Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:205
    Members:0
    Total of:205 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

One Subwoofer or Two???? Dashboard
    Replies: 30 | Views: 4,805
    Last Reply: April 24, 2006, 3:14 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jocktheglide | Maxxwire | Troy | SPCOOLIN | jttar | rb | lemoncadillac | SNY4ME | Thumperama |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author One Subwoofer or Two????
    Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-06 15:36

I can't speak for the butt kickers themselves, but putting a Subwoofer or two on couch duty produces effects that can't be duplicated with in room Subwoofers without doing structural damage.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Thumperama

Posted: 2006-04-06 18:14

I happened across an audio dealer going out of business and he made me a crazy cheap deal on a pair of JBL S120PII's - 12" front firing with 400W built-in amps (about the cost of one Sony SA-WX700).  So I'm going to give them a try for now.  I'm putting one up front and one behind the couch at the back of the room.  I may have to phase the rear sub 180 degrees, but I've got quite a bit of experimenting with speaker placement to do (within cosmetic limits that the Mrs. places on me).  I'm just now setting it all up, so I haven't been able to make any conclusions thus far, but I've had good experiences with JBL over the years, so I'm hoping for the best.

I did make one change in the equipment set-up.  The DVP-NS3100ES DVD player I bought mail order was supposed to be silver to match the amp, but a black one was delivered instead.  After they told me that they could no longer get silver, I ended up finding a deal on a DVP-NS9100ES for $800.00 in silver.  (I told the wife that they were the same price just to keep the peace) It's quite a bit heaver than the 3100 and matches the amp perfectly.  If anyone wants a black DVP-NS3100ES, let me know.

[ This message was edited by: Thumperama on 2006-04-06 18:16 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-06 21:39

Thumperama,

A pair of these bigger bass - jbl

should provide some "thump" in your room!

Please do post back your review of these JBL's after you get a chance to get set up and audition one of your favorite action movies. Best of luck.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-06 22:28

• Member Quote

On 2006-04-06 18:14, Thumperama wrote: I'm putting one up front and one behind the couch at the back of the room.

I would think that this arrangement should create authentic "Thumperama"!

Congratulations on the great deal that you got on the two 12" JBL Subwoofers!

~Maxx~

-----------------

Thumperama

Posted: 2006-04-06 22:33

That's them!  They are big and heavy, that's for sure.  I'm not an expert, but I'll post my opinions of them once everything is set up and I've had a chance to experiment with placement.

On 2006-04-06 21:39, jttar wrote:
    Thumperama,

A pair of these bigger bass - jbl

should provide some "thump" in your room!

Please do post back your review of these JBL's after you get a chance to get set up and audition one of your favorite action movies. Best of luck.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Troy

Posted: 2006-04-07 07:28

Holy cow...those are huge!

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-07 15:27

Sometimes size does matter and this is one of them!

~Maxx~

-----------------

SNY4ME
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-16 23:11

Hey, guys. I would just like to say that I have recently moved into a new Condo. Now, I have unleashed my second SA-WX700.

I just happened to run into my first neighbour who lives one floor below me. (We were the first to get posession on this side of the building). But I've been demoing my system to some friends lately. Moderate volumes of course I haven't ran my system above half volume yet, but with some decent hiphop music it's literaly shaking my whole house. FANTASTIC!!

Anyway, my girlfriend asked him if we were too loud at all. He started laughing, and said, "Yes there was a couple minutes when our whole house was shaking."

Surprising, because there is quite an elaborate sound deadening sytem in place between floors. But my 700's push WAY past it.

I love these subs. I'm sure there are plenty of better units out there. But I love these things and they are not even broken in yet.

Lyle

[ This message was edited by: SNY4ME on 2006-04-18 00:03 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-17 02:24

Whatever sound proofing they installed in your condo was probably designed for normal everyday noise and not the 55 ft long 20 hz infrasonic sine waves that your SA WX700 pumps out!

~Maxx~

-----------------

SNY4ME
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-17 19:48

• Member Quote

On 2006-04-17 02:24, Maxxwire wrote:
    Whatever sound proofing they installed in your condo was probably designed for normal everyday noise and not the 55 ft long 20 hz infrasonic sine waves that your SA WX700 pumps out!

~Maxx~

Ooooh Yeah!!! Poor Bastards.

