Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:211
    Members:0
    Total of:211 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

a 2.1 setup Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 2,962
    Last Reply: January 26, 2006, 11:58 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | SPCOOLIN | jehill | royphil345 | beer786 |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author a 2.1 setup
    beer786

Posted: 2006-01-23 22:18

i want to make an order for sony's 2x100w stereo reciver and pair it with some 3 way sony floorstanding speakers. i wanna know if sonys STR-DE197 reciver can be hooked up to a powered sub. if so how is it done and what is the benifit/ disadvantage vs a sub out on a reciver. also i have heard u have to put the wires together but i dont think its achivable with the spring clips in the back of the reciver. thanks all help would be appreicated. first post hope it was good!

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-24 00:55

Beer786- You made a good first post.

You can always run wires from the speaker terminals to the Subwoofer instead of from the DE197.

What kind of Music are you planning on listening to with the Sony DE197 and the two speakers and Subwoofer you plan on getting?

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-24 15:13

The STR-DE197 doesn't include a subwoofer PRE OUT (line level signal controlled by volume control), meaning the that the only way that you can connect a subwoofer is to connect the two speaker channels to the speaker level inputs on the subwoofer as Maxx suggested.  This doesn't put a load on the amps because the voltage is attenuated to line level within the subwoofer circuitry.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

beer786

Posted: 2006-01-24 16:04

biggest gauge speaker cable that will fit in the back of those spring clips on the back of the sony reciver?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-24 16:41

That's a good question!  I wasn't aware of the fact that spring clips were provided for speaker terminals.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-24 17:31

Other advantages to a line-out for the sub typically are:

1)Separate Sub volume control in the receiver setup menu that can be accessed from the comfort of your listening position via the remote control....and sometimes...
    2) Bass re-direction with Adjustable crossover to the sub..also accessible from the remote...see: http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/setup/loudspeakers/bassmanagementbasics.php 

Another way to connect is to run the speaker wire to the sub first...
    Most "Active" subs have speaker level R/L In & Out nowadays....
    If sub has no outs...You could also twist the speaker wires together at the sub, sending the extra pairs on to the speakers.

Active (self powered) subs should also have a volume control and adjustable crossover built into the sub's plate amp.

Steve~

Sony DA5 ES Sony TA-N9000 ES (For Biamping Mains & Center) Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive Tech BP30 Mains CLR 3000 Center BPVX/P Surrounds CLR 2000 Rear Center SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 36" CRT

[ This message was edited by: SPCOOLIN on 2006-01-24 17:34 ]

royphil345

Posted: 2006-01-24 18:03

The STR-DE197 has A and B speaker outputs. The best way for you to hook up a sub would be to connect your mains to A and your subwoofer's speaker-level inputs to B. No "twisting the wires together" necessary. Then adjust the volume and crossover frequency on the sub for best results. Set it and forget it.

You could also connect the sub to the speaker outputs (A or B) and the main speakers to the sub's speaker outputs. Think with this method the crossover frequency between the sub and speakers is automatically set pretty high with most subs though. This method might be the best choice for smaller main speakers. With larger mains, your sub would be wasting power reproducing frequencies that could be handled by the mains / receiver amp.

I've got a system running a Sony SA-WX700 sub with Sony SS-MF750H mains and it sounds WAY more expensive than it was. Using my HT receiver to handle the crossover at 60 Hz, I've never heard a sub blend so seamlessly with the main speakers. The only weakness of the Sony SS towers seems to be the highest highs and lowest lows (if I set my crossover lower than 60 Hz there is a "hole"). Surprisingly flat frequency response throughout the frequencies they handle well though. Not the most "detailed" sound you'll ever hear, but a very nice 3D soundstage probably due to the nice, even frequency response through the mids with maybe a little added warmth. Get a very solid "clubby" sound out of the system, never harsh. Impresses visitors. Can play LOUD with enough clean power to the mains (Carver A-760x sees to that)!!!

[ This message was edited by: royphil345 on 2006-01-24 19:03 ]

beer786

Posted: 2006-01-24 18:11

the sony SA-WX700 really looks sharp, you all have an opinion on it?

royphil345

Posted: 2006-01-24 18:23

LOL....

Just modified my post... and there's my opinion of the SA-WX700.

Can't be beat for the money and probably quite a bit more. Excellent results with the Sony SS mains. Plays very low, sounds excellent and has enough power to keep up with the SS-MF750H playing at their full power handling capacity.

[ This message was edited by: royphil345 on 2006-01-24 18:44 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-25 03:04

Beer786- Its important that you won't be asking too much in the way of performance from the DE197. Will you be using it for Music or possibly Movies too?

~Maxx~

-----------------

beer786

Posted: 2006-01-25 10:22

i was told for the money the best thing to do was spring for a yamaha(yes i know its not sony! ) HTR-5830 5.1 reciver 110w x5 and than just do the system off of that. in terms of low price its 180 bucks and seems like a good bargin. i can run the sony mains no problem and than just utilize the sub out. also i can go full fledged 5.1 if i want later.The downside for the reciver is it has spring clips for the surround speakers on back which i find cheezy just the fronts are screw type posts. anyway in regards to the sony dual fireing 10 inch sub, it looks really nice and the build quality looks great (fat surround, nice cabnit , nice heaft) and i heard it hits low low with some signifigant bass impact. i wil be using the setup for music (country, a little rap and hiphop , classical pretty much the whole spectrum) and movies (mostly action)

[ This message was edited by: beer786 on 2006-01-25 10:24 ]

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-25 16:26

beer~

It's important to realise that the Sony DE197 is a "stereo" recevier, that is pretty much at the bottom of Sony's lineup.

Every manufactuer has Bottom Line products to appeal different folks...
    If you are going to compare manufactuers products, try to do it MSRP to MSRP, or Apples to Apples.

The Sony you originally asked about was not built as a multi channel surround sound receiver, and was really only intended for budget 2 channel stereo reproduction...without subwoofer....

Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-25 17:29

On 2006-01-24 18:03, royphil345 wrote:
    You could also connect the sub to the speaker outputs (A or B) and the main speakers to the sub's speaker outputs. Think with this method the crossover frequency between the sub and speakers is automatically set pretty high with most subs though.

A subwoofer's speaker level outputs are usually connected directly to the speaker level input terminals. Meaning that the result is no different than connecting the mains directly to the amp, other than the effect of any difference in the overall length of the speaker wire.  The speaker level inputs are attenuated to line level and passed through a low pass filter to the subwoofer amp.  The filter in no way effects the speaker level outputs, meaning that you can set the crossover frequency where ever you like.

-----------------
    -John

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-25 23:26

Beer786- What is your proposed budget for a Receiver?

~Maxx~

-----------------

royphil345

Posted: 2006-01-26 18:38

On 2006-01-25 17:29, jehill wrote:

A subwoofer's speaker level outputs are usually connected directly to the speaker level input terminals. Meaning that the result is no different than connecting the mains directly to the amp, other than the effect of any difference in the overall length of the speaker wire.  The speaker level inputs are attenuated to line level and passed through a low pass filter to the subwoofer amp.  The filter in no way effects the speaker level outputs, meaning that you can set the crossover frequency where ever you like.

I've owned a couple subs (JBL and Mirage)  that automatically crossed over the sub and speakers at around 100 Hz when the speaker-level ins and outs were being used. Maybe manufacturers aren't doing this anymore. Know I didn't like that feature when I was using speaker-level connections. Have only used the line-level in on the Sony...

[ This message was edited by: royphil345 on 2006-01-26 18:43 ]

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.