Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:229
    Members:2
    Total of:231 users
    MemberLogged
    gnuse0.3 min
    jttar14.2 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Maxxwire
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Amp/Receiver/Speakers/Connections/Cables

STR DA7100ES in my system Dashboard
    Replies: 65 | Views: 28,215
    Last Reply: February 19, 2006, 2:11 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    ajglass | Maxxwire | Timb | rb | yoong | mykyll2727 | Jmacs_Sony | yuriv | Welwynnick | stanrozenfeld |
    This thread topic spans 5 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author STR DA7100ES in my system
    yoong

Posted: 2006-01-31 03:41

It would be great if you started a thread dedicated to how the DA7100ES sounds in your highly evolved Audio system.fficeffice" />>>

I'm looking forward to hearing about how the sound of the DA7100ES compares with that of your other equipment.

~Maxx~
    >>

>

>

I must first clarify that my AV system is totally independent of my Audio system. Both systems are located in a specially built room of 12.5X16X10 feet dimension for optimum audio reproduction.>>

My audio system comprise of:->>

Marantz SA 11S1 SACD Player which recently replaced my Sonic Frontier ST1 transport, Audio Alchemy DTI, Audio Alchemy DTI 32 Pro and Sonic Frontier SFD-2 MkII DA converter.>>

Marantz SA 7S1 Preamp which recently replaced my Sonic Frontier SFL-2.>>

Audio Research V140 mono block Power amplifier>>

Thiel 7.2 loudspeakers.>>

My AV system comprise of:->>

Denon 3910 DVD player>>

Sony RDR HX910 HDD recorder>>

AvelLink 2 multi media player>>

STR DA7100ES which recently replaced my 5000ES>>

Satellite box>>

Sim2 Grand Cinema HT280 projector>>

Mirage Omnisat speakers 7.1>>

M&K subwoofer>>

>

>

I highlighted the above so that you will appreciate that my audio taste is leaned towards tube sound and that my AV speakers are all wall mounted, thus 2 channel sound stage is a constraint.>>

>

On 05-09-08 MartinGman started a tread titled 7100ES sounds ‘exactly’ like 5000ES. I must concur that he is in a way correct. The 7100ES have a similar sonic characteristic as the 5000ES, warm and musical, but is far superior in performance. It handles difficult passage with ease and with much more details especially in multi channel tracks. Hiss is non existent. The video upconversion is much better from the 7100 than the 5000. My satellite analog signal upconverted to 480i and output via HDMI looks awesome.>>

>

I experimented with all the 4 digital inputs. >>

With the coaxial, my system sounded slightly on the lean side. >>

With Glass Toslink, the sound have better body, more musical and warmer sound, better focus and good tonal balance. Quieter background noise.>>

With HDMI, improved focus and high frequency.>>

With iLink, the 7100ES is a different animal! It has a very quite background noise. A very good highs, almost silky but limited by my speakers. The control was awesome with increase focus and detail. To my listening preference, the most important sonic characteristic in a system is the harmonic nuance. The 7100ES produces rich harmonic nuance which is very life like. I have had the opportunities to listen to many high end systems and harmonic nuance is a rare commodity in audio systems unless properly tweaked and setup. I am impressed with the 7100ES ability to produce the rich harmonic nuance.>>

>

I seldom listen to 2 channel in my AV system because of the vast difference in sonic quality between my AV and Audio system. With the 7100ES I am as happy to listen to 2 channel audio as thru’ my Audio system. I was even tempted to swap my Audio Research with the 7100ES to try to drive my Thiel 7.2 but could not because I am still unable to find a pair of Balance/RCA interconnect. >>

>

Regards>>

Yoong>>

>

>>

>

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-31 04:27

To praise the Harmonic Nuance of the DA7100ES is high praise indeed coming from someome who runs a Digital front end with a discrete Tube output as well as 140 watt Tube
    Monoblocks. I would also credit much of this to your extensive efforts in the areas of set up and tuned room acoustics which are so critical to the manifestation of authentic harmonic structure.

