Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:264
    Members:0
    Total of:264 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

One Subwoofer or Two???? Dashboard
    Replies: 30 | Views: 4,809
    Last Reply: April 24, 2006, 3:14 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jocktheglide | Maxxwire | Troy | SPCOOLIN | jttar | rb | lemoncadillac | SNY4ME | Thumperama |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author One Subwoofer or Two????
    Thumperama

Posted: 2006-03-15 17:53

My wife and I both work for the same bank and we received our bonuses for 2005 last week (I know, took them long enough).  So with our $$$ windfall, I took her out to look at televisions.  We both fell in love with the Sony KDS-R60XBR1.  The picture is amazing! 

I decided that the old A/V equipment just won't do the new TV justice, so I picked up a STR-DA7100ES receiver, a DVP-NS3100ES DVD player, a DHG-HDD500 DVR recorder and a RDR-VX515 DVD/VHS combo recorder.  I've still got my eye on a couple of other items, but decided that I'll wait until I get this setup before I add anything else.

So now I'm looking at speakers.  I'm looking at subwoofers first, as my JBL surround speakers will do fine for the interim.  Do I go with one SA-WX900 or two SA-WX700's?  I can get either for the same money.  Is there an advantage to using two subs over one?  I'm also open for suggestions on surround speakers.

Thanks,

Jeff

[ This message was edited by: Thumperama on 2006-03-15 18:07 ]

SNY4ME
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-15 19:18

Well, I would say that one 900 would definatily do the job of two 700's. Also you will probably see a lower frequency response from the 900. But two 700's would definatily fill the room better and probaly make your music listening more enjoyable.

I personaly have one 700 right now and I think it is great, more than enough low end for me. I am planning on getting a second one soon. So, that way when I move, it will allow me more flexability. Also, any of the guys around here that have spoken up about multiple subs think that it is awesome. I don't think anybody regrets it.

I haven't heard the 900, but I'm sure it is amazing. But I would go for the two 700's. It would probably be cheaper too.

Lyle

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-15 23:33

Multiple Subwoofers are great! I run a 4 channel component Subwoofer that has frequency response down to 10 hz and it puts you right in the middle of the action. It naver fails to drop the jaw of everyone in the room.

Nice choice of equipment on your part. You are really going to love the DA7100ES!

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-16 16:10

What size is the room? What is the seating arraignment? I use 3. 1 in front and 2 in the rear.

-----------------
    KDF-E50A10
    SUNFIRE ULTIMATE(FORMALLY 4ES/5000ES)
    DVP-NS9100ES W/BEL CANTO AIDA DAC
    F-RECTILINEAR 4-1/2/KLIPSCH RB5
    C-2 KLIPSCH KG 1.3/S-KLIPSCH RCW5
    R-SYNERGISTICS S92 W/2-12"KSW12/ADS MOD.10/Sony TA-AX435
    Sunfire EQ Signature
    HTS 3600-BDP-S1

[ This message was edited by: lemoncadillac on 2006-03-16 16:11 ]

Thumperama

Posted: 2006-03-16 16:22

The room is 15 feet wide by 20 feet long, a couch faces the TV approx. 10 feet away with side chairs on either side halfway between the couch and the TV.  I'll try to get some pics together of the setup.

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-16 20:03

If you can afford it 2. 1 rear in the back of the room or behind the sofa. 1 in front. My guts vibrate when I watch a well recorded movie ( Batman Begins).

Lemon

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-17 02:18

I have a 2 channel 500 watt push-pull 12" Subwoofer directly behind my listeing chair and its like an action adventure ride! It allows you to be part of the action!

~Maxx~

-----------------

rb

Posted: 2006-03-17 03:08

On 2006-03-15 17:53, Thumperama wrote:

So now I'm looking at speakers.  I'm looking at subwoofers first, as my JBL surround speakers will do fine for the interim.  Do I go with one SA-WX900 or two SA-WX700's?  I can get either for the same money.  Is there an advantage to using two subs over one?  I'm also open for suggestions on surround speakers.

Thanks,

Jeff

[ This message was edited by: Thumperama on 2006-03-15 18:07 ]

Jeff if I were you I'd go with 3 subs.  I would use a SAWX700 for each of your front left right channels and I'd go with the SAWX900 for the LFE channel, wait a minute that's what I do except I use 4 700's.  I have 2 on each of my front channels. 

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-19 14:54

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-17 03:08, rb wrote:I use 4700's. I have 2 on each of my front channels.

Having 2 Subwoofers on each of your front speakers is a sign that you take your StereO very seriously!

~Maxx~

-----------------

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-19 15:13

While I am a Big Fan of the SA WX700....I have not heard a WX900.....

Another consideration....If you would like to stay with one sub....and I'm not sure of the price of the WX900......

You might look into SVS......Hard to beat for the Money......Hard to find any one saying anything not Great about their Sub's....or their Service !

http://www.svsound.com/products-sub.cfm

Good Luck....

Steve~ 

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

Thumperama

Posted: 2006-03-19 16:35

I've decided that one sub just isn't enough.  I'm going to go with two of the 700's to start with and may add another behind the couch for the added "feel".

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-19 16:59

Jeff~

I have the exact same size room as you....And unless you are experienced in multi sub setup and calibration when placing them in different locations you may want to re-think the 2 sub idea.....

Phase Issues and cancellations can be a hard thing to tame.......

I have a single SVS 20-39PCI....which will go lower with more SPL than the SA WX700s.....And is more than enough for my room....it also is cleaner than the WX700 and can be had for around the same price as two WX700s at retail....if not less

Plus the service and support from SVS is second to none....I suggest you shoot them an e-mail or even give them a call....they will shoot straight with you....will recommend only what is necessary.

Again...It is not that I am not a fan of the SA WX700...Because I am..(bought one for a friend on a budget) It's just that the SVS that much better.....

Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-19 23:17

Thumperama,

I agree with Steve as far as one SVS sub being enough for your size room. My son has two Velodyne 12" subs in his system and he often jokes about trading me for my SVS PC Ultra. Even with both of his subs the SVS out performs the pair of Velodyne's not only in clarity but also as far as "balls". 
    I'm not saying that there is anything bad about having multiple subs but I am saying that one SVS sub will give you all the bass you need for your room. I guarantee you that that it will give you all the chest thumping bass you can tolerate. Just food for thought.

Joe

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-19 23:38

If you are looking, Sunfire. It is a different animal. You need to feel the difference. If it is in your budget. Do not waste your money. I have owened PSB, JBL, Sherwood, Klipsch and Velodyne there is no comparison.

-----------------
    KDF-E50A10
    SUNFIRE ULTIMATE(FORMALLY 4ES/5000ES)
    DVP-NS9100ES W/BEL CANTO AIDA DAC
    F-RECTILINEAR 4-1/2/KLIPSCH RB5
    C-2 KLIPSCH KG 1.3/S-KLIPSCH RCW5
    R-SYNERGISTICS S92 W/2-12"KSW12/ADS MOD.10/Sony TA-AX435
    Sunfire EQ Signature
    HTS 3600-BDP-S1

[ This message was edited by: lemoncadillac on 2006-03-19 23:42 ]

Troy

Posted: 2006-04-06 14:58

Get a but kicker for under your couch...Just kidding. My Technics SB-AS60 is really to big for my living room.

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.