Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:178
    Members:0
    Total of:178 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: jttar
    Agoraquest Forum Index Computers Troubleshooting

PCV RX406 Recovery Problem Dashboard
    Replies: 13 | Views: 7,620
    Last Reply: October 12, 2009, 3:14 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | herbalgerbal | Sifi | ryan2009 |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author PCV RX406 Recovery Problem
    Sifi

Posted: 2005-11-16 15:53

Hi People
    Have done the necessary , F5 in setup for defaulting system bios. Cd in tray and F10 exit saving changes. Displayes recovery in progress. Then comes up after 30 secs " Cannot normally execute the initial setting of partition information. This utility exits and your computer rebooted. " Vaio desktop came with partition 60 gig divided into c: 27.9 gig d: 27.9 gig . Checked a few forums . nobody seems to know. Any Ideas would be gratefully appreciated ..........

javascript:editor_insertHTML('message',' ');

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-11-16 22:00

Sifi,

Greetings and welcome. I did a search for an answer to your problem and found THIS post. Give it a read and see if it sounds like what you are running up against.

Joe

Sifi

Posted: 2005-11-17 17:22

Joe

Thanks for link, i have got myself a win98 bootup disk and have put it in drive and restarted. Message comes up "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart." I know it isn't the disk i've tried 3 different disks. I think sony has put some kind of boot disk stop device on it. took it to pc world and they have 30 day christmas waiting list. I had this exact problem 12 months ago when i put to much crap on it. it started to slow down. so when i tried to recover then it did the same thing . they managed to sort it out at pc world i just haven't a clue how. I just cant believe how hard it is.

Si

If there's anymore you can think of it would be gratefully appreciated....

Thanks again.

herbalgerbal

Posted: 2005-11-20 13:43

hi Si,

i have the same pc and about 2 months ago the same problem,
    a friend sorted it out for me and i was not quite sure how he did it,  but,

this is really vague help from me but i seem to remember he opened the tower case and removed the small battery for a minute or two (to reset something) then went into bios mode, deleted the partition and then ran the recovery discs which naturally restored the partition and system applications again.

This problem seems to occur when users change the partition settings whilst the pc is working fine, which causes complications when runing recovery discs.

There are valid reasons for having a partitioned hard drive (so i'm told)

I hope this can help in some way,?, i should have paid more attention when my pal fixed mine.

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-11-21 00:07

herbalgerbal,

Good to hear from you and thanks for the help. What your friend did was to remove the battery from the motherboard to clear the CMOS. Hopefully, your post will be able to help Sifi.

Joe

Sifi

Posted: 2005-11-21 18:53

Hi Guys

Have removed cmos battery to produce more settings in bios which configure cpu bandwidth and so on. But there is nothing in bios in all sub menu's about deleting the partition. Before when i took my pc to pc world all my files were still as i left them on the d: which is my non system partition. I have tried win 98 cd's just so i can boot harddrive with cdrom support but when i try to c:fdisk/mbr to remove partition it doesn't recognise my hdd. tried typing all letters just incase. a: b: c: d: ......... a: is temp setup drive D and E are dvd roms. But no sign of hd (only when i put win98 boot cd setup for fdisk purpose only). My operating system is XP home . Just wanted it to run fast again. Pc world still got 28 days waiting.

Herbalgerbal, would you be able to speak to your friend for a more technical note on your above comments as it would save these tension headaches i have been getting for a week. I would be most abliged.

Jttar, Thanks for all your Efforts.

Sifi.....

herbalgerbal

Posted: 2005-11-22 18:17

Sifi,

I tried to contact him before i posted the last reply.
    I'll give it another go tomorrow, its a bit late tonight...

Hope we can solve this problem before you part with money to PC World!!

Sifi

Posted: 2005-11-24 14:54

Hi HerbalGerbal

Did you manage to speak to him

Sifi

herbalgerbal

Posted: 2005-11-25 15:55

Sifi,

Ok i spoke to my friend and he said that the problem i had was that my hard drive jumpers were incorrectly set, obviously this may not help you if you havn't replaced your hard drive but its all i can offer in the way of help, my friend fixes lots of pc's and cant remember too much detail other than the jumper episode, hope you find out how to fix the problem, and i would be very interested in knowing how myself, i wonder if you could let me know once you have done it, you got my user name.......

good luck

Sifi

Posted: 2006-05-02 17:06

Hi guys tought i'd let you know how i done the recovery

lost website so couldn't remember it when formatted
    last year

1.) turn off pcv-rx406
    2.) carefully pull out ide cable from hdd only
    3.) try recovery disk it will go through motions then tell you there isn't a hdd connected.
    4.) hold down the blue button to turn off computer do not press enter or it will not work.
    5.) reconnect ide cable turn on pcv-rx406 again and it will now recover.

Took me ages to figure it out i know it doesn't make any sense but it works i've done it 3 times now.

Sifi

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-05-02 23:17

Sifi,

I have never heard of using this method to do the recovery but even if it is unorthodox, it works, and thats what counts. Thanks for taking the time to post back you discovery. Hopefully it will save someone else the time it took you to figure it out. Nice job.

Joe

ryan2009

Posted: 2009-09-22 02:36

Thank you for the post, it does work ! However i created new problem when i get the recovery cd stage and the mouse was not connected. i turned off the computer using the blue botton and repeated the steps but could not get the recovery cd to work. what do you think i should do , i'm really disappointed that i got this close the could not recover my pc.
    your help is truly appreciated.

ryan2009

Posted: 2009-09-23 23:30

Sifi,
    can you offer any help to solve my problem ? i belive something wrong happend when i reached to teh Recovery level and powered off using blue botton without completing the setup. i can't get it to work again.
    please advise.
    thanks

Sifi

Posted: 2009-10-12 15:14

Hey Ryan

Listen mate the best thing to do is get yr hands on a disk of windows xp (Make sure it's a genuine microsoft certified ) cause it doesnt put as much unused system programs clogging up the memory as when you use the recovery disks. Hope this is of help . Obviously be carefull you dont delete the D: and you can save all of you photo;s vids and music onto that one.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.