Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:186
    Members:0
    Total of:186 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Troubleshooting

Grand wega stand by light flashes 20 times, then turns off. Dashboard
    Replies: 9 | Views: 3,670
    Last Reply: May 31, 2009, 6:58 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | junglehummer | drbodin | RobertM |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Grand wega stand by light flashes 20 times, then turns off.
    junglehummer

Posted: 2005-11-13 14:13

hello, my grand wega kf-60xbr800 is turning itself off, then 20 or more flashes of the stand by light, you then hear a breaker or clicking noise and it turns back on.  could a bad lamp cause the stand by light to flash? or does the lamp light only indicate a bad lamp?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-11-15 18:19

No, a bad lamp shouldn't cause the standby lamp to flash.  Yes, the lamp light only indicates a bad lamp.  Twenty flashes of the standby lamp isn't a valid self diagnois code.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

drbodin

Posted: 2006-01-18 13:43

We have a KF50XBR800 and we just experienced this same problem last week -Jan 11. We purchased the TV August 2004. We have not had any problems. Anyone have an information what could cause this? We have the extended warrenty. And a Tech came out and was befuddled. He ordered a new lamp and ballis (sp?).

I'm not sure exactly how many times the Standby light blinks but it is at least 10. It will power down, click and the cycle back on by itself. The stay on for maybe 2 - 3 minutes and do the same thing.

Thanks in advance.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-01-18 15:24

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Its probably the lamp.  If you haven't tried replacing it, do so.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

drbodin

Posted: 2006-02-11 18:07

Thank you John,
    We had our bulb and ballast replaced and all is working fine now.

TO NOTE HOWEVER:
    We bought the TV through Tweeter Electronics and this was covered under the extended warrenty but, it took them a month to finally get the work done. We missed the superbowl on the big screen because they let the bulb order slip through the cracks!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-02-12 14:59

I'll bet that you appreciated that!  I am now going downstairs to watch the Olympics for a few hours on my trusty KV-36XBR450.

-----------------
    -John

RobertM

Posted: 2009-05-27 00:07

I have the same problem with my Sony KF-60XBR800. The set turns on, and then after a couple of minutes, it seems to power cycle. Then the "stand-by" lamp flashes for a bit and the picture comes back on.

The same "stand-by" light flashing would occur normally if you were to turn the set off, and then immediately turn it back on. It normally will wait a minute before the picture will display. This is what leads me to believe it is something overheating, a relay tripping, or a breaker popping and resetting.

Also, the picture is clear and bright when it is on, so it is hard to believe it is the projection lamp. Can someone please explain how the lamp could be creating this power cycling condition? i don't have the money to spend on a new lamp unless I am reasonably sure that will fix the problem.

Also, if I sign up for premium membership, can I get the service manual for this television?

Please help!

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-27 16:55

"Bright" is relative.  If you have never replaced the lamp before, I would suggest replacing it now.  As the lamp ages, it presents more of a load on the lamp driver.  Eventually, the lamp driver is unable to keep the lamp lit continuously and the lamps cycles on and off.

RobertM

Posted: 2009-05-27 17:06

Thank you. It is important for me to understand the cause of the symptom, and not just replace parts. Do you think that there is an advantage (other than simplicity) to replacing the entire lamp housing, or will replacing just the lamp itself solve the problem?

I just sent a slightly longer version of my question via contact form, also asking whether I can still get the service manual and Document package you had put together for premium members?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2009-05-31 18:58

The advantage of purchasing and installing a genuine lamp assembly from Sony is that there is less of a chance that it won't work properly after it is installed.

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.