Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:236
    Members:1
    Total of:237 users
    MemberLogged
    johnfasnerdo1.5 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

36XBR800 does not have a clear picture!! Dashboard
    Replies: 46 | Views: 11,046
    Last Reply: February 20, 2004, 7:04 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    MECHANOID1 | eezeepro | ckolsen | kranston | kanihoncho | -W- | dschroll | NOVAwhiteTypeS | wrich55416 | pjd999 | jwrebl | jimltec | jttar | sharmar | bru87tr |
    This thread topic spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author 36XBR800 does not have a clear picture!!
    MECHANOID1

Posted: 2002-09-20 13:50

Hi Jwrebl

When I first bought my 36xbr 2 years ago, I noticed the same thing. After repeated attempts to boost the cable signal from the street to my TV, I gave up on cable. I was pissed because all my other video sources looked awesome except for the so called digital cable. I then gave it 1 more try with Direct TV. Needless to say I have been extremly happy since switching over. Everyone who comes over to my house are amazed at the picture and colors from my Sony.

I wish you luck with your cable provider.
    Mechanoid1

-W-

Posted: 2002-09-20 14:13

Greetings jwrebel:

Sorry to hear the grief that your having with the new 4:3 KV-36XBR800. For the readership, here's a pic' of the TV...

www.crutchfield.com/S-YitPQr1ykG1/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=15836XB800

Members dsschroll and kranston have provided some terrific input.

IMO, if the cable signal checks out OK, then have the CC serviceperson pay a visit.

Heck, your tube is new and you don't want to compromise the 30 day return/exchange option.

When CC delivered my TV, the delivery guys helped with the cable hook up to the components. I use ATT "digital" cable and have no problem.

I agree with dschroll on the exchange idea. If the tech' rep' can't solve the problem and the signal is good, let CC swap for a new one and hook it all up for you!

Maybe ask the service person if giving up your cable and switching over to satellite might be the thing to do. What signal source do your neighbors have?

-W-

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-09-20 14:19

I don't mind looking into Satellite. However I have a lot of questions regarding it (that's for another forum ) Anyway-- I hope that is not the solution-- actually, that shouldn't be the solution - Cable should work. Again-- are we ahead of our time for this stuff?

kranston

Posted: 2002-09-20 14:23

jwrebl,
    If your TV looks good on Digital channels and bad on analog, I doubt the set is bad. Some cable companies just have bad signals (worse in some areas too) that will show up more on the XBR. If you live in an apartment complex then all bets are off.
    After the cable company checks it out then you may consider switching the set (as dschroll and -W- suggests) or do as mechanoid1 did ...go Satellite!
    kranston

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-09-20 16:02

If the cable guy can't do anything, then I will request switching the set. I live in a single home in the Philly Suburbs so I don't know how that will impact the signal. If Circuit City can't do anything then I will probably, dare I say, return it and forget this whole HDTV thing for a couple of years. At least then I will probably be able to get the set for a steal

NOVAwhiteTypeS

Posted: 2002-09-21 21:09

I just recieved my 40xbr800 and noticed horrible pixallation when viewing digital cable. I currently have a s-video cable but might switch back to RCA and see how it is.

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-09-23 07:50

Had the cable guy come out this weekend. Turns out I wasn't getting a good signal after all. After he adjusted it, the picture looks 10X better. I watched Armeggeddon last night on ABC HDTV and it looked incredible. Anyway, I am still experiencing some pixalation on some channels. I am going to try the AVIA calibration DVD to see if I can get some improvement.

dschroll

Posted: 2002-09-23 10:04

Glad to hear it was in deed the cable signal. It usually is. I hope this will help you justify keeping the set. I think you will get some pixelation if you do have digital cable. It's the way the channels are encoded and all. Personally, I think digital cable looks crappy compared to satellite, but that's just my opinion. I hope things work out for you. Either way, it's definitely good to calibrate your set with Avia. I was amazed at how much better skin tones looked after calibrating it. Much more realistic and all. Hope you enjoy your new set!

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-09-23 15:52

dschroll--

You're probably right about the satellite thingy. However, I am pretty much completely spent (money wise, that is) on all of the stuff I needed to get/do for this TV so changing to satellite is WAY down on the list. I will definitely look into it, though. Sounds cool.

