Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:207
    Members:1
    Total of:208 users
    MemberLogged
    Johnnycanso69 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

New SXRD - Power Conditioners - Belkin vs Monster Power Dashboard
    Replies: 25 | Views: 10,560
    Last Reply: January 1, 2006, 2:35 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | octong | jehill | OnlyESPlease | Fade2Black | markhubert13 | edconline |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author New SXRD - Power Conditioners - Belkin vs Monster Power
    markhubert13

Posted: 2005-12-16 03:30

Hello,

I recently purchased an 50" SXRD, and have been having a little blurryness with the picture.  I have been doing a lot of research on inmproving the power supply. 

Currently the TV along with all of my other equipment is connected into a basic APC surge protector.  I have read that this might be the problem.  I have also read that it might improve if I connect the TV direclty to the wall.  I'm a little nervious to do that with a $4000 TV.

So, I have been looking into power conditioners.  I have looked at both Belkin and Monster Power conditioners and would like a little more input on both.  I understand that the monster power products might be over priced, but have not heard of the belkin being over priced.  And which brand has a better reputation?  Has anyone every had problems with either?

Please compare this conditioners:

Monster Cable
                   HTS 3600 MKII     $500     6500J
                   HTS 3600            $500     3000J

Belkin
                   AP30800-10         $400     5500J
                   AP21300-12         $550     ??J

This is the price range that I'm looking to spend.  I would like to everybody opinion on this topic.  I feel that it is many people need to know about this topic.  Including me.

Thanks

mark

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-16 12:16

Your $4000 TV is designed to be operated plugged directly into a wall outlet.  Why not compare operation plugged into the wall with operation plugged into the surge protector to determine if the surge protector is causing the blurriness?

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

Fade2Black

Posted: 2005-12-17 11:06

I have the 60" SXRD version. Right now until I can run dedicated lines in my basement. I have it plugged into a APC H15 power conditioner with no problems...........

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-17 14:18

You might consder the Panamax MAX 5410 Pro. Besides all of the excellent surge protection and line conditioning technoogy that 25 years of reaserch and development at Panamax has created, the 5410 Pro also has an RS 232 feature that can interace with automated home installations.

http://www.audioholics.com/news/industry/PanamaxMax5410.htm

This is a very forward thinking line conditioner that has an MSRP of $750, but is available at many different websites for $550.

Panamax also has the M4310 amd M4410 models which have much of the same surge protection and line conditioning as the M5410 only without the RS 232 feature which retail for $300 and can be found for $250.

Another model you might want to check out is the Panamax M5300. Here is a link to a detailed review-

http://www.laaudiofile.com/max5300.html

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

[ This message was edited by: Maxxwire on 2005-12-17 14:34 ]

octong

Posted: 2005-12-18 20:03

I had to pick up a second (and third) power center recently and if I hadn't gotten a killer deal on a pannie 5300 and ... and some lower model I got for the rear of the room .... I would've jumped on this deal.

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?accspowr&1139847782

159 after rebate is hard to beat on this unit. Seems like the guy has good feedback. I have no experience with this model but I've used a monster 5100 and have the pan 5300 on my sxrd now. Both seem to do about as well although the panamax seems to be a little better regarded.

-----------------
    --Rob--

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-18 23:48

I have both Mon$ter and Panamax line conditioners and the Panamax measures a small fraction of the RFI/EMI that the Mon$ter unit does according to an Audio Prism Line Sniffer.

Its good to hear from you Rob! Do you still have the TA N90ES?

~Maxx~

-----------------

markhubert13

Posted: 2005-12-20 17:24

So everybody is stating that the Panamax are better than the monsters?

Where is a good site that you can pick up Panamax at a good price?

mark

octong

Posted: 2005-12-20 18:53

Hey Maxx,
    Still have the ta-n90es and just bought one the new Mcintosh Pre-Pros which has balanced outputs for the mains and center so I'm using the amp with some niced xlr cables I picked up for a great deal on Ebay to power my mains. Still on the lookout for another tan90 so I can have, at least, my front channels all matched up.

