Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:204
    Members:1
    Total of:205 users
    MemberLogged
    jttar0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

the importance of flagship highend cables for flagship highend set-ups Dashboard
    Replies: 25 | Views: 4,146
    Last Reply: May 11, 2006, 1:59 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jocktheglide | Maxxwire | rb | Toli | mgh0001 |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author the importance of flagship highend cables for flagship highend set-ups
    mgh0001

Posted: 2006-05-04 09:28

On 2006-05-03 15:14, Maxxwire wrote:

On 2006-05-03 08:30, mgh0001 wrote: i am looking for a cd player. was thinking of the scd-xa9000es or scd-1 (balanced output).
    mike

Mike since you are looking for a World Class CD Player have you ever considered getting the ModWright NS999ES Signature Truth Platinum level Mods done to your Player?

I urge you to check out the full Positive Feedback Review. to get an idea of how truly astounding this Player sounds.

This is the ultimate Sony Player that this review claims sounds better than the $12,000 Griphon Mikado!

This is definately the best sounding Player I've ever auditioned!

This is the dedicated Power Supply for the Discrete Vacuum Tube output stage-

Go to www.ModWright.com for a complete description of the work.

Modwright does the following major upgrades:

1) A class A tube analog output stage (zero negative feedback) with a separate external power supply,

2) Bybee filter upgrade,

3) A new, more accurate clock, the LC Audio XO3

4) The Revelation Audio Reference Cryo-Silver tube P.S. umbillical cable (to connect P.S. to 999ES CD player),

5) Harris FRED ultrafast soft-recovery diodes,

6) The external P.S. has choke current regulation and discrete FET-based voltage regulation,

7) Auricap coupling caps at the analog output stage.

The ModWright modified NS999ES player consists of two pieces:

1) The Sony 999ES player that now contains the two 5687 dual triodes (they are located at the rear right hand corner of the top of the player. The tubes are mounted on an internal board but stick out with one half of the tube appearing above the plane of the top plate of the player)

2) The external power supply (black case) connected to the player chassis with the Revelation Audio Reference Cryo-Silver tube P.S. umbillical cable.

This is the ultimte incarnation of the NS999ES and I have heard it easily blow away both the SCD-1 and a $US 6,200 Audio Aero Capitole 24/192 upsampling player in auditions I have done involving the KEF Reference Monitors and the B&W 800 speakers respectively!

~Maxx~

~Maxx~

howdo maxx,
        what about the modwright SCD-1 - Absolute Truth Mod . surely that would be better?

mike

-----------------
    Sim2 domino 55m rear proj,Sony SCD-XA9000ES sacd deck,2xTA-FA777ES intergrated stereo amp,4xSS-X90ED flagship speakers,MDS-JA333ES md deck,DVP-NS999ES dvd/sacd,ST-D777ES dab tuner,Sony TA-E9000ES processor,SA-WX900 sub-woofer,3xaudioquest sky interconnect

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-04 16:10

mgh0001- I brought up the subject of the Modwright Signature Truth Mods simply because you already own the NS999ES and thought that you might like to explore its celebrated sonic potential for less than $US 2,000.

If you are interested in buying an SCD-1 for around $US 2,000 and then having ModWright apply the Absolute Truth Mods to it for another $3,500 then that's another option. BTW- Do they make an XLR Balanced version of the Audioquest Sky?

You might email Dan and see what his opinion is on the difference in performance between the two Players after they've been Modded.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

rb

Posted: 2006-05-04 17:05

On 2006-05-03 19:44, Maxxwire wrote:
    Rick- I used to run my Power Amp with a pair of Transparent Supers and they sounded great. I partially replaced them with a pair of Transparent Ultras because I had Ultras between the Digital front end and the Preamp and I wanted the continuity of sound that matching interconnects have.

When I switched out the Transparent Supers there was an improvement in the sound with the Ultras, but it was only incremental and certainly not anywhere close to being commensurate with the 100% price difference between the two cables.