[ This message was edited by: jwrebl on 2002-09-23 15:53 ]

eezeepro

Posted: 2002-09-23 16:57

dschroll... when you suggest satellite over digital cable... isn't satellite also digital? Is DirecTV better than digital cable re: crappy PQ, yet still digital reception?

pjd999

Posted: 2002-09-23 19:46

jwrebl,
    Beware, if you swap out comcast for dtv you will lose 70% of all Flyers and Sixers games. They even black them out on the direct tickets for your local area.

dschroll

Posted: 2002-09-23 21:31

hey eezeepro,
    digital cable is a misnomer. It makes people believe they're receiving true digital TV, but they're not. What the cable company is doing is digital compressing all of those extra channels. It allows them to compress it a lot so they can cram as many channels in as possible. The thing is though, the consumer will need something to decompress/decode the digital channel, which is why you have those nice digital cable boxes. So, a cable company may even sacrifice video quality to free up space to put more channels through the limited bandwidth that they have. Satellite gives you a true digital signal as the transmission from beginning to end is in digital until it reahes your receiver, which decodes the signal. Because of that, the picture and sound will be better in general. I have some friends who have satellite systems and those who have digital cable. One friend who has digital cable has a 40xbr700 and one who has satellite has a regular 32" Sony Trinitron Wega. The satellite picture looks way better than that of the digital cable, and remember the digital cable signal is even going to a WAY MORE state of the art TV.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I think if you can get Hi Def from your cable company then that can be a way to go.

kranston

Posted: 2002-09-23 23:25

dschroll,
    I've heard you say this over and over, and I (almost) completely disagree.
    Originally television signals were delivered over the cable network via analog signals that could use as much as 18 MHz of bandwidth. By turning the signal into a stream of numbers (ie sending a DIGITAL signal), 10 to 12 channels of programming can be sent down the cable pipeline to the television set using the same amount of bandwidth required to send just one channel via the older ANALOG technology.
    The digital cable box then decodes the digital transmission... (that was sent from the cable hub; which gets their feed via satellite in most if not all instances)...like a satellite box.
    Cable still has analog channels along with their digital signal. How on God's earth could folks get HDTV on cable if all the channels sent down the cable were analog? How would that quality be possible? No one has a separate HDTV cable line going to their house. I will say, though, that some of the HDTV cable channels are upconverted 4:3 programming...not true HD, but that is not the cable company's fault. That same channel will have true high def programming.

I do not understand how it is a misnomer? I had DISH network, and my digital cable is clearly better (couldn't resist the pun) especially on overcast days where satellite suffers. All digital cable signals are not the same though. They do have transmission problems with poor lines, lack of boost, too much gain, that you do not get with satellite. So one area may have good quality digital channels and another will have relatively poor quality even with the same provider. Satellite does compress signals, though, and adjusts bandwidth...they do.

They both have pros, and cons. But digital cable IS a digital signal (for their digital channels).
    Just a friendly note...and it is OK to disagree.
    Kranston

jwrebl

Posted: 2002-09-24 07:56

pjd999--

YIKESSS!!! What's the point of having a good reception if I can't watch the Flyers or Sixers? This is the stuff I was talking about when I said I would 'look into it'. Also-- since you are a Philly guy, do you know the answers to the following questions?

When is Comcast going to have CBS in High Def?
    When is Comcast SportsNet going to broadcast Flyers and Sixers games in High Def?
    I find it funny that the cable company's channel doesn't have this feature yet.

For Kranston and Dschroll-- when my cable guy came out to fix my signal, he said that it is presently the strongest in my neighborhood (after he fixed it ). I believe him because my picture is much better than before and the master cable box is outfront on my lawn so I have the shortest distance to it. Therefore, even though I may get a slightly better pic with Satellite (maybe not, as well?), it may not be worth it if I can't get the channels I want.

This is turning into an interesting post!

eezeepro

Posted: 2002-09-24 09:15

I have DirecTV and Comcast cable. (Don't ask why!) And hours of A-B ing for lo these many months on a 2 year old Sony XBR leads me to the conclusion that most of the time, the Comcast analog signal gives me a better picture. However, when watching pay per view movies, and certain films on HBO, Starz, etc. the PQ is super. However when it comes to channels like A&E, TBS, AMC, and Fox Sports net, cable's picture is noticably better than DirecTVs.

This topic thread spans 4 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.