Two channel listening is pretty awesome with the mcintosh though.
    How have things been going for you?

-----------------
    --Rob--

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-21 02:06

• Member Quote

On 2005-12-20 17:24, markhubert13 wrote:

Where is a good site that you can pick up Panamax at a good price?

mark

Here's an Authorized Panamax dealer you might want to check out-

http://www.powersystemsdirect.com/Panamax/M5300-EX_Max_5300-EX_Home_Theater_Surge_Protector_1644.php

~Maxx~

-----------------

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-21 02:27

• Member Quote

On 2005-12-20 18:53, octong wrote:Two channel listening is pretty awesome with the mcintosh though.
    How have things been going for you?

Rob- Earlier this year I upgraded my Tube Power Amp to a Conrad-Johnson MV-52 which has the reputation for being the most Musical Power Amp CJ has ever made and after 150+ improvements its living up to its reputation. It has single ended inputs which I am running with Transparent Ultra interconnects and I am very happy with the combination.

Dan Wright loaned me some Cryo Silver cables with Platinum plated Silver WBT terminations, but they sounded thin and anemic compared to the rich full bodied sound of the Ultras.

Its good to talk to you again! I hope that you will come around more often.

You may have to wait until next year to get your TA N90ES because I hear that Santa has weight restrictions on his sleigh and that Power Amp would displace a lot of presents.

~Maxx~

-----------------

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-21 14:32

For anyone intersted in taking a look inside one of the finest Stereo Power Amps Sony ever built here are 5 pictures Rob posted of his TA N90ES back in 2003-

http://209.59.135.61/viewtopic.php?topic=9611&forum=51

~Maxx~

-----------------

octong

Posted: 2005-12-21 22:15

Hey Maxx,
    Sounds like the system is doing well indeed! It got cold down here in VA a little earlier than usual so I've switched back from motorcycle obsession to gear obsession a little sooner this year.

Funny you should post the links to the pics I took of the amp when I bought it. I think I was my own worst enemy when I got that thing. Posted a couple of reviews ... and those pics. Before there had been little info on the 90 and it seemed that the going price jumped right after. Now it's pretty tough to track them down. I could be  overrating my impact on the market of course

The mc pre-pro I got was the mx119, on the strong recommendation of someone I really trust in these matters, and on analog it reminds me of the kind of pure sound I remember when I briefly tried a ta-p9000es with a couple of the pieces in my system.

I'm still riding up the learning curve on this new stuff I was compelled to buy but as I finally get through more of the curve I'm sure I'll be looking back here pretty often for some advice during the cold months

-----------------
    --Rob--

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-22 02:27

I agree! There's nothing like the sound of a pure Analog signal path! No sampling, no quantinazation and no Data/Clock jitter to muddy things up.

The folks at Conrad-Johnson in Fairfax, VA sure do make some nice sounding room warmers!

~Maxx~

-----------------

edconline

Posted: 2005-12-22 18:08

Question:
    I was looking at purchasing the Monster Cable HTPS 7000 and the AVS 2000 signature series because as a retailer we get 60% off monster products. However, obviously the reason I am looking at these products is because I want something that does the best job I can get. (Well ok, the discount is a bit of a selling feature) Does anyone have one or both of these and could compare it to the Panamax offerings?
    Ed

-----------------
    KDSR60XBR2, STRDA7100ES, DVPNS9100ES, RDRGX315, SLVN750, SSK90ED (x2), SSK70ED (x3), SSMB150H (x2), SAWX900 x 2, SAWX700 x 2, PS3 (60GB), Dell XPS M1710 w/ BD Burner, Xbox 360 w/ HD DVD, Gamecube, RMAV3000, HTPS 7000 SS MK2, AVS 2000 SS, HTUPS 500 x 2

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-12-22 22:10

You might send an Inbox message to OnlyESPlease as he has the Monster HTPS 7000 and is quite happy with it. Finding someone who has directly compared this unit with the Panamax line may be more difficult.

~Maxx~

-----------------

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.