Lyle

rb

Posted: 2006-04-17 21:57

On 2006-04-16 23:11, SNY4ME wrote:
    Hey, guys. I would just like to say that I have recently moved into a new Condo. Now, I have unleashed my second SA-WX700.

I just happened to run into my first neighbour who lives one floor below me. (We were the first to get posession on this side of the building). But I've been demoing my system to some friends lately. Moderate volumes of course I haven't ran my system above half volume yet, but with some decent hiphop music it's literaly shaking my whole house. FANTASTIC!!

Anyway, my girlfriend asked him if we were too loud at all. He started laughing, and said, "Yes there was a couple minutes when his whole house was shaking."

Surprising, because there is quite an elaborate sound deadening sytem in place between floors. But my 700's push WAY past it.

I love these subs. I'm sure there are plenty of better units out there. But I love these things and they are not even broken in yet.

Lyle

Glad to hear it's working out with the duelie subs Ian.  Yes there are better subs out there but for the $$$ the SAWX's are really high quality and tremendous value.

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

jocktheglide

Posted: 2006-04-23 22:39

so whats final conclusion two or one?

rb

Posted: 2006-04-24 00:14

On 2006-04-17 21:57, rb wrote:

On 2006-04-16 23:11, SNY4ME wrote:

Anyway, my girlfriend asked him if we were too loud at all. He started laughing, and said, "Yes there was a couple minutes when his whole house was shaking."

Lyle

Glad to hear it's working out with the duelie subs Ian.  Yes there are better subs out there but for the $$$ the SAWX's are really high quality and tremendous value.

Glad to hear it's working out with the duelie subs Ian (where in the #### did I get Ian from?, I mean Lyle sorry about that!  Yes there are better subs out there but for the $$$ the SAWX's are really high quality and tremendous value.

rb
    I listen to music in StereO

[ This message was edited by: rb on 2006-04-24 00:16 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-24 03:02

• Member Quote

On 2006-04-23 22:39, jocktheglide wrote:
    so whats final conclusion two or one?

I think that it depends on the room and how much of a Bass Freak the individual is. The same amount of Bass does not satisfy everyone.

I started out with 1 Subwoofer which became 2 until I added a 3rd and after the 4th Subwoofer I decided that that was plenty of 10 hz capable Subwoofers for me and about all that the 70 Amp Power Supply that was running the two 500 watt plate amps could handle on transient peaks.

You may have enough Subwoofers if: Pictures get blown off of the walls while watching a Movie.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Thumperama

Posted: 2006-04-24 09:34

Well I've had a chance to play with the JBL's and I've come away extremely impressed.  I started with just one at the front left corner of the room and actually could've just left it at that, as the bass is strong and tight.  The Mrs. wasn't real pleased about the big black box in the corner, but that's just because she hasn't seen anyone on HGTV utilize one in their decorating scheme yet.  But after she heard the difference it made in the sound she quickly signed up as a believer.  The STR-DA7100ES gives plenty of power to the satellite speakers so that the sub doesn't overpower the sound.  (I'm using the Sony SS-DD100 speaker system (Sony's top of the line surround speakers from a few years back) but with the JBL subs instead of the Sony subs.)  I then added the second JBL sub in the front right corner (once again with some flak from the Mrs. for putting ANOTHER big black box in the room) and then watched the attack sequence from Pearl Harbor, the beach landing sequence from Saving Private Ryan and then finished it off with a race sequence from Days of Thunder (all at a sufficient volumn level to really FEEL the sound).  The Mrs. did admit that it was impressive, but that if I ever did that again....yada, yada, yada.  My neighbor from across the alley called to find out what was causing the pictures on his walls to vibrate.  So I invited him over to check it out (and sent the Mrs. to the store for some shopping therapy).  I don't think I've ever seen someone grin quite that big.

So now I'm thinkin' that if I get one more of these subs and hide it behind the couch before the Mrs. gets home, I'll have the ultimate in "feel-around" sound.  I don't have a great deal of experience with different sub-woofers, but I am completely sold on the JBL S120PII's.  I probably wouldn't have gotten them if I hadn't stumbled into such a great deal as MSRP is $699.99 ea. but I've seen them as cheap as $290 on eBay.  I also think that you need a pretty powerful system, as I could see how one of these could easily overpower lesser systems.  If you've got the room and the power, I don't think you'd be disappointed.

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.