Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:194
    Members:0
    Total of:194 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

36XBR800 does not have a clear picture!! Dashboard
    Replies: 46 | Views: 11,050
    Last Reply: February 20, 2004, 7:04 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    MECHANOID1 | eezeepro | ckolsen | kranston | kanihoncho | -W- | dschroll | NOVAwhiteTypeS | wrich55416 | pjd999 | jwrebl | jimltec | jttar | sharmar | bru87tr |
    This thread topic spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author 36XBR800 does not have a clear picture!!
    kranston

Posted: 2002-09-24 09:38

eezeepro,
    I've had DISH network, and TW Cable at the same time, and also had Bellsouth's Line-of-sight digital service (forgot the name). To me, like yourself, Digital cable was the best. But...I am 100% positive that many people have cable that is terrible compared to satellite.
    Kranston

eezeepro

Posted: 2002-09-24 11:53

Actually, what I'm saying is that ANALOG cable TV is usually better than PQ on DirecTV!
    I do not have DIGITAL cable.

wrich55416

Posted: 2002-10-01 15:51

I had the same problem. The cable company installed an amplifier and now the analog stations are just as crisp as the digital ones.

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-10-08 10:13

wrich55416--

What do you mean by 'Cable Amplifier?' Is this something my cable company would provide or do I buy myself? Do I get charged for this if the cable company provides? One thing that did get me better quality is to make Reality 0 and Clarity 100 or the Picture Palette thingy. Most stations look good but not all.

ckolsen

Posted: 2002-10-09 21:41

I just got my 34XBR800, I have analog cable, and I noticed that if I run the RF cable right into the TV, the picture quality is horrible - but if I run the RCA jack from the VCR to the TV (VCR receives the RF cable) - then the quality is fine. The XBR must have some problem with receiving RF sources?

kranston

Posted: 2002-10-09 22:09

jwrebl,
    Usually the amp is powered, and must be plugged in. The cable company should do this for free. They will do so only if you have a low signal strength.
    Kranston

ckolsen

Posted: 2002-10-12 08:27

Just an update, I tried connecting the RF cable directly to the XBR instead of through the VCR, and regular TV now looks much better! The XBR must have a really nice built-in tuner. Also, the Sanus NF213B stand I got setup looks gorgeous with this TV.

NOVAwhiteTypeS

Posted: 2002-10-14 20:49

I asked my cable company for a 'signal booster' or 'amplifer' and they said, if DO get an amplifer it will only amplify the bad signal making it worse.

Well Im gonna try connecting my digital cable line to a Y spliter and try connecting 1 of the cables directly to the 40xbr800 and the the coax cable going to my digital cable box. then from the cable box to my 40XBR800 via S video.

so when im watching digital channels i'll use the cable box and when viewing normal channels i'll use the RF input.

-----------------
    TV: 40XBR800
    Reciever: STR-DE875
    Speakers: SA-VE525
    DVD: DVP-NS715P
    VCR: SLV-N55
    Remote: RM-AV3000
    Digicam: MVC-CD200

kanihoncho

Posted: 2002-10-15 12:37

I also connected the Coax directly into my TV, bypassing the VCR, and the picture improved tremendously.

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-10-15 14:20

Bad News--

As you can see from the amount of posts for this particular issue, I have been working feverishly to try to resolve the problem. I have tried all of the suggestions to no avail. The only solution I have left is to go with Satellite. Since the cable company in our area owns the viewing rights to 3 out of 4 of the major sports viewing, I would not be able to watch any Hockey, Baseball, or Basketball games unless they were televised nationally (if I went with Satellite). That ain't happenen'. That being said, I have just returned from Circuit City and exercised my 30 day return policy on the 36XBR800. I have to live with a 32 inch set instead. I compared the same station (a crappy CNN cable feed) with the two sets and the 32 was much better. This makes sense since the picture doesn't have to stretch as much. Maybe I will take my 900 dollars in savings and get a DVR.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me with this. Hopefully, my TV woes are over (except for the fact that I have to watch everything on a smaller TV )

sharmar

Posted: 2003-11-22 14:39

The explanation for this all is quite simple and is not complicated. In fact, this is one of the most common complaints of people who first buy an HD-capable monitor of any type--that the "digital cable signal looks worse than my old analog TV."

The reason is that the usual bigger screens you get with most HDTVs these days exaggerate the inherent flaws found in non-HDTV signals. No matter what TV you buy (even $10,000 plasmas and up) or your superior 36xbr800, the signal will not stack up to HDTV and progressive scan DVD. Even though HDTV's have processors which use progressive scanning to enhance "regular" signals, most people will be disappointed.

See this link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-7608_7-1016109-3.html?tag=tnav

bru87tr

Posted: 2004-01-22 17:26

I have exactly this problem!

my digital channels like sundance, HBO, encore...etc look outstanding!!!!!!!   4,5,7,fox,WB,UPN look terrible and almost unwatchable!!!!!  I have a drop amp and the cable split twice. I tried hooking up just the one line to my tv and still the reg channels look bad. on my 27" it looked great. i mean crysal clear. I knew this would be the case as a great tv will make a bad signal look worse and small tvs just plain make amything look great. i wil have HDTV monday so I will get to check that out but wonder if I should ask the cable guy to boost my signal some ?

I am suprised people with nice bigger sets say the reg channels look good. like I said I ran just the line with no splits to my new tv and it did nothing to improve it. I ran just the cable direct into the tv with no cable box and it was better but still unaccepable.

I believe its just the nature of digital cable and the combo of that and a great tv!!!!!!!

you just wont notice it on a reg small tv cause it wont enhance the picrute as it is infact a reg tv doing reg picture. not a hrad thing to do with a reg tv and reg cable.  but put in compressed cable with a digital box and a 36" tv that will enhance everything and it makes sense that the reg cable stations look bad.

I just bought a 36" Sony Wega XBR800 and was suprised too whenI seen how bad the cable signal was. it is def not the tv but the cable signal!

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-01-22 21:31

bru87tr,

I think it is worth a call to your cable company to see what they can do about boosting your signal. Try removing and cleaning the coaxial cable connection where it enters your house, Sometimes it gets corroded enough to loose some of the signal. After you see your HD picture on Monday you will really be dissatisfied with the likes of 4,5,7, fox, upn etc. I can't wait till it's all HD.

jttar

jimltec

Posted: 2004-01-23 05:22

to add to jttar's statement you'll find that the cable company will change out some of your wiring. hdtv is more susceptible to noise than non hdtv. the old rg5/6 wires, f59 connectors and splitter/couplers  just pick up too much noise. if you experience intermittent lose of pix on hdtv just remember all that old wiring in your home that is not sheilded as well as the wiring they are using nowadays

bru87tr

Posted: 2004-02-19 19:15

I replaced all my cable and connectors and splitters via request to comcast and all is better. much better. also my cable was run right along my electrical lines. not good.

This topic thread spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.