Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:170
    Members:0
    Total of:170 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

STR-DE995 Problem Dashboard
    Replies: 11 | Views: 2,843
    Last Reply: April 4, 2006, 11:29 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | SPCOOLIN | jehill | nova | roy9999 | yoyo1972 | Merlu31 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author STR-DE995 Problem
    roy9999

Posted: 2006-01-02 17:47

Hey, hope you guys can help – fficeffice" />>>I've had a problem with my 2003 STR-DE995 jumping into "PROTECTION" mode, and shutting down when I listen Loud, ever since I hooked-up a pair of large tower Paradigm Studio 100 speakers as my main speakers, and I hear the Paradigm Studio 100s draw a lot of power. 
    I unplugged from a muti-plug situation and gave it a "dedicatied" (just it's own plug) AC line which helped.  It sits with open ventilation, However still a problem at peak "noise" levels, (aplouding on a concert DVD)  I have speakers running to all 8 chanels, so I'm "working it" but the suround speakers are minimal in size,  and of course the subw. powers itself.  I thought 110 watts would handle it. I'm thinking of hooking-up another amp to the system but have No clue as to how to go about it and maintain best sound integrity.  I've read about bi-amping but don’t want to go buy an identical amp. / bi-wiring?  I do have a 20 year old, but limeted hours "Bedini" amp and pre-amp (2-channel) I could utilize.  Then would I use the amp Only?  Should I configure the pre-amp power to the big speakers only?  The only amp outputs I see on the SONY is the “Zone2”.  I can hook-up to this, but I think I won’t be getting true surround channels to the main speakers will I ?   Can I feed the extra Bedini power directly into the STR-DE997 ??  Will this create even More Heat ??  Bi-amp ???  Would be nice not to have to kick-on the second amp constantly as I only go Loud a small percentage of my listening.  And the Bedini was a nice "clean" amp in it's day, but will this 20 yr old compromise the whole system by beig so "old-school" ??

Thanks Guys,  I appreciate your time.  Roy

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-03 01:37

What model number is your Bendini Amp? They came in output ratings from 25-200 wpc. You are not going to be able to intergate it into your Audio system unless you have preamp outputs for the left and right front channels on your Receiver.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-03 12:55

Here you indicated that you had an STR-DE997.  Did you read my response to that thread?  Now you indicate that you have an STR-DE995.  Which is it?  If you have an STR-DE995, the stereo mode power rating is only 100 wpc, 10 wpc lower than that of the STR-DE997.  I am not sure how much difference that makes, but it can't help.  I am sorry to hear that replacement of your front L and R speakers with Paradigm Studio 100 speakers didn't help.  I forgot about the 2nd zone outputs when I suggested that you connect your Bedini preamp to the MD/TAPE audio outputs.  Both the 2nd zone and MD/TAPE outputs have the disadvantages that: 1) the signal level is fixed and 2) only analog stereo inputs are output at these jacks.  The fixed signal level means that you need an external volume control, such as the one in your Bedini preamp, which would be problematic since you would have adjust both your receiver's volume control and your Bedini preamp volume control.

If you want to see what you can do to improve the sound using your Bedini preamp and amp, I would suggest that you purchase a speaker level attenuator, connect its input terminals to the L and R speaker terminals on your receiver and connect its output terminals to the input terminals on your Bedini preamp, which would be connected to your Bedini preamp in the normal configuration.  You would then have two options for connecting your Paradigm Studio 100 speakers:

1)  Disconnect them from the front L and R terminals on the receiver and connect them to the output terminals on your Bedini amp.  This would have the advantage that the burden on your receiver would be reduced because speakers would no longer be connected to the front L and R channels.

2)  Leave the high frequency section of the Studio 100 speakers connected to the front L and R terminals on the receiver and connect the low frequency section (bi-wire) of the Studio 100 speakers to the output terminals of the Bedini amp.  you must make sure that the voltages to the two speaker sections are in phase.

In both cases, you would only need to adjust the Bedini preamp volume control once to match the volume level of the other channels or the high frequency section of the Paradigm Studio 100 speakers.  You would also need to make sure that the front L and R speakers are set to LARGE in the receiver in order to get a full range output signal from the speaker terminals.  The use of a Radio Shack SPL meter and test recordings is highly recommended.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-03 14:57

roy9999- If you decide to persue this series of cnnections do be sure to get as high a quality speaker level attentuater as you possibly can. Your Paradigm Studio 100's will thank you for it.

