Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:255
    Members:0
    Total of:255 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

The 5000es compatible with the next gen sound?? Dashboard
    Replies: 13 | Views: 1,658
    Last Reply: May 6, 2006, 1:26 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | rb | jehill | Toli | karsfri | lemoncadillac |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author The 5000es compatible with the next gen sound??
    karsfri

Posted: 2006-05-03 18:53

Now with the new movie formats, HD-DVD and BLU-RAY there is not only improvement in picture qualaty but also sound. Dolby is coming with Dolby digital plus and Dts with Dts-HD.

But here is my question, will I be able to enjoy it on my, 5000es receiver. Sombody told me that toslink did not have enough bandwidth to transfer high defenition sound (I have the agoraquest's reccomended glass toslink if that changes anything) so I should just use the analog connections, but my first next-gen player will probably ps3, but that won't have any analog connection, only toslink, and HDMI. The only possibilty I see is if I could by some sort of converter between the HDMI and the analog caples. Would that be possible, or can you see any other way? I'm really concerned about this, so your saying on this will be greatly appriciated.

[ This message was edited by: karsfri on 2006-05-03 18:53 ]

rb

Posted: 2006-05-03 19:02

I don't think it will be possible unless your next gen player has analog ouputs.  Then you could use the 7.1 analog input on the 5000.

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-03 19:24

Your Glass Toslink has penty of bandwidth to handl any Digital Audio signals that are designed to pass over the Optical interface.

The new High Definition Digital Audio Formats are designed to pass over the HDMI interface with its capicity to handle up to 8 channels of 24/192 Digital PCM Audio.

I suspect that the HD DVD players will not convert the High Definition Digital Audio to their respective Analog channels just like they do not convert the 1080p Video portion to Analog Composite Video, but rather transmit both the HD Audio and Video in their naitive Digital Formats via HDMI.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

karsfri

Posted: 2006-05-03 20:49

thanks for the replies. I'ts great to hear that my glass toslink will probably enough. Also, that way the sound dosen't have to be converted from digital to analog only to be converted back to digital

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-04 02:21

Just to recap:

The Glass Toslink will do a fine job of transmitting the DD, DTS, and PCM signals.

Multichannel 24/192 PCM will only be transmitted by HDMI.

~Maxx~

-----------------

karsfri

Posted: 2006-05-04 10:35

I apperantly read your answer to fast, I thought for a moment there that I was safe. Guess I have to let the old format due for now, and then buy 7100es or it's successor in a couple of years. It's not like the dts is bad or anything. Also the right player can do wonders, and there are many updates to be done this summer that I can look forward to

karsfri

Posted: 2006-05-04 15:39

hey, one quick question, If the volume is always changing all by it self, dose that mean I don't have enough electricity for it?

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-04 15:42

• Member Quote

On 2006-05-04 10:35, karsfri wrote: Also the right player can do wonders, and there are many updates to be done this summer that I can look forward to.

(Multichannel) MCH 24/192 PCM Audio is going to sound fantastic, but remember this is Hi Rez PCM and not iLink buffered DSD so the player that is used is going to play a critical role in the quality of the sound.

You might want to wait for a while and hold out for a Player/Receiver pairing that will deliver excellent sound quality from Hi Rez MCH 24/192 PCM Audio.

I have no doubt that Sony will have an unbeatable offering at their pricepoint, but the equipment is just not available as yet. So don't feel too bad that you don't have it because no one else does either.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-04 15:42

On 2006-05-04 15:39, karsfri wrote:
    hey, one quick question, If the volume is always changing all by it self, dose that mean I don't have enough electricity for it?

karsfri,

What exactly do you mean? Do you mean, for example, that during different parts of a movie the sound is sometines softer and sometimes louder? If this is what you mean, it will be especially noticable when the DRC is set to OFF.

Toli

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-04 17:19

On 2006-05-04 10:35, karsfri wrote:
    Guess I have to let the old format due for now, and then buy 7100es or it's successor in a couple of years. It's not like the dts is bad or anything. Also the right player can do wonders, and there are many updates to be done this summer that I can look forward to

karsfri,

Just to let you know, in the case you are really thinking about it, you can order a STR-DA7100ES from Oade for $1,190.00 total including shipping.

Toli

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-05 02:58

• Member Quote

On 2006-05-04 15:39, karsfri wrote:

I have heard many people describe the problems that they have had with low AC line voltage that went as much as 10-15 volts below the norm on a 120v line, but none of them ever complained of varible volume.

You might post this question on the Amp/Receiver Forum and hopefully our resident Tech expert John Hill will respond.

~Maxx~

-----------------

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-05 12:38

Sony doesn't provide the minimum and maximum AC input voltage specifications.  At higher volume levels, the volume is controlled by varying the voltage applied to the output transistors.  Your symptoms suggest that the power supply is on the border line of being able to maintain the voltage needed for the desired volume setting.  This definitely could be due to low AC input voltage.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-05 20:09

Low voltage will also increase your amp draw. I don't know what effect that would have on a 5000ES. I have a Monster power 3600 line conditioner and see my voltage change about 5 to 7 volts.

Lemon

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-06 01:26

Reasonably well built Audio gear should be able to withstand the normal AC line current fluxuations that all power grids have that is why they have voltage regulation, but serious chronic under voltages would need to be addressed with power regeneration to make up the difference.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.