Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:215
    Members:0
    Total of:215 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

Last Time - Power Conditioners - Who Has The Best? Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 2,703
    Last Reply: February 20, 2006, 1:11 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | retate | SPCOOLIN | OnlyESPlease | lemoncadillac | markhubert13 | edconline | LONGBUCKS |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Last Time - Power Conditioners - Who Has The Best?
    markhubert13

Posted: 2006-01-06 04:11

I have posted several types of threads on power conditioners.  Question such as:  What brand do you have? Do you like it?  If you could upgrade, which would you get?  Several of these questions have been asked.  I would like to ask once more for everybodys input.

If you don't have a conditioner yet and are thinking about getting one, put your two cents in and let other people in on a little bit on information.  I have spoke and read about several brands of conditioners.  I would like to know other than price, what makes one stand out more than the other.  And what would you prefer?  Are there any more out there that might be more superior?

Belkin
              AP41300-12          $750
              AP21300-12          $550
              AP21100-12          $350

Monster Cable
              HTS5100MKII        $700
              HTS3600MKII        $500
              HTS3500MKII        $400

Panamax
              M5500-EX            $1000
              M5400-EX            $750
              M5300-EX            $500
              M5100-EX            $350

In the near future I plan on purchasing the high end of the Sony ES line.  Receiver, DVD, SACD, etc.  What are your sugestions, facts and knowledge on any or all of these products.

Let me know,

mark

edconline

Posted: 2006-01-06 12:28

mark,
    for what it's worth i finally settled on the Monster HTPS 7000 SS after looking at all of the ones you listed. I am eventually going to buy the Monster AVS 2000 SS to use with it, but there are other upgrades I have in mind first. I'm really happy with my STRDA7100ES but that being said if the STRDA9100ES comes out in North America I'd buy that and try to sell the 7100 in a second, so you may want to wait and see. The DVPNS9100 is rock solid and I'd recommend this to anyone, save for the minor pain in the ass of no DVD Audio. Anyways hope this helps.
    Ed

-----------------
    KDSR60XBR2, STRDA7100ES, DVPNS9100ES, RDRGX315, SLVN750, SSK90ED (x2), SSK70ED (x3), SSMB150H (x2), SAWX900 x 2, SAWX700 x 2, PS3 (60GB), Dell XPS M1710 w/ BD Burner, Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD, Gamecube, RMAV3000, HTPS 7000 SS MK2, AVS 2000 SS, HTUPS 500 x 2

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-06 14:33

I have both Mon$ter and Panamax surge protectors/line conditoners and the Panamax is my favorite for its faithful surge protection and excellent RFI/EMI reduction.

I use the Pamnamax to run 3 individuated line conditioners for my Digital front end, Preamp and Power Amp. The 2 Vans Evers Line Conditioners and 1 Tice Line Conditioner actually improve the sonics of the gear they are associated with which is something that the Mon$ter and Panamax units do not have the ability to do.

A great line conditioner should be able to not only lower the noisefloor to reveal additional detail that you have never heard before in your recordings, but it should also outline the sonic images and separate them one from another and place them in the soundstage against a black noise free background.

These are the effects that reasonably priced Line Conditioning should be capable of.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

OnlyESPlease

Posted: 2006-01-06 15:16

All of them make fine products. Determine which has the features versus expense which works for you. There are more than enough threads going, full of many divergent opinions, through which one can browse and gain more than an understanding of many peoples thoughts on line conditioning.

-----------------
    STR-DA7ES w/ RM-TP1, 60A2000 SXRD,BDP-S1, DHG-HDD250, DVP-NS999ES, RCD-W222ES; Monster Signature 3 & 2 Channel Amplifiers, Signature HTPS 7000 and Signature AVS 2000; Polk RT2000i, CS400i, FXi50; SVS PC-Ultra Sub; Audioquest, Monster,and IXOS cables.

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-06 17:07

• Member Quote

On 2006-01-06 15:16, OnlyESPlease wrote:
    All of them make fine products. Determine which has the features versus expense which works for you. There are more than enough threads going, full of many divergent opinions, through which one can browse and gain more than an understanding of many peoples thoughts on line conditioning.

Very well said! The only thing I might add is audition, audition, audition!

Every piece of A/V equipment has its own power supply design and it will react differently to different types of line conditioning.

I brought home several very well reviewed line conditioners that just made my Audio equipment sound flat.

I kept auditioning prospective line conditioners until I found the perfect one that made my equipment come alive and sound the way I had always hoped it would.

Its not as important to find the best line conditioner as it is to find the one that is the perfect match for your set of equipment.

When you find the right line conditioner there won't be a doubt in your mind that you've found the right one because your Audio system will sound that much better!

~Maxx~

-----------------

LONGBUCKS
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 13:20

I have been looking at power conditioners as well.  Now I have a wonderful $40 surge protector.  I see I have been a bit negligent in that regard.  I was a little perplexed on what is the best way to handle the subwoofer.  My sub would be placed too far away from the power condtioner to reach with a standard cord.  My options would be an extension cord for the sub, or purchase an addtional subwoofer surge protector.  Any thoughts on what would be better?  I am afraid I already may know the answer....the one that costs the most money of course.

Dave

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 15:16

Dave- Your Subwoofer draws a lot of power and you will probably get better performance from it if it has its own surge protector operating out of its own electrical outlet ideally on its own circuit.

