Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:172
    Members:0
    Total of:172 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » DVD

sony RDR-HX900 Hard disc Dashboard
    Replies: 15 | Views: 12,994
    Last Reply: July 6, 2007, 3:26 am

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    guest | jttar | jehill | Mr_Mod | bmrti | pvrnut | CraigR | danb121 | gogos | Wurf |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author sony RDR-HX900 Hard disc
    Mr_Mod
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-06-14 09:05

I am trying to figure out if anyone else has tried to change there hard disc to a larger capacity drive.
    Last night i was bored and had run out of disc space so i placed a new 250Gb drive into the HX900 and entered the diagnostics mode and  initilised the new drive, but all i get when i reboot the machine is "HDD Error" .
    From examining the service manuals i can only determine that the HX1000 has a nother part number for the RD50 main board. The scematics dont appear to be different although Sony does not give PCB overlays for these players.

So all i can guess is that the following is required to support larger drives.

1: Firmware change?
    2: resitor settings on the board?

I have a firmware file which i will look at to see if that has the seagate drive in there.

But has anyone succeeded in doing a HD upgrade

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-06-14 21:53

Mr_Mod,

Very interesting experiment which I hope you can get to fly. I'm wondering if you could connect the original HD from your RDR-HX900 (as a slave) to your computer and then read it to find out if there is a certain file structure that is needed for the recorder to recognize the drive. I know that your not going to give up easy so please keep us updated.

Joe

Mr_Mod
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-06-15 10:11

Update
    I have played around again tonite and have had this result.
    The WD 250Gb drive is now accepted by the recorder, however it only registers as a 160GB so i guess it must be firmware limited

-----------------
    Signature

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-06-15 13:50

I imagine that you tried formatting the drive using the RDR-HX900 format function, right?  That's probably what imposed the 160 GB limit.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

bmrti

Posted: 2005-11-03 18:21

Will any size drive work in the RDR-HX900?
    Mine came with a 160GB Maxtor drive. It is defective now.
    Will a lesser drive work at all? 
    Does anything special have to be done or installed/copied to the drive when replaced other than formatting it?

Anyone????

Posted: 2006-11-09 13:17

Did anyone try to make a ghost image of the old 160GB drive and then to upload this image to a new drive?

Posted: 2006-11-09 13:56

Another way - to use a 250GB hard drive and firmware from the RDR HX-1000.

Mr_Mod
    Premium Member

Posted: 2006-11-09 19:10

The firmware foe the 900 and the 1000 is exactley the same, so there is something on board that is set to determine the actual model. It could be a resistor like what they used in the past to determine models and area where the product was told.
    The same firmware principle is used on all there models, ie one firmware for each different series of models.

pvrnut

Posted: 2006-11-24 23:38

Not sure about the first question-probably yes, but it will likely only format 160 MB of the drive, so using a larger drive would be a waste.

For answer to your second question: See my post here:
    www.agoraquest.com/viewtopic.php?topic=26679&forum=50

Let us know how this works out for you.

pvrnut

On 2005-11-03 18:21, bmrti wrote:
    Will any size drive work in the RDR-HX900?
    Mine came with a 160GB Maxtor drive. It is defective now.
    Will a lesser drive work at all? 
    Does anything special have to be done or installed/copied to the drive when replaced other than formatting it?

Anyone????

CraigR

Posted: 2007-02-18 09:32

I have successfully replaced a failed hard drive in one of my RDR-HX900's, thanks to information I found on various forums.

One day the drive started making loud clicking noises, and "HDD ERROR" was flashing on the front panel. I tried rebooting and reformatting as instructed in the user manual, but that didn't help.

I tried calling Sony Support. Got a clueless guy in India that was obviously reading from a script. He was of no help, except to confirm what it said on the Sony website, which is that I had to ship it to Texas for service. No place locally would handle it.

Since it was out of warranty anyway, I decided to open it up and see how difficult it would be to replace the drive myself. It was right on top and came out easily with a screwdriver (although the data cable was taped to the top of it, so I carefully untaped it).

I bought a replacement drive at CompUSA as close as possible -- same manufacturer (Western Digital), same specs (ATA 100, 7200 RPM). Put it in and reformatted by holding down the HDD button on the front panel. Reformatted okay, but upon reboot it was still flashing "HDD ERROR".

I then found on another forum how to enter "Service Mode". Did that, and used the "Format" option from Service Mode, and then told it to write the ID to the disk. (Apparently it checks a location on the disk for the ID of the recorder.). This solved it, the new drive now works.

[A side note. Once I got it working, I found that all the old recordings scheduled, all options, and even some of the TV Guide programming was still there. So obviously it most have some other non-volatile memory in there, since apparently it doesn't use the hard drive to store that information.]

