Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:173
    Members:0
    Total of:173 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Television Troubleshooting

KV-32V40 won't turn on - steady red LED flash Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 5,215
    Last Reply: July 1, 2007, 9:15 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | bizaff | mikenis | 47racer | Teleplayer |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-32V40 won't turn on - steady red LED flash
    bizaff

Posted: 2006-05-17 21:02

It's worked fine for most of 7 years (1 warranty trip), but now when I power it up, picture does nothing. The red LED in the front has a steady flash - no repeating pattern.

It sounds different when it starts now also - it just clicks, instead of the click and CRT starty-noise.

Any ideas? My initial scouring of the web hasn't helped - hopefully someone here can.

Thanks!

mikenis

Posted: 2006-06-26 09:00

I recently lost video and sound on Sony KV32V40 TV set. Red light keeps blinking next to the power button, but nothing happens. Looks like Tube doesn’t get enough power to get initialize and TV is dead. I disconnect from the wall outlet for a few days and did some research on the internet. I found a lot of similar issues where people experience same type of problem. People recommend simple solution by re-soldering IC561 (TDA8172) pins on V-OUT circuit (module) but it didn't help to me at all. I re-solder everything on the main board directly under the tube, but nothing helped. I would like to buy TDA8172 and replace it, the price of it is only $2 and if it helps that would be great. However, if someone found better explanation why this problem occurred and they have a solution besides simple re-soldering I would like to hear it so is everyone in US who has this type of TV set. Please respond.

47racer

Posted: 2006-06-30 09:08

I just had the same thing happen to my TV. Is there a solution to this or do I need to buy a new TV?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-06-30 14:58

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Try re-soldering the connections to Horizontal Driver Transformer T501 and replacing Horizontal output transistor Q502 on the A board and IC601 and fuse R607 on the G board, if they are bad.  All of these failures have been reported due to the poor T501 connections.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

mikenis

Posted: 2006-11-15 06:56

John,

I tried a few things on my TV set Sony kv-32v40. I got servicing manual for it as well with schematics of all boards. After study schematics tried to check input and output voltages. Didn't help much.
    I would like to fix it and I need your help. Please help. Recommend what you think is the fix for my tv problem. LED is constantly blinks in front as soon as you turn the TV on. CRT and sound is dead. Previously when TV was working it was making high pitch background noise, but acceptable to watch TV. I dont want to buy new TV, not yet.
    And if you dont mind, can you post your email address for easy communication? My email address is
    (Email Address will not display unless member has 100 posts or is a Premium Member, see the great benefits premium member have by clicking here)
    Thanks in advance.

[ This message was edited by: mikenis on 2006-11-15 06:58 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-11-19 15:42

I can't provide much more help than I already have as I don't have any trouble shooting experience with this set.  This is where a tech from an authorized Sony servicenter comes in.  Sorry!

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Teleplayer

Posted: 2007-07-01 09:15

I recently had similar problems with my KV-32V40 and successfully fixed it.  It had two symptoms.  Sometimes the red light would keep blinking and it would never turn on.  This is because some voltage or signal is not right and the CPU keeps it from turning on.  Most of the time the TV would come on, but the picture would start to shrink up towards the top of the screen, leaving the bottom blank for the first few inches.  If I moved the TV around a bit, I was usually able to make the picture come back down to normal.  It was very sensitive to any motion.  Sometimes the picture would just go away, and once that happened only a restart would make it come back.  I also found that keeping the set turned on even without a picture would sometimes make it run on the next restart.  That is something to try if you are having these problems.

Anyways, I strongly suspected a bad connection, most likely a solder joint.  I looked and looked but didn't see anything obvious.  After reading these posts I centered on IC561 and everything in the general area of the V-out circuit.  Running the set with the back removed, I poked at various components with a long wooden dowel.  IC561 and everything around it was very sensitive to touch.  I had to use a mirror so I could see the picture at the same time.  I also use an isolation transformer for safety, but so long as you are careful you don't really need it.  I resoldered everything in an area about 3x3 inches.  I also resoldered all the pins of the flyback transformer - from prior experience.  PS- always check the solder on the main tube socket as well.  After the resoldering, the problem was fixed !!!!!

It's not usually good enough to just re-heat the solder on these TV's.  Consumer electronic circuit boards are basically junk.  If you re-heat the solder it won't make it flow any better.  What I do is use a solder sucker or braid and actually remove the solder and then apply new solder so the flux can make a good connection.  Sometimes you have to do this a few times on the same connection.  Be careful not to add too much heat because these crappy boards release some sort of chemical that gets into the solder and gives you a contaminated joint that doesn't look good.  Just take your time and do it right.  I use a head mounted magnifier because my eyes are not what they used to be.  Good luck.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.