Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:219
    Members:0
    Total of:219 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Black Levels KD-27FS170 Dashboard
    Replies: 2 | Views: 1,308
    Last Reply: July 22, 2006, 3:42 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    andyross | AlexNJ |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Black Levels KD-27FS170
    AlexNJ

Posted: 2006-07-21 20:19

Greetings all. First time user here. Just installed a new KD-27FS170 yesterday. It replaced my 11 year old 27" Sony Tinitron. So obvously, I got used to a less then bright picture. Also, the old set had only composite input.

So, I expected a noticably brighter and sharper image--which is what I have. All my components are S-Video plus the component connection of my DVD player.

Overall, I am very pleased with what I see. The one excpetion is the rich blacks along with (seemingly) lack of shadow detail (clipping?). This occurs only where and when signifgant image areas are very dark--channel to channel, scene to scene. Many times things are satifactory and highlights do not seem to clip and contrast levels are good--I rather not change them.

Where I do see a difference is between S-Video and component inputs from my DVD player. I seem to regain a noticible amount of shadow detail when using component over S-Video.

Unfortunately, my Motorola cable box only has S-Video (and composite) outputs, so I can't test the difference with cable TV.

I hope I made some sense. Thank you in advance for the replies.

Alex

andyross

Posted: 2006-07-22 11:20

Most TV's, out-of-the-box, are set up with highly contrasty pictures. You can try using modes such as Pro or Movie, which are usually a bit better.

You can try increasing brightness, which adjusts black level. You may also want to turn down contrast, which adjusts white level (it can be harder to see loss of near-white than it is to see loss of dark gray.)

If you don't have one, get a reference DVD like Avia or Digital Video Essentials (DVE). They have instructions and patterns to help you set proper levels.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

AlexNJ

Posted: 2006-07-22 15:42

Thank you. I like the idea of a reference DVD--I'll get one.

Alex

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.