This is why I stick with the Ultras and don't move up to the $5,500 Transparent Reference interconnects because I expect that the improvement in sound will be relatively the same as between the Super and the Ultra only at a much greater price difference.

~Maxx~

Maxx that's good to know.  I also prefer to have the same cable from source to amp, preferably all the way to the speakers.  That was part of my attraction to DHLabs wire.  With my modified units I can virtually use the same wire beginning internally with a source component and carry it all the way through to inside the speakers. 

Tranparent's Super series is certainly more managable.  I wonder if they also make hookup wire for components?

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-05 03:09

Rick- Because Transparent Audio wire is all network tuned to specification for each individual length I doubt that it would be applicable to internal wiring.

Using all of the same wire both inside the equipment as well as connecting it sounds like a very purist concept! If my equipment used point to point wiring instead of the printed circuit boards it was designed around this universal wiring method would be well worth consideration.

~Maxx~

-----------------

rb

Posted: 2006-05-05 10:49

Maxx most equipment as you know use circuit boards these days.  With most equipment they also use average quality RCA jacks that connect to the circuit boards with metal tabs.  My preamp also uses circuit boards but it appears that it would be a simple mod to install Vampire or Cardas RCA jacks with high quality hook up wire connected to the boards.  The problem is that my preamp has 26 RCA jacks.

-----------------
    rb

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-06 01:44

Rick- That's some kind of full service Preamp you have there with 26 RCA jacks! My Preamp only has 14 RCA jacks and that includes the Phono inputs.

Whenever I see a piece of Audio equipment that has been retrofitted with Cardas RCA jacks I know that the owner cared about the quality of his sound.

By using high quality Cardas RCA jacks you would not only be enhancing the build quality of your Preamp, but you would also be supporting the Oregon economy which is much appreciated.

If there are any RCA jacks on your Preamp that you decide not to upgrade don't forget that you can cap them off with Cardas Caps.

Are you going to continue using the excellent DH Labs wire to connect the new Cardas RCA jacks?

~Maxx~

-----------------

rb

Posted: 2006-05-08 02:03

Maxx yes that's the plan.  There are 12 jacks just for the 6 channel input and output.

-----------------
    rb

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-08 02:14

rb- This sounds like a very effective upgrade! It will both sound great and look great too!

~Maxx~

-----------------

mgh0001

Posted: 2006-05-09 08:03

On 2006-05-04 16:10, Maxxwire wrote:
    mgh0001- I brought up the subject of the Modwright Signature Truth Mods simply because you already own the NS999ES and thought that you might like to explore its celebrated sonic potential for less than $US 2,000.

If you are interested in buying an SCD-1 for around $US 2,000 and then having ModWright apply the Absolute Truth Mods to it for another $3,500 then that's another option. BTW- Do they make an XLR Balanced version of the Audioquest Sky?

You might email Dan and see what his opinion is on the difference in performance between the two Players after they've been Modded.

~Maxx~

howdo maxx

yes audioquest sky is available in xlr or rca
    do you have dans email address?
    mike

-----------------
    Sim2 domino 55m rear proj,Sony SCD-XA9000ES sacd deck,2xTA-FA777ES intergrated stereo amp,4xSS-X90ED flagship speakers,MDS-JA333ES md deck,DVP-NS999ES dvd/sacd,ST-D777ES dab tuner,Sony TA-E9000ES processor,SA-WX900 sub-woofer,3xaudioquest sky interconnect

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-09 13:24

mgh0001- Dan Wright's email address is-

Modwright@yahoo.com

If you are looking for a Player that will challenge your Audioquest Sky interconnects to give their very best possible performance, then Dan Wright is the one who can make that happen!

The last time I was at Dan's workshop he had a whole stack of NS999ES Players waiting to be Modified and having heard the results of those Modifications I can understand why so many Audiophiles were choosing this cost effective option which out performs equipment far beyond its pricepoint.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-11 01:59

I just saw a pair of Transparent Super Interconnects w/XL Technology on Audiogon for $225!

If anyone is interested act quickly because they probably won't be for sale for more than a day.

~Maxx~

-----------------

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.