~Maxx~

-----------------

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 15:39

Of the Panamax models you listed above I have the 5300EX...

I started out with a Panamax 5100 (Previous Model no EX) and although it seemed to work well and had all the features I needed...I was disappointed in the voltage display LED's accuracy...they could be as much as 10 volts off the actual voltage when read by my Fluke True RMS Multimeter....which was unacceptable to me.....
    When I questioned Panamax about this, they said that I would have to move up to the 5300 or above models to get the accurate display I was looking for.

I purchased from Crutchfield...and was able to return the 5100 for full credit (shipping included) towards the 5300 EX with the digital volt meter in "Blue" to match all the rest of my Sony gear...

Being here in The "Lightning Capital of the World" it's protection has proved to be worth the cost, and has shut down more than once...only to power back up with no damage to any of my gear.

I also use a APC Back-UPS XS1000 in conjunction with the Panamax for the items needing power for memory...

Hope this helps...
    Steve~

Sony DA5 ES Sony TA-N9000 ES (For Biamping Mains & Center) Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive Tech BP30 Mains CLR 3000 Center BPVX/P Surrounds CLR 2000 Rear Center SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 36" CRT

[ This message was edited by: SPCOOLIN on 2006-02-17 21:01 ]

LONGBUCKS
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 16:13

Thanks Maxx & Steve,

I was thinking it would better off separate.  I am a bit out in the country and at the end of the power line.  Ahhhh, nothing like the lights dimming when the A/C kicks on.  Steve, I was strongly considering the 5300EX.  My impression I got from you is that it is highly recommended.  I know that little blue light must at least be worth $100.  Crutchfield has it on backorder and does not expect any more until 3/01/06.  I can find one for a lot cheaper on Ebay, but those do not come with the 5,000,000 guarantee.  I think that is worth a couple hundred bucks.

Dave

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 17:09

Mark & Dave~

Just dealing with Crutchfield is worth a couple hundred bucks !...especially if you have problems with anything. 

I just found my thread where I went thru a problem with my amp, and the Panamax was part of the process of finding a soultion...

If your interested...The Panamax stuff starts on the end of pg 3....

http://www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=21115&forum=51&start=20&select_page_number=3 

Steve~

Sony DA5 ES Sony TA-N9000 ES (For Biamping Mains & Center) Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive Tech BP30 Mains CLR 3000 Center BPVX/P Surrounds CLR 2000 Rear Center SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 36" CRT

[ This message was edited by: SPCOOLIN on 2006-02-17 20:58 ]

LONGBUCKS
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 17:58

I have dealt with Crutchfield on a couple occassion before.  They were always great at answering my questions after the sale.  I have no problem paying extra for service.  I can see they went above & beyond for you.  I was looking at the 5300 because of the dual Sat ins for the Tivo.  I saw more "blue light" references in your post link, you must be a big fan of K-Mart.

Dave

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-17 18:12

On 2006-02-17 17:58, LONGBUCKS wrote:

I saw more "blue light" references in your post link, you must be a big fan of K-Mart.

Dave

Don't think you could find one thing in my equipment list, or system that came from anywhere near K-Mart...Not even a splitter !

I do like the blue "Illumination" to match the rest of my components.

Steve~

-----------------
    Spcoolin's Web Site:

http://marine-ac.com/

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-19 02:22

I've measured and tried a lot of Line Conditioners over the years and I've found that there are 3 basic kinds-

1) Those that measure poor RFI/EMI reduction.

2) Those that measure great RFI/EMI reduction (like Panamax!).

3) Those that measure great as well as offer a significant improvement in the sound of the equipment they provide AC power to.

~Maxx~

-----------------

lemoncadillac
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-19 22:07

Hi again,
    I'm thinking Max. but all are welcome.
    Doesn't it all start with something like hospital grade outlets? Does anyone no if this make a difference? I am in the market for a line conditioner. I live in a hole with a Quest sub station down the block. My cell phone works like crap (verizon) ATT is slightly better. AM radio I use the Internet. This is the first free thing I have ever paid for. I think all of your help is great.

Any thoughts
    Lemon

retate

Posted: 2006-02-19 23:24

Lemon,

The quality of outlets, gauge of wire, quality of ground, and the quality of installation will affect sound quality in many cases.  The list of things that I have tried over the years all of which have improved sound quality include:

- Dedicated 20 amp circuits with isolated ground for audio and video.
    - A dedicated 20 amp 240 volt circuit for the power amp using 10 guage wire.  This change was based on a recommendation from a representative of the amplifier manufacturer that the amp would sound better running on 240 volts which it did.  With a 240 volt connection you have balanced AC power which helps with noise rejection.
    - Retightening connections in the breaker box (This should be left to an electrician) and making sure that all outlets have good physical connections.
    - PS Audio power conditioner.

I once had a preamp/phono set up that I would hear a pop everytime the refrigeratior ice maker made ice.  This started down me down the path of improving power quality and reducing noise and RF.

Bob

On 2006-02-19 22:07, lemoncadillac wrote:
    Hi again,
    I'm thinking Max. but all are welcome.
    Doesn't it all start with something like hospital grade outlets? Does anyone no if this make a difference? I am in the market for a line conditioner. I live in a hole with a Quest sub station down the block. My cell phone works like crap (verizon) ATT is slightly better. AM radio I use the Internet. This is the first free thing I have ever paid for. I think all of your help is great.

Any thoughts
    Lemon

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.