Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:165
    Members:0
    Total of:165 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

New KV-36HS20 - What should I change? Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 2,995
    Last Reply: March 2, 2004, 10:47 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    ciper | jmick | banda | DoubleDown11 | dakota_tech | boss_frog |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author New KV-36HS20 - What should I change?
    jmick

Posted: 2001-11-26 16:38

Hey all,

I just purchased a KV-36HS20 and I am wondering if you all have a set of things that I should change right away. I have ordered the service manual, should be here soon. So, are there a number of things that I should change/fix? Thanks.

ciper

Posted: 2001-11-27 17:39

Dont use vivid mode
    Turn the sharpness down to 1/3
    Turn off svm
    Set axis=1
    Use pro mode for dvd viewing
    Use the neutral color temp
    Leave hue and chroma in the middle

DoubleDown11

Posted: 2001-12-10 10:41

This is my first post in this excellent forum!
    I also own a 36HS20, and somewhat disagree with Cipher, no offense.
    I always use the Vivid mode,
    HAve my chroma in the middle but the hue a couple clicks to the right.
    HAve Vscan on high
    And never use pro mode.
    But I do have it on neutral color temp.

I guess it is just personal preference. And what you have hooked up to it.

banda

Posted: 2001-12-10 16:16

Quote:

On 2001-12-10 10:41, DoubleDown11 wrote:

I always use the Vivid mode,

I can only assume one of two things:
    You suffer from cataracts -or-
    You are viewing your television in a harshly lit environment, like the surface of the sun, perhaps.

Serioiusly, give PRO mode a try for a day or two. It will seem too dark at first, but once you get used to it, you'll be able to pick out much more detail in the picture. You won't regret it.

DoubleDown11

Posted: 2001-12-11 13:34

I guess I live on the sun because I just had my eyes checked. I cannot see anything in pro mode because everything is so flipping dark. Like I stated before personal preference, I like it brighter than most I guess.

ciper

Posted: 2001-12-11 14:14

DoubleDown11:This morning im a little grouchy so knowing this Ill try not to attack you.

Your personal preference is fairly messed up. Im not sure where to start in explaining to you why I (and everyone else who reads this) will feel this way.

From a straight technical standpoint the lowest level of black you can acheive with your settings is far above what it should be. Anything that is meant to be a shadow or dark area will become grey. You are actually limiting the range the set can display.

The sharpness level that is active on the vivid mode is very high, so much that a large amount of halos are added to all surfaces. There is also vertical and horizontal sharpness settings that are very high by default for this mode that make it even worse. You are adding information to the picture that was NOT originally there.

Vscan on high is not very smart either. You are changing the shape of objects on the screen depending on what is next to them. If you were to view a screen full of perfect geometric shapes (like maybe some of Geigers work) you would understand how this screws up the image. A good example that most people can view (test images on ve or avia) is a checkerboard pattern. When the svm is enabled/disabled you will see the sqaures no longer match up the way they should.

The picture level you have the tv at will greatly reduce its lifespan. Id be willing to wager large sums of money that in 5 years my set will output far more light than yours.
    Related to this would be 16:9 viewing. If you regularly watch dvds you will age the middle of the screen far faster than the rest.

Have you ever watched a widescreen movie with v compression enabled and noticed that the upper most portion of the screen is darker than the area about 3/4 inch tall above the movie? Kind of a double black bar? These areas should match. When v compression is enabled you no longer draw an image on the upper portion of the screen, so your INCORRECT brightness settings dont come into play. However if the movie was in an aspect ratio that is wider than 16:9 you will have additional black bars. Since these bars are on the "film" your incorrect brightness settings are active. You end up with two different color black bars.

I can understand that sometimes dependant on lighting conditions a higher amount of brightness is needed. This is where I suggest to you to really get a quality image from your tv by using some type of calibration tool. The always popular Avia or VE dvds among others will help. You could adjust one mode for night time viewing and one for daytime. Ive done this myself and it helps. First I entered service mode and made all the video modes match each other (regarding picture levels and such). Then in the user mode I adjusted one for the daytime with high brightness. This is whats used most of the time (especially when my wife is watching). Then I adjusted another one for when its movie time and the room lighting is controlled.