I noticed that you are also now running a pair of AA DTI's. I assume that the AA DTI Pro 32 has its Resolution Enhancement Algorithm set to 20 bit to match the resolution of the Dacs in the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 Mk2, but I was wondering which interconnect you are interfacing the two DTIs with.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

yoong

Posted: 2006-01-31 05:08

I noticed that you are also now running a pair of AA DTI's. I assume that the AA DTI Pro 32 has its Resolution Enhancement Algorithm set to 20 bit to match the resolution of the Dacs in the Sonic Frontiers SFD-2 Mk2, but I was wondering which interconnect you are interfacing the two DTIs with.

~Maxx~

You are right Maxx. The AA DTI Pro 32 can even output at 24 bit. I set it at 20 bit as it sounded the best at that setting. I use the I2S self made 99.9999 silver interconnect between the 2 AAs.

Yoong

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-31 13:23

The 24 bit setting is tempting, but with a 20 bit Digital Filter and 20 bit Dacs those last 4 bits of information would be truncated which is why it sounded better in the 20 bit setting.

Thanks again for sharing with us about the sound of the DA7100ES in your A/V system. You have such excellent set up skills that I had every confidence that you could elicit its very best performance.

~Maxx~

-----------------

mykyll2727

Posted: 2006-01-31 14:34

On 2006-01-31 03:41, yoong wrote:

fficeffice" />>
    >

>

>

With iLink, the 7100ES is a different animal! It has a very quite background noise. A very good highs, almost silky but limited by my speakers. The control was awesome with increase focus and detail. To my listening preference, the most important sonic characteristic in a system is the harmonic nuance. The 7100ES produces rich harmonic nuance which is very life like. I have had the opportunities to listen to many high end systems and harmonic nuance is a rare commodity in audio systems unless properly tweaked and setup. I am impressed with the 7100ES ability to produce the rich harmonic nuance.>>

>

I seldom listen to 2 channel in my AV system because of the vast difference in sonic quality between my AV and Audio system. With the 7100ES I am as happy to listen to 2 channel audio as thru’ my Audio system. I was even tempted to swap my Audio Research with the 7100ES to try to drive my Thiel 7.2 but could not because I am still unable to find a pair of Balance/RCA interconnect. >>

>

Regards>>

Yoong>>

>

>>

>

Yoong_That is high praise indeed. I'm truly impresssed that the 7100ES is able to able to keep up with the performance of your wonderful audio system. Now I'm really dying to hear MMM thru an iLink connection._MMMike

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-31 15:19

• Member Quote

On 2006-01-31 14:34, mykyll2727 wrote: I'm truly impresssed that the 7100ES is able to able to keep up with the performance of your wonderful audio system._MMMike

MMMike- Do bear in mind that these are 140 watt Monoblocks that Yoong is using which probably use current production 6550 Tubes because there are so many of them required in the application. I'm not saying that the ARC Monoblocks don't sound great, but they were designed and built to dispence high levels of power and as every Bottlehead knows the First Watt is the sweetest.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Timb

Posted: 2006-01-31 16:04

Not meaning to hi-jack this interesting thread about Yoong’s system comparison. fficeffice" />>>

re: Now I'm really dying to hear MMM thru an iLink connection._MMMike

MMMike,

You REALLY should as even my modest DA7100ES/NS9100ES connected via i.LINK is delightful driving my old Celestion 7000's Hybrid Ribbon Speakers than the optical digital cable I first had on it.

Last night, listening to the SACD of Bill Evans ‘Sunday night at the Village Vanguard’, admittedly a very old recording now (1961), the trio extended both back and front of the speakers (2 Ch mode), but also extended past the speakers, left and right. The piano was so natural and the bass was never boomy or obnoxious.

Go get that cable, Mike!

Tim >>

Welwynnick

Posted: 2006-01-31 16:36

Yoong,

I was very pleased to read your post.  Web forums are full of owners singing the praises of their equipment, but when you can qualify the sound quality that you are used to like that, it actually gives me even more confidence to make the most of my DA9k.  So I have a few things in mind.....

