  Without cutting the diode, removal is harder.  Make sure you notice the "black side" of the diode.  You need to install the new diode the same way it came out.  Also when soldering use a heat sink to absorb some of the heat from the soldering iron.  I put mine on the underside of the solder pad.  In total there were 5 boards that sit on top of the A board along with all the cabling.  On a scale of 1 to 10.  10 being the hardest, I give this job an 7.  At first glance, this jobs looks impossible but if you take your time and label everything you should be sucessful.

The tools needed for this job are philips and flat screw driver.  Flashlight.  15W soldering iron (don't use a soldering gun as it is to powerfull).  solder.  heat sink.  cutters.  Needle nose pliers.  White tape and extra fine sharpie marker.

ricky0254

Posted: 2007-01-16 20:12

i eneded up using the generic part because I didnt want to wait for shipping from sony. The part ended up costing 14 cents and I also only replaced d6114. Thaks for all the info you guys provided.

The job wasnt that complicated and at first glance like liquidvw says it looks impossible. But if you stick to it youll get it done and save yourslef a lot of money

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-01-19 09:50

I would try the diode that you located.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

liquidvw

Posted: 2007-01-25 09:21

I wanted to follow up as it has been a few weeks since my repair.  The TV is doing it again.  Man I hate my sony TV.  I called sony and ordered D6116.  I will replace this diode once I get it.  If that doesn't work, I guess I will replace the entire A board.

liquidvw

Posted: 2007-02-05 09:49

Diode D6116 is so small that I can hardly see it let alone de solder then resolder it.  I am sending it back.  The part is not field replaceable.  I guess I will have to order the entire A board.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.