Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:230
    Members:1
    Total of:231 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP2.9 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Brightness difference, DVI vs Component on KV34XBR910 Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 1,398
    Last Reply: June 4, 2005, 9:27 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    rjih | jehill | andyross | SummitHDTV | kentech |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Brightness difference, DVI vs Component on KV34XBR910
    rjih

Posted: 2005-06-03 08:52

I have noticed that when using the DVI input the displayed brightness of the picture is significantly higher than with component cables. The comparison was made using the DVI and component outputs on a Dish Network DVR921 and a LG LST4200A HD tuner. Different DVI and component cables were tested and the results were the same. There are no separate adjustments for DVI (Video7) and Component (Video 5 & 6) in the user menu.

Does anyone know if there is a separate adjustment in the service menu that would allow me to reduce the brightness only on the DVI input?

andyross

Posted: 2005-06-03 17:01

There are separate sub-adjustments in the service menu.

2170P-3/UBOF is brightness (black-level) and is separate for different video modes (480i, 480p, etc..), in addition to inputs (sorted RF, Vid1-4, Vid5-6, DVI, MemStick) It is further broken down by picture mode (Vivid, Standard, Movie, Pro). This is an 'offset' adjustment, allowing you to fine tune. It doesn't offer alot of adjustment. UCOF and UHOF are related Color and Hue offsets.

2170P-4/SPIC is Picture (white level) offset. It's only set per input as above (I think all 480i may use the same setting), not per video/picture mode. There is also SCOL and SHUE, which allow you to adjust color and hue per input, without all the super-fine tuning in 2170P-3.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

kentech

Posted: 2005-06-03 20:58

• Member Quote

On 2005-06-03 17:01, andyross wrote:
    2170P-4/SPIC is Picture (white level) offset. It's only set per input as above (I think all 480i may use the same setting), not per video/picture mode. There is also SCOL and SHUE, which allow you to adjust color and hue per input, without all the super-fine tuning in 2170P-3.

rjih: by "brightness" I assume you mean the total picture brightness (what is varied by the Picture slider, not the Brightness slider), not just black level.

It seems to me that 2170P-4 #1 SPIC might be the best place to start, as it neatly isolates HDMI from other input sources (MS/Tuner, component, and DRC-processed sources). If the implication of its name is correct (sub-Picture), then it uniquely adjusts the video gain for that input, modifying the scope of the Picture slider. The brightness offset adjustment in 2170P-3 #13 UBOF shold be avoided unless it's the *black level* you wish to adjust; it doesn't affect Picture (how bright the whites are).

(Note: I haven't had to do this yet.)

Don't switch to a different input after making an SPIC change without first saving the setting, as you may lose the setting. That's usually what happens when you switch "columns" in the service-data table, here one column representing one input-type.

-----------------
    KenTech

rjih

Posted: 2005-06-04 09:40

Thanks for the information. I decreased 2170P-3/UBOF from 1 to 0 and increased 2170P-4/SPIC from 7 to 10.

There was an ISF calibration done on the set shortly after purhase. At the time all of my devices used component connections and those are the inputs the technician used for the calibration. I wonder if that is what created the disparity between Component and DVI.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-06-04 14:38

That would be a resonable assumption.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

SummitHDTV

Posted: 2005-06-04 21:27

On 2005-06-04 09:40, rjih wrote:
    Thanks for the information. I decreased 2170P-3/UBOF from 1 to 0 and increased 2170P-4/SPIC from 7 to 10.

There was an ISF calibration done on the set shortly after purhase. At the time all of my devices used component connections and those are the inputs the technician used for the calibration. I wonder if that is what created the disparity between Component and DVI.

Since you were only using component video at the time of the ISF calibation, the tech likely didn't calibrate the DVI input.  The disparity was created OOB by Sony.  It's knowledgeable users and ISF Techs that calibrate all the used inputs. 

Although I own a different Sony set, there was a huge difference in the user controls (brightness, contast, color, etc) between component video and DVI.

-----------------
    Summit HDTV
    Virtual Business Card
    ISF Trained
    CA-6X color analyzer
    VP-403 HD generator
    TVS Pro optical comparator

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.