Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:224
    Members:0
    Total of:224 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: Toli
    Agoraquest Forum Index Getting Started/Building a Home Theater

HT-DDW670 questions Dashboard
    Replies: 9 | Views: 6,195
    Last Reply: November 20, 2012, 10:59 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | jehill | rua17 | yoyo1972 | Robbiec1 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author HT-DDW670 questions
    rua17

Posted: 2005-11-19 17:01

Hello, Im thinking on buying the SONY HT-DDW670 but I have some questions:

First, Im not familiar with the pasive subwoofer. My room is about 3x3 meters and I dont know if the sound would be fine in this size of rooms.

Seccond, I live in Costa Rica, and the DDW670 here is 5x85 watts (510 total). I believe in USA is 5x100 w (600 total). Anyone knows why this is different?

And my last question is, does 6.1 really overruns 5.1? What would you reccomend me. Does 5.1 will dissapear?

TIA

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-11-20 16:25

Welcome to Agoraquest!  The differences in the power ratings are due to differences in how the power must be measured in different countries.  Both the 100 watt US and your 85 watt ratings are at 6
    ohms 1 kHz, THD 10% for all but the subwoofer.  The subwoofer is 6 ohms 100 Hz, THD 10%.  10% total harmonic distortion is awfully high for power measurements.  Increasing the THD level increases the number.  For the US model, the following STEREO rating is provided:

"With 6 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 120 - 20,000 Hz; rated 60 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.7% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output."

This tells the real story.  There are actually six identical amps (one for the subwoofer) in the STR-K670P receiver.  The 60 watt rating is the only one that I would pay any attention to.  Whether or not there will be enough sound for your room depends on how much volume you desire.  It may be enough for you.  The only way that you can determine that is to try it out in your room, which I would highly recommend.  I don't understand your last question.  The STR-K670P is a 5.1 channel receiver.  Personally, I wouldn't get it, unless you can't afford anything better.  Its always best to get a good receiver (better than the  the STR-K670P), matched 8 ohm front, center and surround speakers and an active subwoofer (a standard receiver doesn't include an amp for a subwoofer).  The receiver's amps should be full range, i.e. 20 - 20,000 Hz, an include the input and output capability that you need.  If you decide to upgrade the receiver or speakers, you may do so without a hassel.  For example, if you tried to upgrade the speakers included with the HT-DDW670, the first obstacle would be the 6 ohm impedance requirement.  The second obstacle would be the 120 - 20,000 Hz frequency response of the amps.  They wouldn't be able to drive full range speakers.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

yoyo1972

Posted: 2006-01-08 11:00

You can find a solution to your problem in:
    http://www.fixya.com/Product.aspx?prdid=225067

Maxxwire
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-08 15:42

yoyo1972- Simply refering someone to a search engine does not solve their specific problem.

If you have done the research and found a solution to this particular problem we would like to hear it.

~Maxx~

-----------------
    A Satisfied Sony Fan Since 1974!

The OCCC Furu-Charged Sony DB 930

rua17

Posted: 2006-01-17 11:11

Thanks, I read all your comments, and I decided to buy the HT-DDW670. It's a 6.1 755 watts HT with an active subwoofer

I'm very happy with it, the sound is just great, altough I didn't have time to tune it up.

Anyone does have this HT?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-17 13:18

If you are happy with the system, that's all that's important.  Not to argue with you, but your subwoofer is passive because it doesn't contain its own amplifier.  The amplifier is in the STR-K670P receiver.  This is why the receiver has 6 amps.  The result is still a 5.1 system because you have center, front L, front R, surround L, surround R and subwoofer channels.  The 0.1 channel is the subwoofer.  Ordinarily, its what is referred to as a PRE OUT, a low level output suitable for driving the amp in an active subwoofer.  The output level is controlled by the receiver's volume control.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

rua17

Posted: 2006-01-17 14:02

Sorry I bought the  HT-DDW870. this system have an activ SW and is 6.1  

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-18 11:51

That's interesting.  Apparently, the amps in the included STR-K870P receiver are identical to those in the STR-K670P, because the frequency response and power ratings are identical.  Its just that there is one less amp, due to the active subwoofer.  Best of luck with your new HT.

-----------------
    -John

Robbiec1

Posted: 2012-11-19 17:08

Dear All,

I'm currently trying to use my HTDDW670 Surround Sound System that was purchased in America in Europe, The Netherlands to be particular. I am using a Franzus Travel Smart Power Adapter to convert the electricity from 220/240 to 110/120. My system will give me the "click-sound" as if it were turning on once I hit the power button, but it will not power-up or stay on! Any suggestions on how to get it to work??!! Thanks for your time and help... It's greatly appreciated!!

Sincerely,
    Rob Crow

PS -Realize I should also include that the power converter says it converts to 110 watts, not 120 watts too, just in case this is my main problem, but don't think it is though!!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2012-11-20 10:59

What is the model number of your "Franzus Travel Smart Power Adapter"?  I suspect that the adapter is not suitable for your HTDDW570.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.