Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:214
    Members:0
    Total of:214 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

is my friend crazy... Dashboard
    Replies: 4 | Views: 902
    Last Reply: April 16, 2006, 3:20 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jocktheglide | Maxxwire | Toli |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author is my friend crazy...
    jocktheglide

Posted: 2006-04-16 11:39

is my friend crazy or stupid he told me he couldnt tell the diff between  his little home theatre in a box that cost him 200 bucks vs the surround system at ultimate electronics that cost like 2k total for the setup.  I told him that his surrouns system I cant hear nothing in the rear or heck the surround speakers even working I told him your system should, "envelope" you in the movie not just hear the front two speakers.  Then he told me its because the UE place had their speakers in prominent places to make you hear the surround.  he told me the system I plan to buy (3100es receiver sony and athena speakers 7.1 total) that im wasting my money and you cant tell the difference when I have everything bought and put together.   His little panasonic home theatre I was reading the wattage on the surround is freakin only like 30watts/speaker and the fronts are like 60 and sub 100 his is 5.1

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-16 11:57

jocktheglide,

I don't know that he's crazy, maybe he really doesn't notice a difference or maybe anything more than he has now is not of interest, because what he has works for him. The setup you are looking at should make a fine start to your new home theater, it'll sound great and I bet that you'll be happy with it. Not everyone has the same taste and desire while building a home theater system, some people prefer just t opull it out of a box and be done with it, and if that works for your friend, fine. But, it is an ongoing hobby that involves tweaking, testing, speaker choice & placement, experimentation with cable & wiring upgrades and component upgrades, etc. and so on. Some people just don't have a desire like we (us here at Agoraquest) do, and you may never be able to convince him, but if he hears how great your new system sounds, maybe he'll change his mind.

Toli

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

jocktheglide

Posted: 2006-04-16 12:00

well thats just it just recently I bought a new home and got back into home theatre and been building it and he has gotten jelous of my tv already. So now he is getting into the home theatre kick since I got into it due to my tv alone.  oh well once I get everything i place I will post pics of my setup....

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-16 12:10

On 2006-04-16 12:00, jocktheglide wrote:
    So now he is getting into the home theatre kick since I got into it due to my tv alone.  oh well once I get everything i place I will post pics of my setup....

jocktheglide,

I certainly look forward to the pictures of your setup. Once he sees what you are really accomplishing with your new setup & how much enjoyment you get from it, and the awesome sound of your new Athenas, maybe he'll have an appreciation. It almost sounds like he may be headed that way now.

Toli

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-16 15:20

jocktheglide- First off I think that your friend is envious of the fine Home Theater you are building.

Second, in store Audio electronics are known for poor set up and abismal acoustics so don't judge anything by comparisons to what you hear set up in a store. I've heard $60k Audio systems set up in a store that sounded no better than my 1961 Zenith Tabletop Tube Radio because they were so disadvantaged by being set up in a store.

Finally, be patient with your friend and show him the way by how your DA3100ES, Athena speakers and possibly a Subwoofer combination sound better than he ever knew a Home Theater could sound and he will want something for himself.

Do stay tuned to Agoraquest though because there are many inexpensive modifications, additions and adjustments you can make to your new Home Theater to take its sound qality to even higher levels of fidelity.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.