Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:227
    Members:0
    Total of:227 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

SETUP...... Dashboard
    Replies: 33 | Views: 4,552
    Last Reply: March 10, 2006, 12:18 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jttar | rb | jehill | The-Ish316 | Bagdropper | mikeyw | psavtech |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author SETUP......
    rb

Posted: 2006-02-16 20:26

On 2006-02-16 01:05, The-Ish316 wrote:
    Have you heard of the recommendations of Mapleshade? They recommend using air-dried maple blocks for mounting and mass loading. They also produce special brass spikes, too. They claim maple (not kiln-dried) has superior acoustic properties. I'm a little dubious on the actual mass being enough to do much.

Has anyone tried using maple this way?

I have heard that Maple really does work and i've been to Mapleshade's website on a few occasions.  They really do have some nice products but their prices border on criminal for what you get.

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-16 21:55

On 2006-02-16 20:26, rb wrote:

I have heard that Maple really does work and i've been to Mapleshade's website on a few occasions.  They really do have some nice products but their prices border on criminal for what you get.

Rick,

I couldn't agree more. I no longer even look at the catalogs I get from Mapleshade because of the ridiculous prices of their products. They do have a large collection of Jazz CD's though.

Joe

rb

Posted: 2006-02-16 22:11

This guy is much more reasonable on price and will build just about anything to spec.

http://www.timbernation.com/MaplePlatform_PopUp.cfm

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-16 23:03

Rick,

Nice find. You aren't kidding about the guy's prices being reasonable and it looks like he does beautiful work.

Joe

amp stand

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 02:11

A 9" X 12" X 2" Unfinished Maple Isolation Platform for $50 is a fair price.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Bagdropper

Posted: 2006-02-24 12:08

so these are solid pieces of maple that you set the speakers on, or your components on?

-----------------
    Panasonic TC-P42X1
    NAD D3020 amplifier
    Snell Acoustics EIII/Def Tech Pro Sub 60
    Dell Inspiron 530 Intel QC6600 8g RAM
    Silver Dragon USB
    10TB Networked Multi-Room
    Hauppauge Colossus w) DirecTV HD
    and lots of extra Sony ES Gear!

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-24 15:15

Most people prefer to use specially made rigid coupling devices like Black Diamond Carbon Fiber Cones or some kind of pointed feet that minimize the amount of surface contact between the equipment or speakers and the isolation platform.

I've found that the kind, composition and pacement of the Rigid Coupling feet you use can have more of a dramatic overall effect than the isolaton platform itself.
    ~Maxx~

-----------------

The-Ish316

Posted: 2006-03-07 12:25

Regarding the Mapleshade catalog, they do have outrageous prices, but they also have some very interesting and helpful tips aimed at improving your system sound.  On the mass coupling, they seem to recommend using the resonance and mass of their air-dried maple blocks and special brass footers to acheive acoustic improvement to any speaker.

They use 2" thick boards for their component platforms and large maple blocks for their speaker stands.

They have some tips for mass loading in their catalogs too.

-----------------
    DenMar
    Sony STR-DA4ES, BDP-S1, DVP-NC600, KDL-52XBR9 HDTV, TC-WR6655S dual tape, SLV-676UC, & Athena AS-F2 & AS-C1 speakers; CSW Surrounds; HDR-SR12 & GV-D200; Explorer 8300

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-07 15:21

• Member Quote

On 2006-03-07 12:25, The-Ish316 wrote:
    Regarding the Mapleshade...On the mass coupling, they seem to recommend using the resonance and mass of their air-dried maple blocks and special brass footers to acheive acoustic improvement to any speaker.

They use 2" thick boards for their component platforms and large maple blocks for their speaker stands.

Every Audio system is comprised of different types and designs of equipment and speakers in a room that has unique resonance responses that it exposes the equipment and speakers to which will in turn influence their sound.

There is no simple answer to Resonance Tuning. Brass Points on Maple Blocks may work for some and not for others.

Only extensive experimentation will tell you what works best.

If you decide to try Mass Loading with Maple Blocks there are places that you can get them that have much better prices than Mapleshade does.

~Maxx~

-----------------

The-Ish316

Posted: 2006-03-07 16:39

Actually, I am working on a plan to get the air-dried maple and put together a simple stand myself.  The Mapleshade designs are very simple, and I think I could do a better job and more pleasing design myself. 

-----------------
    DenMar
    Sony STR-DA4ES, BDP-S1, DVP-NC600, KDL-52XBR9 HDTV, TC-WR6655S dual tape, SLV-676UC, & Athena AS-F2 & AS-C1 speakers; CSW Surrounds; HDR-SR12 & GV-D200; Explorer 8300

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-08 02:17

The-Ish316- I look forward to seeing how your DIY equipment stand turns out as well as hear about its sonic benefits and also how much money you saved compared to Mapleshade's price.

~Maxx~

-----------------

The-Ish316

Posted: 2006-03-08 12:17

Thanks, Maxx.  I will definetely share my results, but please don't hold your breath waiting.  It will be quite some time as I plan, acquire materials and work out getting access to a workshop.

-----------------
    DenMar

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-03-08 15:20

The-Ish316- No rush, I know that good quality work takes time.

~Maxx~

-----------------

psavtech

Posted: 2006-03-09 09:08

Jittar,

Speaking of mass loading, i've been looking for some good slabs of granite/marble for my athenas. I finaly struck gold at a monument maker in the west suburbs. I got a pair of 2 1/4" thick 16X16" peices of black marble for a very nominal price. I then cut 9 holes in a 16X16 piece of MDF. Placed 9 squash balls in the holes, marble on top of the balls, make sure it's level. Put some cheap trim around the bottom so you don't see the balls, but make sure the trim isn't touching the stone. Works like a charm. It ended up costing about 150$ for the pair, but then i spent a bit more on some nice black granite trim.

The-Ish316

Posted: 2006-03-09 09:32

Welcome, psavtech.  What a wonderful application of the mass loading with the de-coupling that Maxx and others often encourage.  Did you notice much difference in the sound of your AS-F2.2s?  Or have you had them long enough to recognize their "voice."

I'm with you, and all about what you spoke of in another string—biggest-bang-for-the-buck system."  I'm sure you'll enjoy your hobby as much as I and many others do on this forum.

-----------------
    DenMar

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.