Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:212
    Members:1
    Total of:213 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP2.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

DAV-FR1 Questions Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 1,368
    Last Reply: January 9, 2006, 3:02 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | SPCOOLIN | jehill | TopazBlueXI | yoyo1972 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author DAV-FR1 Questions
    TopazBlueXI

Posted: 2006-01-07 13:11

I bought this system about a year ago and i love it, no problems best thing i ever did for myself. i mainly use it to listen to music, but on ocassion i do watch some movies with it. Lately i bought the wall mounts from sony after several failed attempts to make them myself. After this i had to rewire several of the speakers and this got me thinking, what gauge should i really be running because i have a huge amount of excess to some of my speakers. Also, i want to relocate my subwoofer but their is not enough cord, so regardless i need to change/upgrade the wiring.
    What gauge should i rewire my speakers with?
    What gauge should i rewire my woofer with?
    and
    How do i change the wire going ot my subwoofer?
    the distances for the speakers are:
    Front Right: ~182" or 15.2'
    Front Left: ~163" or 13.6'
    Rear Right: ~295" or 24.6'
    Rear Left: ~257" or 21.5'
    Subwoofer: ~205" or 17.1'
    their all around their and all measurments in feet were rounded to the nearest tenth

thanks for all your help

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-07 14:21

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Are you planning on running the cables through the walls or on the floor?  The reason that I ask is that if you are running the cables through the walls and later plan to upgrade your system, it might be wise to install higher quality cable with larger diameter conductors.  If the cables will not be installed through the walls, I would go with AWG 12 stranded speaker wire across the board.  That includes the two sub-woofer cables.  If you don't mind the appearance, you probably could get by with ordinary electrical cable.  Other than the appearance, it is no too flexible because the conductors are solid.  I am sure that others will chime in with wire recommendations.

For your information, each speaker jack on the rear of the HCD-FR1 main unit is the output of separate, identical, amp that delivers 75 watts at THD 0.7 to a 4 ohm speaker.  That includes the two WOOFER jacks.  It will be necessary for your to chop off the speaker cable connectors so that you can splice them to the new speaker wire.  I would chop them off no closer than 6" from the connector so that you have plenty of room to strip the ends of the conductors.  Note the insulation color for each conductor.  You will need this information to ensure that the proper phase is maintained when the speakers are connected using the new speaker wire.  This is especially important for the two WOOFER connectors, since the colors must be matched to those at the sub-woofer.  You have two choices at the sub-woofer: 1) open it up and make the connections internally or 2) chop of the cable and strip the ends of the conductors as you did at the receiver.  It is important that the same colors be connected together via the speaker wire from the connectors at the receiver to the connections at the speakers.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

TopazBlueXI

Posted: 2006-01-07 15:00

thanks a lot for the recomendation, as far as how im running the wires its a little of both, im running the wires on the ground untill i get below the speakers and then the wires go into and up the wall to the speakers. i will look into the subwoofer wiring later today. thanks again

yoyo1972

Posted: 2006-01-08 10:46

You can find a solution to your problem in: http://www.fixya.com/Product.aspx?prdid=225069

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-08 15:51

yoyo1972- Simply refering someone to a search engine does not solve their specific problem.

If you have done the research and found a solution to this particular problem we would like to hear it.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-08 16:00

All 11 of this YoYo's posts say the same thing!

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-09 03:02

You've got that right Steve! All the yoyo has done is plug various equipment model numbers into the search engine he's promoting.

If he'd ever visited the Agoraquest search engine he would know he was just wasting his time here.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.