~Maxx~

-----------------

yoyo1972

Posted: 2006-01-08 10:49

You can find a solution to your problem in:

http://www.fixya.com/Product.aspx?prdid=224375

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-08 15:47

yoyo1972- Simply refering someone to a search engine does not solve their specific problem.

If you have done the research and found a solution to this particular problem we would like to hear it.

~Maxx~

-----------------

SPCOOLIN
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-08 16:01

All 11 of this YoYo's posts say the same thing!

Sony DA5 ES Sony TA-N9000 ES (For Biamping Mains & Center) Sony CX985 400 Disc DVD/CD Definitive Tech BP30 Mains CLR 3000 Center BPVX/P Surrounds CLR 2000 Rear Center SVS 20-39 PCI Sony KV-36FS17 36" CRT

[ This message was edited by: SPCOOLIN on 2006-01-08 16:02 ]

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-09 02:49

You've got that right Steve! All he's done is plug various equipment model numbers into the search engine he's promoting.

If he'd ever visited the Agoraquest search engine he would know he was just wasting his time here.

~Maxx~

-----------------

roy9999

Posted: 2006-01-09 15:36

Well Thanks A Lot guys for the education and warm welcome!

First off, sorry for the confussion, I in fact have the 2003 STR-DE995.
    And Yes my big beautiful Paradigm Studios 100s came in, but Not to the rescue I'm afraid.  Sound awsome but same problem, plus I just know they would thrive on more power.
    I may try the bi-amp suggestion, but this apparently would not be the ideal long term solution.  Guess I have to come to grips that I did not invest enough in my receiver for my tastes, and fell for SONY's "100wpc" rating scam, and too late to return it.  So this all brings me to my next question since you guys are so knowledgable and helpful: 

1.  What would you recomend as a resonably priced upgrade?
    I don't have a problem going "used" but are there that many used 7.1s out there?  (By the way is 7.1 ever going to take off?  Or should I be looking at 5.1?)  I'd like to spend maybe $500- $1000 but maybe get a $2000 unit for that.

2.  Where would you suggest I look for used receivers (Not nec. SONY)
    and sell mine?

By the way my unit would work Great for someone living with thier grandmother in an appartment bldg .

THanks Again !!   Roy

nova

Posted: 2006-01-28 12:25

Your story sounds very familiar. What I ended up doing was moving my 995 to the bedroom and only using 2 8ohm speakers. Still gets pretty hot but only driving two speakers it has not gone into protect mode. I basically just gave up on it and since I could not take it back,.... well I felt totally ripped off. 100 wpc hmmmf! I bet it's more like 23 wpc.
    Anyway I upgraded to a Denon 3805, it drives my speakers to reference level without problems. Decent receiver, good feature set, and now a days you should be able to pick one up for $600 (new) or so.

Merlu31

Posted: 2006-04-04 20:51

On my case, the only solution to this "PROTECT" Message on al the Sony Receivers are the SOLDER JOINS!!!!
    FORGET ABOUT SHORTCUTS ON THE SPEAKERS!!!
    I have the same problem twice on a Sony STR-DE 475 and on the two oportunities i find a LOT of WEAK SOLDER JOINS.
    So when i soldered again the unit works fine.
    The real mess here is FIND the weak soldered joins, because they appear ramdomly with the use... But beleive me that is the only or the most popular cause of the PROTECT MODE that all the sony receivers users are posting here!!
    This is a TIPICAL SONY RECEIVERS ERROR!!! and it cames from factory, because i search this forum,google and all the people that have sony recivers has the same problem.

For Example, the last time i have the Protect mode ( With the receiver without the speaker connected on the back) i find that the IC701 (upc2581) have the legs 12-14 "on the air" or without making good contact ( because when i punch the receiver it works for a couple of minutes until "PROTECT" cames again).
    So i need to soldered it again to the board and also i have to "reforce" other weak solder joins that are closer to go weak.

Good luck finding your weak soldered joins!!!!

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-04-04 23:29

For most end users it is advisable to let a trained service technician who has the proper diagnostic equipment do the dirty work of finding the bad solder joints and repairing them.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.