Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:159
    Members:1
    Total of:160 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire22.6 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Need help with KDS-60A200 Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 7,788
    Last Reply: September 18, 2006, 6:46 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | AmericasTeam | kcmurphy88 | chris83 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Need help with KDS-60A200
    AmericasTeam

Posted: 2006-07-31 22:57

Alright boys I just bought this bad boy yesterday and I'm having a problem that I just cannot fix.  When I change it to a channel that is in Dolby Digital I get an annoying popup on the screen that says "Unsupported Audio Signal.  Check Your Device Output."  I've tried everything to fix this problem but still havent had any success.  I even tried turning the sound completely off but still didnt help.  Also I would like to fine tune the color and picture on this set and any tips would help alot.  Thanks in advance for any help.

Eric

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-08-01 19:09

Is that the correct model number?  When you, "change it to a channel", are you talking about the TV itself or another source such as a cable box?  If the latter, I believe that the set only accepts a PCM stereo input.  That would explain the message, "Check Your Device Output".

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

AmericasTeam

Posted: 2006-08-01 20:23

Sorry for the mis-spell but its the new KDS-60A2000.  What its doing is the cable box is were I'm changing the channel from but the TV is throwing this message up on the screen.  I have it wired from the cable box to the TV with a HDMI cable, so when lets say I turn it to a HBO channel with a Digital signal it then in turns throws the message up on the screen.  Sorry if I'm not explaning this correctly, its sometime's hard to type and explain this over the net.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-08-02 16:04

Thanks for the correction!  Just as I suspected!  You need to change the AUDIO settings for your cable box.  You do this by pressing the MENU button on your remote, navigating to Settings and then selecting Audio and Output.  Switch the output to Stereo and the problem should go away.  The downside is that if you have a receiver connected to the optical output from the cable box, you won't want to do this because it will prevent the receiver from getting the Dolby Digital signal.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

AmericasTeam

Posted: 2006-08-02 19:09

On 2006-08-02 16:04, jehill wrote:
    Thanks for the correction!  Just as I suspected!  You need to change the AUDIO settings for your cable box.  You do this by pressing the MENU button on your remote, navigating to Settings and then selecting Audio and Output.  Switch the output to Stereo and the problem should go away.  The downside is that if you have a receiver connected to the optical output from the cable box, you won't want to do this because it will prevent the receiver from getting the Dolby Digital signal.

Thanks John for all the help that you have given.  I was told buy the place I bought the TV from to do that also, but like you stated I loose my Digital sound through my reciever I did that and found this out.  From what there telling me they havent ever heard of this type problem but I bet there are others in the same boat. There has to be a way to fool the TV, maybe plugging in a opitcal cable from the TV and just open end it and not plug it into anything.  I'll give that a shot and post back with results.   Also the place that sold me the TV is also doing some research to see what they can find.

[ This message was edited by: AmericasTeam on 2006-08-03 16:01 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-08-03 15:29

There is no way to fool the TV.  I wouldn't expect plugging in a optical cable to the TV to help at all.  Once service centers have received enough complaints about the issue, a service bulletin will probably be issued.  What type output does you cable box have, HDMI or DVI?  If its the latter, there is no audio signal.  If the former, maybe your cable box itself may be configured not to provide an audio output via the HDMI connection.  Do you have instructions on how to enter the cable box setup menu?  If so, I would take a look at the options available.  If not, I think that I would complain to your cable provider about your issue.

-----------------
    -John

kcmurphy88

Posted: 2006-08-26 15:23

The KDS-60A2000 extraneous "unsupported audio" warning bug is a fairly annoying problem, affecting a number of users.

The typical set-up that produces the problem is:

HD Box with 5.1 output which is (unselectably) sent over all audio outputs. One either sends stereo out all audio spgots, or sends all 5.1. Typically, from the box, HDMI goes to the Sony KDS-60A2000 and an optical or coax audio cable goes to an AV receiver which is the intended audio processor.

The A2000 HDMI input can be either the full HDMI input (6) or the non-audio HDMI input (7) -- doesn't matter. The A2000's speakers are set to OFF and the speaker mode can be either fixed or variable (not grayed out for some reason).

In this mode, EVERY time the HDMI input restarts (Sony input change, or one of several HD box operations) a 5 second warning pop-up appears onscreen informing the user that he is operating in an unsupported audio mode. Which, 5.1 obviously is, given only 2 Sony speakers.

Except that the Sony is set for speakers OFF. Which makes it a BUG, not a feature. With speakers disabled, the set should completely ignore and not decode the audio portion of the HDMI stream. Certainly it should not warn the user about something that is a "don't care."

This is so annoying that most people will quickly abandon the use of the HDMI input, as the frequent warning makes it intolerable to use, or only use it with DVI sources.

Yes, this can be solved by an external HD box that (properly) allows routing of the digital audio to a selected output, but very few HD set-top boxes have this logic, and the user rarely has a choice of box anyway. Certainly not the fairly common DirecTV HR10-250.

It can also be solved with an AV receiver upgrade to HDMI switching which usually has an audio passthrough control, but not only does this defeat the (desired) one-source-one-input feature of the Sony to vary operation by input port, it costs money. Or for $300 you can get a Gefen box that dissasembles HDMI, splitting A&V,but really...

In short, this isn't really a user problem, it is a Sony firmware BUG, validating a clear "don't care" condition and interrupting common and frequent operations to report same in the middle of the screen.

Sorry about the rant. I really, really like this TV, but I really, really hate this popup. Makes me thing that HDMI was a bad move from DVI, and makes me wonder why Sony thinks that many high-end users are even interested in their TV's speakers.

chris83

Posted: 2006-09-18 18:46

Hello,

I have the KDS-50A2000 connected via HDMI on input 6 to a DirecTV H20 receiver. I also have an optical Toslink cable from the H20 to my Panasonic SC-HT900 home theatre for Dolby 5.1 surround sound. When I want to listen to 5.1 through the home theatre, I just turn the volume down on the A2000 and turn on the Panasonic. I haven't yet received any error messages when listening this way.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.