I will assume that you have veiwed badly calibrated displays your whole life and because of this you beleive it is the norm. It may be too much for you to readjust your tv all at once to the "propper" settings. Understand that when I say propper I dont mean it has to be an exact specific output.

I beleive every tv should be set to the picture settings to provide a "true to source display" then slightly tweaked for the users personal preference. I run the contrast a little higher than most would but this is in the degree of maybe 4 clicks.

Im surprised that no one else jumped on this post. Maybe too hot of a topic?

[ This message was edited by: ciper on 2001-12-11 14:18 ]

DoubleDown11

Posted: 2001-12-11 15:45

Interesting post to say the least.

I am not defending my personal preference at all. I know it is messed up to like it so bright.

I do have the AVia DVD and have my white scale and black scale turned drastically down from what the factory setting was.

As far as going into a service menu, I am not that talented, nor risque to screw up my set. I do appreciate the fact that I am already doing this watching vivid mode.

I did not realize this was such a hot topic like I am "sacreligous" to actually "like" Vivid mode. It is my personal preference and I admit it is against the overall viewpoint of this board.

I do not notice anything out of the ordinary when watching Widescreen DVD movies nor do I notice any Bowing of the bottom screen when watching sportscenter on ESPN. I guess this is what makes me a novice and not an affecionado.

I realize I will be ridiculed for this post, but oh well, it makes for an interesting read. So much for feeling welcomed.

I guess I will just READ posts in the future and not offer up a contrary opinion.

[ This message was edited by: DoubleDown11 on 2001-12-11 15:53 ]

ciper

Posted: 2001-12-11 22:48

Dont get turned off, I was trying to explain to you why the settings you have for the tv would not produce the best image. I was being honest when I said I was grouchy, so I tried not to have too much personal opinion in my post.

If anything, at least you could adjust the pro mode for when you want to turn down the lights and watch a dvd. But still use vivid mode for your normal OTA viewing.

DoubleDown11

Posted: 2001-12-13 14:18

Quote:

On 2001-12-11 22:48, ciper wrote:
    Dont get turned off, I was trying to explain to you why the settings you have for the tv would not produce the best image. I was being honest when I said I was grouchy, so I tried not to have too much personal opinion in my post.

I am not at all turned off, if it was not for this witful banter all of us still would be watching Black and white TV's. Seriously, Thank you for the constructive criticism. Just know me from now on as the "devil's advocate" providing a different opinion.

boss_frog

Posted: 2004-03-02 10:12

Well, that's your prerogative, but don't be too upset when your colors are all washed out and everything has a blue haze to it in a few short years.  You're going to be buying a new TV before you know it, sorry to say.  By watching on vivid all the time, you'll shorten the life of your set by 30-50%.

dakota_tech

Posted: 2004-03-02 10:47

This is a perfect example of what we find everyday in our customers homes. To each his own! We all see things differently. What apears slightly greenish to me, looks slightly redish to the customer, or blueish to another tech in the shop. If you are happy with the picture, don't change a thing. Don't feel that you must change something. Or that you are missing out on a better picture. On a regular basis we have customers who have just bought a new set, and complain about the picture not looking right. We arrive and find nothing wrong with the picture. When we ask to see their old set, we find a weak, off color picture. And that's what they are used to and the new set just doesn't look right. If you read the postings here, you would think that Sony doesn't adjust the sets properly before they leave the factory. But the type of people posting here tend to be technical perfectionists. If they were to see the vast range of sets in the market place, they would quickly shift their views.

Sony has one of the best pictures. (right out of the box)

Sony has the most features. (sometimes a problem itself)

Sony has one of the best support networks.

This is why most people here have bought them.
    How many of the wives feel the picture needs tweeking? It's like I always come back to. Try watching the program more and the TV less.

Dakota

-----------------
    http://www.fixyourowntv.com

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.