Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:195
    Members:1
    Total of:196 users
    MemberLogged
    ag1386.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

HT cabinet Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 1,969
    Last Reply: February 3, 2006, 3:40 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | avatar74 | JKuz |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author HT cabinet
    JKuz

Posted: 2006-01-08 20:12

I was wondering if there is any drawback (audio wise) in having the sub under ht cabinet like the one I made for myself?

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/4315/picture0144gp.jpg  

Made this about 2 years ago mostly because it was a good space saver.

I was browsing the galleries here I didn't see any like this so just seeing if there is good reason why?

Thanks

-----------------
    -LG 32LC7D 32" HD LCD
    -Comcast HD w/ Motorola DCH-3200
    -Samsung DVD-1080P7
    -Sony DA2100ES
    -Polk RT400 (Fronts)
    -Boston VRC (Center)
    -Polk R10 (Rear)
    -Atlantic PBM 262..soon to be upgraded!
    (haven't decided with what yet)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-09 02:13

JKuz- In a word the answer to why this is poor positioning for a Subwoofer is added RESONANCE.

Resonance effects every resistor, capacitor, circuitboard trace and IC chip etc. in every piece of your A/V equipment in the form of the Peizoelectric Effect which alters the way these components transmit electricity.

Adding the huge amount of Resonance that a Subwoofer is capable of giving off at such a close proximity to the rest of your equipment is sure to alter the performance of your A/V system in a negative way.

It looks like you have built a very high quality and sturdy equipment rack which is meant to offer isolation for your equipment from the Resonance of the room and improve the sound of your equipment. Adding the Subwoofer beneath it only works to defeat the effectiveness of the Resonance dampening capabilities of the equipment rack.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

JKuz

Posted: 2006-01-09 06:04

Thanks 4 the response.  I knew there had to be a reason why cabinets were not being made this way though I was hoping the reason wasn't this drastic .  Oh well guess it's time 4 the sub to be back in rear corner, which i am to thrilled about.  Even though subs reflect and provide room filling sound I can tell it being more dominate on one side of the room.  With it under cabinet it was always even.  But I will live with this rather than having it screw with my new receiver. 

-----------------
    -LG 32LC7D 32" HD LCD
    -Samsung DVD-1080P7
    -Sony DA2100ES
    -Polk RT400 (Fronts)
    -Boston VRC (Center)
    -Polk R10 (Rear)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-09 15:42

Each of us has a certain set of trade-offs that he has to live with, but along with these problems can come solutions.

If you want to balance the Sub-bass in your room would it be possible for you to add another Subwoofer?

~Maxx~

-----------------

JKuz

Posted: 2006-01-09 18:39

No, an additional sub is a no go, i made the cabinet just because i hated coughing up a whole corner for the sub.  Not to mention my friend is using my real sub, velodyne va-1512, as it was just too powerful for room, well I thought it was fine but the neighbors and police thought otherwise..  

Also a question about the resonance u mentioned.  My head isn't on too tight today   so forgive me if question is way off.  You are referring to vibration correct?  Just wanted to let it be known that the cabinet is not enclosed in sub area.  The back and sides are open so sound is free to go whereever and the sub is a sealed front firing.  I did crank up the sub today and felt all around the cabinet and vibration was extremely minimal.  Yes I know that it would be good to just avoid this completely by moving it but this means moving half the room around to compensate.

Anyway, one thing of note, got my glass toslink in today!  Thx so much for the find!  Though I don't have any plastic ones to compare to all I can say is wow....compared it to multi channel in and it was quite staggering how much better the toslink was.

Thanks again

-----------------
    -LG 32LC7D 32" HD LCD
    -Samsung DVD-1080P7
    -Sony DA2100ES
    -Polk RT400 (Fronts)
    -Boston VRC (Center)
    -Polk R10 (Rear)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-09 23:38

JKuz- Vibration induced Resonance will effect different equipment in different ways because some equipment is more sensitive than other equipment is.

