Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:244
    Members:2
    Total of:246 users
    MemberLogged
    claudio0.1 min
    Maxxwire15.1 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

Satellite vs Digital Cable Dashboard
    Replies: 46 | Views: 5,105
    Last Reply: March 9, 2006, 3:24 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | retate | jttar | rb | jehill | The-Ish316 | Toli | Navmaster | lemoncadillac | SNY4ME | edconline | SonySam |
    This thread topic spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Satellite vs Digital Cable
    jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-04 11:39

The problem is that the trend is for larger displays.  My KV-36XBR450 weighs 238 pounds!  My son's KF-42WE610 only weighs 70 lbs, 12 oz!  The convenience of being able to move it so, so much easier is a big plus.  However, there is no question that the SD PQ better is better on my set.  At this point, I am willing to sacrifice SD PQ for a larger, spectacular, HD picture.

BTW, neither my son nor I have any complaints about the quality of the Comcast digital cable service in our areas (Philadelphia and South Jersey).  We have absolutely no desire to switch to satellite.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-04 14:59

John- You are absolutely right about the lighter weight of the rear projection LDC sets being a huge advantage. It only took a few minutes to get my Dad's 50" Grand Wega out of the box and into place.

It took a lot longer to figure out that his Dish Network Receiver has a dummy S-Video output. The best signal we can get out of this box is Composite Video.

I'm wondering what its going to cost to get a competent Dish Network Receiver that will receive HD channels and make full use of his new Sony Grand Vega?

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-04 20:41

Hopefully, not much.  That's one advantage of Comcast cable.  You pay only $5.00/mo for the standard HDTV converter and $10.00/mo for a 2 channel version with a built-in HDTV DVR.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-04 22:47

On 2006-03-04 14:59, Maxxwire wrote:
    John- You are absolutely right about the lighter weight of the rear projection LDC sets being a huge advantage. It only took a few minutes to get my Dad's 50" Grand Wega out of the box and into place.

It took a lot longer to figure out that his Dish Network Receiver has a dummy S-Video output. The best signal we can get out of this box is Composite Video.

I'm wondering what its going to cost to get a competent Dish Network Receiver that will receive HD channels and make full use of his new Sony Grand Vega?

~Maxx~

Maxx,

I remember when you and your Dad were shopping for a new TV for him but I somehow missed the purchase. Does the new TV have a HD tuner and if so have you tried an OTA antenna to pick up the local HD stations? Also, if your father orders the HD package from Dish Network shouldn't they provide a HD receiver for him?

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-05 00:21

Joe- Dad's 1982 Phillips TV set finally died a week ago so we found the 50" Sony Grand Wega for him and it works perfectly with the Audio system I gave him a few months ago in anticipation of getting the big screen TV.

I'm going out there tomorrow and I'll try hooking up an OTA antenna. I'll let you guys know the results tomorrow night.

Hopefully John is right and it won't cost Dad much to get into HD.

~Maxx~

-----------------

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-05 15:28

On 2006-03-05 00:21, Maxxwire wrote:
    Joe- Dad's 1982 Phillips TV set finally died a week ago so we found the 50" Sony Grand Wega for him and it works perfectly with the Audio system I gave him a few months ago in anticipation of getting the big screen TV.

I'm going out there tomorrow and I'll try hooking up an OTA antenna. I'll let you guys know the results tomorrow night.

Hopefully John is right and it won't cost Dad much to get into HD.

~Maxx~

Maxx,

Be sure footed if your going on the roof and watch out for those power wires.
    All I use with my KDF55WF655 is an OTA antenna to pick up my local HD stations. You Dad is going to be blown away by the PQ if you are able to get a good signal.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-05 16:02

I'm leaving for Dad's within the hour so I'll know pretty soon how it works out.

~Maxx~

-----------------

retate

Posted: 2006-03-06 00:37

One other consideration for some people in choosing between cable and satellite is that even if you have digital cable some cable companies include their analog feed as part of the digital service.  The cable company analog feed makes it easy to deliver cable to a cable ready TVs or computers with a TV tuner card without having multiple receivers, or some a redistribution system.

Bob

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-06 09:23

retate,

I agree, sometimes a simpler solution is just better. It would also make sense if one is limited on space.