Since there was only a small cost differential, I bought a bigger disk (320GB) than the original (160GB), hoping it would just automatically use the extra space. However, as others have noted, it doesn't recognize the bigger size and still uses only 160GB. In my research I found that Sony, before aparently abandoning the DVR market, released models HX915, HX1000, and HX1010 outside of the U.S. with bigger drives (up to 400GB), so I'm guessing there's probably some way to tell it to use the larger drive.

If anyone figures out how to get it to recognize the extra disk space, I'd love to hear it. However, I'm happy just to have this unit working again.

gogos

Posted: 2007-03-21 11:51

• Member Quote

On 2007-02-18 09:32, CraigR wrote:
    I have successfully replaced a failed hard drive in one of my RDR-HX900's, thanks to information I found on various forums.

One day the drive started making loud clicking noises, and "HDD ERROR" was flashing on the front panel. I tried rebooting and reformatting as instructed in the user manual, but that didn't help.

I tried calling Sony Support. Got a clueless guy in India that was obviously reading from a script. He was of no help, except to confirm what it said on the Sony website, which is that I had to ship it to Texas for service. No place locally would handle it.

Since it was out of warranty anyway, I decided to open it up and see how difficult it would be to replace the drive myself. It was right on top and came out easily with a screwdriver (although the data cable was taped to the top of it, so I carefully untaped it).

I bought a replacement drive at CompUSA as close as possible -- same manufacturer (Western Digital), same specs (ATA 100, 7200 RPM). Put it in and reformatted by holding down the HDD button on the front panel. Reformatted okay, but upon reboot it was still flashing "HDD ERROR".

I then found on another forum how to enter "Service Mode". Did that, and used the "Format" option from Service Mode, and then told it to write the ID to the disk. (Apparently it checks a location on the disk for the ID of the recorder.). This solved it, the new drive now works.

[A side note. Once I got it working, I found that all the old recordings scheduled, all options, and even some of the TV Guide programming was still there. So obviously it most have some other non-volatile memory in there, since apparently it doesn't use the hard drive to store that information.]

Since there was only a small cost differential, I bought a bigger disk (320GB) than the original (160GB), hoping it would just automatically use the extra space. However, as others have noted, it doesn't recognize the bigger size and still uses only 160GB. In my research I found that Sony, before aparently abandoning the DVR market, released models HX915, HX1000, and HX1010 outside of the U.S. with bigger drives (up to 400GB), so I'm guessing there's probably some way to tell it to use the larger drive.

If anyone figures out how to get it to recognize the extra disk space, I'd love to hear it. However, I'm happy just to have this unit working again.

please tell me the method to go on service mode on sony. i have the rdr-hx 1000 and hdd error and replace the hdd but no correct format.i hope the service mode format is best solution.
    thanks

danb121

Posted: 2007-03-23 17:07

The problem isn't the type of format that you perform it is the fact that the Drive ID needs to be written to the eeprom on the recorder as the machine compares the HDD ID stored in memory to the HDD current ID and if there is a mismatch you will get 'HDD Error'. Unfortunately the only way I found to write a new ID was to go into service mode but I didn't seem to get a reply from this site when I asked about service mode on the RDR-HX510. I eventually had to order a service manual from Sony (the company I work for has an ibiss account). I don’t know if it will be the same procedure for going into service mode no your DVD recorder though?

Sorry that I could be of more help.

[ This message was edited by: danb121 on 2007-03-23 17:08 ]

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2007-03-24 15:31

To get into the service mode on the RDR-HX900, you need to have a monitor connected to the VIDEO OUT (L2 OUT).  Then,

1.  WELCOME should appear.

2.  Hold down REC PAUSE, SYSTEM MENU and TOOLS keys on the main unit (about 10 seconds) until the screen appears.

3.  Either OK or NG should appear while diagnostices is in progress.  Use the keys on the fron panel of the main unit to oerate the diagnostics.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

danb121

Posted: 2007-06-14 04:56

Hi Jehill

Would you know how to get into service mode on a HXD860, I need to replace the HDD?!

Thanks

Dan

Wurf

Posted: 2007-07-04 08:22

My HX510 started dispaying "HDD Error" last night. Tried the suggestions in the user manual - no improvement. Took the HDD out to give it a shake - no improvement.

Found the service mode as follows:

Connect the tv via the Video Out 2 plug.

Hold down the power button for about ten seconds until the WELCOME message appears then hold down the REC, REC STOP, REC PAUSE keys for another ten seconds or so. I used the ones on the front of the recorder, don't know if the ones on the remote will work the same.

A "S" will appear in the recorder display and the service mode screen appears on the tv screen. Tried accessing the HDD through the service mode but it confirmed the HDD was faulty.

Was just going to buy a new HDD and was considering a bigger one as they are getting so cheap. Interested to see the comments about the recorder only seeing the first 160GB. I wonder if mine will see more than the original 80GB if I put a bigger one in. I think I'll stick to the original spec to see if I can ressurrect it for now.

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.