We all must live with trade-offs within our Audio systems and so you must choose which ones you are willing to live with.

I'm glad to hear that you like the sound using your new Glass Toslink so much! There are several different varieties of Glass Toslink being sold these days, exactly which one did you get?
    ~Maxx~

-----------------

JKuz

Posted: 2006-01-10 01:36

Well disregard my previous post.  I went ahead and moved the sub just to see, watched a few mins. of dvd with optical tos and sub is staying in the corner.  It's just right since, at least to me, the sub in digital is a little on the weak side so this made it just perfect.  Just a habit of having one receiver for so long you forget that the new one is completely different. 

As far as the optical toslink, well there were a few on that page that i discovered to not be legit.  Labled as glass but went to website and no mention of being glass.  So I just went with the ones, don't laugh  , that said "glass optical fiber" on them that way i knew they were real deal.  Well at least being glass and optical that is.  The company that are selling these is...unique products online.....they send them via usps priority was here in 2 days.  I think it was around $21 total for 3ft. 

-----------------
    -LG 32LC7D 32" HD LCD
    -Samsung DVD-1080P7
    -Sony DA2100ES
    -Polk RT400 (Fronts)
    -Boston VRC (Center)
    -Polk R10 (Rear)

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-10 02:38

Its good to hear that you found a place for your Subwoofer that you are comfortable with.

The Glass Toslink is an amazing upgrade isn't it. I waited for years for the price to come down from $700/ 1 meter so that I could get one, but when I did finally get it I knew immediately that it made a very positive improvement on the sound I was hearing.

~Maxx~

-----------------

JKuz

Posted: 2006-01-10 07:14

Imagine the difference i'm hearing....Until yesterday I had been watching dvd's using analog 5.1 inputs    All I can say i knew there was gonna be a difference but nothing like this.  As soon as i plugged in the glass tos., turned on dvd, I then prepared myself for how digital ht is supposed to sound.....covering my ears preparing for volumes that make you cringe and bass u feel all over as you would at a retail electronics store demo room.....j/k   

Not quite.....
    It was the cleanest sound I've heard, with even volume coming from all speakers creating realistic 360 atmosphere.  Not to mention the 10-20 new sounds you hear in just about every scene of a movie that weren't there before.  After a few mins. I thought I would give it the clarity test.  However not having an analyzer I had to use my poor man version of an analyzer.  I turned it up to a reasonable listening level walked outside, closed the door and had a smoke.  After few mins. came back into the room and wth I had it this loud!!?  Clarity test passed...

All I can say to people is give this toslink a try it's only $20!  And if u r new to digital inputs be prepared, no not for wall shaking, ear cringing volume but clear, realistic sound perfectly all around you.   Oh and though I haven't done it myself yet but can easily see myself doing at some point.  Be prepared to pause dvd's to get up to check your front door cuz u don't know if it was the movie or really someone at door......

Very basic, nothin special
    13" tv! Getting new one soon old sony 27" fried due to electrical accident!!
    -Panasonic DVD-F85 player
    -Sony DA2100ES
    -Polk RT400 Fronts
    -Boston CR1 Center
    -Polk R10 Rear
    -Velodyne VA-1512.using Atlantic 262 PBM currently

[ This message was edited by: JKuz on 2006-01-10 07:22 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-10 15:19

In addition to the wonderful transparency of your new Glass Toslink another reason that you are hearing 10-20 new sounds in each scene is because using the Glass Toslink lets the excellent Digital to Analog converters in your Sony DA2100ES do the decoding into Analog rather than when you were using the 5.1 Analog wires and your Panasonic DVD F-85 was doing the decoding.

What the Glass Toslink is doing is providing the best Digital signal transmission possible and showing you what the DA2100ES is really capable of with a full bandwidth Digital signal. Awesome isn't it!

~Maxx~

-----------------

Posted: 2006-02-03 15:40

[ This message was edited by: avatar74 on 2006-02-22 23:03 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.