Regards,

Toli

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

SonySam

Posted: 2006-03-06 13:14

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-06 09:23, Toli wrote:
    retate,

I agree, sometimes a simpler solution is just better. It would also make sense if one is limited on space.

Regards,

Toli

JUST MORE FLUF STUF U COULD AGREE TO EVERY POST + GET MO #'S

rb

Posted: 2006-03-06 13:26

On 2006-03-06 13:14, SonySam wrote:

retate,

Regards,

Toli

Sammy after reading all of your 13 posts here I believe you have a problem.  Do YOU have something to say or contribute???  You sound an aweful lot like a TROLL.

rb

I listen to music in StereO

[ This message was edited by: rb on 2006-03-06 13:34 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-06 15:44

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-06 13:26, rb wrote:

On 2006-03-06 13:14, SonySam wrote:

retate,

Regards,

Toli

Sammy after reading all of your 13 posts here I believe you have a problem.  Do YOU have something to say or contribute???  You sound an aweful lot like a TROLL.

rb

Sammy- If someone wants to assinate their own credibility by making quick generic fluff statements then that's their own choice.

You would do the Forum a service by counteracting the fluff with a constructive contribution to the discussion at hand.

~Maxx~

-----------------

rb

Posted: 2006-03-06 16:21

I find this the most friendly forum on the net.  Sometimes people make comments because it's like having a conversation with someone.

To attack a long time member because they believe there was not enough meat in their response is totally unacceptable.

-----------------
    rb

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-06 16:25

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-05 15:28, jttar wrote:All I use with my KDF55WF655 is an OTA antenna to pick up my local HD stations. Your Dad is going to be blown away by the PQ if you are able to get a good signal.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

My Dad set up an OTA antenna in his attic 25 years ago but the reception was so poor that he got Cable.

Yesterday I hooked up the OTA antenna input on his 50" Grand Wega to that same OTA antenna with a crummy OEM slip on F-pin terminated coax wire because that's all he had on hand.

I switched to the OTA input and initiated the Auto Program hoping to find a Digital channel or two. Dad and I counted 1,2,3...4,5...6,7,8,9...10,11...12...13 Digital channels in all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Dad is an artist and counts Oil Panting, Water color, Lithography, Stained Glass, Photography and an art form he invented called Digital Pixel Painting among the mediums he has worked in. In other words he is a very visual person with an acute understanding of color, hue, texture, shading and the other aspects of the visual experience.

My Dad's reaction to his first glimpse of the OTA signal in 1080i Hi-Def could only be described as Visual Arrest!

All he could say was "I knew it would be good, but not this good!"

Dad is not that easily impressed when it comes to visual graphics in that has been doing computer graphics for 19 years and he knows very well what High Resolution is. He has an 8M pixel Sony Digital camera and a 17" format Epson Pro 4000 Printer that he prints up enlargements which he frames for his patrons, his Photo Shows and local Art Galleries.

I weeded out all of the 480i channels and some others he didn't care to watch and we ended up with 6 of the most beautiful channels of HD programming. Dad kept saying that he couldn't beleive that this was all coming through that useless antenna he had put up so long ago! I couldn't beleive it was coming through that worthless OEM coax cable I connected the TV with!

Thanks Joe for encourging me to hook up that OTA antenna because for the first time my Dad got to see what his new 50" Sony Grand Wega could REALLY DO!

And it was spectacular!

~Maxx~

-----------------

Navmaster

Posted: 2006-03-06 18:15

On 2006-03-01 02:15, Maxxwire wrote:
    I have Cable at home and when I go to my Dad's and watch Dish Network on his 50" Sony Grand Wega the still images are sharp and crystal clear, but when they start to move they become blurred and out of focus which is not a problem on Cable TV.

~Maxx~

Maxx,

What you are describing is a common problem with the setup on some Sony and other rear projection televisions.  If you look into the proper helping your dad with the best settings you can eliminate or almost eliminate this condition.

Scott

-----------------
    Scott
    Sony KDL-40XBR2 LCD Television
    Sony DA4ES
    B&K Reference 200.7 SII
    B&K Reference 4430
    Sony CX995 400 disc DVD
    Sony CX450 400 disc CD
    Panamax 5100
    Definitive:
    BP30 Mains
    ProTower400 Center
    BPX Surrounds
    SVS 25-31 PC+

This topic thread spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.