Mike,

One of the best ways to make my DA9k sing is to use iLink.  The advantage it brings to even CD and DVD, even when compared to other digital connections like SPDIF, toslink (or HDMI which I don't have) is something very few people can appreciate.  I am now buying SACDs like mad.  I always had this ambition to realise a fully digital high-definition audio (and video) system, and I'm really glad I made such a good start. 

I simply can't put this any stronger - you MUST get iLink!

Nick

Welwynnick

Posted: 2006-01-31 16:42

Tim,

What a small world.  I have a pair of Celestion 5000 hybrid ribbon speakers that I bought several years ago.  You reminded me that I still had them; I haven't used them for ages.  There is a reason for that, though, but I hope I'm too much a gentleman to say what that is, though........

Nice player and amp, though.

BR,   Nick

Timb

Posted: 2006-01-31 17:03

re: Gentleman

Now Nick,... you might be surprised how they sound with new kit driving them. I didn't fall in love with my 7000's for a while after purchase.

I'll have to throw them over if I get someone else in the house though, the "sweet spot" is VERY narrow as you know.

Tim

rb

Posted: 2006-01-31 17:45

Reading through this thread I can't help but think of why it is that people feel that SA-CD sounds best when the signal is fed through the i-Link connection.

Sony's DVPNS9100ES DVD/SA-CD player and SCDXA9000ES SA-CD player has the best analog output stages ever designed by Sony.  Particularly the XA9000ES.  They have better internal signal processing than either the 7100/9000ES receivers for processing SA-CD.

The thing that comes to mind for me is that the difference in sound quality comes down to the quality of the analog input stage in the unit that is being fed the signal and perhaps the quality of the interconnect making the connection.

What can I say I'm old and stuck in a time warp and I'm an analog kind of guy.  

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-31 18:10

• Member Quote

On 2006-01-31 17:45, rb wrote:
    The thing that comes to mind for me is that the difference in sound quality comes down to the quality of the analog input stage in the unit that is being fed the signal and perhaps the quality of the interconnect making the connection.

What can I say I'm old and stuck in a time warp and I'm an analog kind of guy.

Rick- You are in no Time Warp sir! Every one of our Analog Audio systems must have a Digital to Analog conversion stage whether it is at the Player, Dac, Pre-Pro, or in the Receiver because the Speakers run on an Analog signal.

The equipment with the best preservation of the Analog signal will have the best sound as you pointed out with your example of using quality Analog inputs and interconnects.

All Digital systems have their own situation with the quality of the DSD to PCM to PWM Digital Format conversions to be concerned with.

Even the best SACD playback is still measured by how close it can come to the absolute standard which is pure Analog playback.

~Maxx~

One Half of My A/V System

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2006-02-02 01:20 ]

yoong

Posted: 2006-01-31 20:58

Now I'm really dying to hear MMM thru an iLink connection._MMMike

Mike
    The ilink cost only a few dollars but it will make your MMM sing like never before!

Yoong

yoong

Posted: 2006-01-31 21:22

The piano was so natural
    Tim

Tim
    The 7100ES with iLink produces life like harmonic nuance which is most apparent with instruments like piano, cello, guitar and saxophone.

Yoong

rb

Posted: 2006-01-31 22:27

On 2006-01-31 20:58, yoong wrote:

Now I'm really dying to hear MMM thru an iLink connection._MMMike

Mike
    The ilink cost only a few dollars but it will make your MMM sing like never before!

Yoong

Yes an cable i-Link is certainly is only a few dollars but the machines that output via i-Link certainly are not.

What the market really needs is a player that outputs through i-Link without the added cost of a redundant high end analog output stage.

If Sony sold a digital transport 7100/9000ES owners would be lined up to buy them. 

rb
    I listen to music in StereO

[ This message was edited by: rb on 2006-01-31 22:36 ]

This topic thread spans 5 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.