Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:169
    Members:2
    Total of:171 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP0.0 min
    Maxxwire36.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

SETUP...... Dashboard
    Replies: 33 | Views: 4,549
    Last Reply: March 10, 2006, 12:18 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jttar | rb | jehill | The-Ish316 | Bagdropper | mikeyw | psavtech |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author SETUP......
    psavtech

Posted: 2006-03-09 14:32

thanks for the comment Ish, The most drastic change was instantly heard in the lower end of the spectrum. The moment the speakers were placed on the "stands" I could almost feel the speakers taking back their bass. now my problem is placement before the stands I was happy with placement, now I find myself making constant adjustments which is not an easy task taking into account what has become involved to move 1 speaker a few inches, despite that minor frustration, the bass frequencies are overall much tighter, If I ever get them positioned properly i'll be on another planet.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-09 16:26

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-09 14:32, psavtech wrote: If I ever get them positioned properly i'll be on another planet.

I spent 3 months straight working daily on finding the best positioning or my front speakers. In all I invested about 400 hours in the project and I consider it time well spent because the speakers have sounded spectacular for almost 5 years and I haven't even thought of moving them so much as a fraction of an inch!

I compressed the time frame for properly positioning the speakers down because I worked on it for 4-5 hours each day. The usual time frame to find the perfect positioning for speakers is considered to be from 6 months to 1 year.

You are right though once you've found the perfect positioning of the speakers in the room the sound will put you on another planet!

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-09 22:06

On 2006-03-09 09:08, psavtech wrote:
    Jittar,

Speaking of mass loading, i've been looking for some good slabs of granite/marble for my athenas. I finaly struck gold at a monument maker in the west suburbs. I got a pair of 2 1/4" thick 16X16" peices of black marble for a very nominal price. I then cut 9 holes in a 16X16 piece of MDF. Placed 9 squash balls in the holes, marble on top of the balls, make sure it's level. Put some cheap trim around the bottom so you don't see the balls, but make sure the trim isn't touching the stone. Works like a charm. It ended up costing about 150$ for the pair, but then i spent a bit more on some nice black granite trim.

psavtech,

Thanks for sharing your custom speaker stand project. It sounds easy to do and like it made a big difference. Also thanks for the tip on locating marble slabs on the cheap.

Best of luck in finding that "sweet spot" for your Athena's. I have had my AS-F2's in the same basic spot since I moved 9 months ago but I still find myself toe-ing them in and out to achieve the ultimate position.

Joe (aka BeastMaster)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-10 12:18

psavtech- I also chose to use Decoupling and Mass Loading onto Granite slabs for my JBL speakers.

I did this after trying Rigid Coupling with spikes and found that I prefered the sound of the speakers when Gravity coupled to the Granite slab that was Decoupled from its stand using Hybrid Sorbothane.

~Maxx~

A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

One Half of My A/V System

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2006-03-10 12:28 ]

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.