Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:197
    Members:1
    Total of:198 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire82 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

KV-32FS320 and 16:9 enhanced questions Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 1,335
    Last Reply: May 12, 2005, 4:53 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jehill | audispartan |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author KV-32FS320 and 16:9 enhanced questions
    audispartan

Posted: 2005-05-09 13:45

Greetings! Great site here. I am new to the Sony TV experience....well, sort of. My first new Sony that I just bought is a KV-32FS320. I have had a hand-me-down 27" Trinitron that is close to 15 years old (great picture, still). Anyway, here are some general questions I had regarding my new set, the KV-32FS320 (traditional non-HD set):

General questions:
    1. Does the 16:9 enhanced feature only work with component connections? Or do other connections work with it as well. Currently have a DVD (component, and 16:9e looks awesome), RCA Directv (S-video), and vcr (composite connection).

2. Are there any hazards to using the 16:9 enhanced mode? More screen wear?

3. What is the total lines of resolution in the 16:9 enhanced mode?

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.....

audispartan

Posted: 2005-05-09 16:16

Another question:
    4. Will a progressive or upconverting DVD player change or improve the picture when using 16:9enhanced, at least compared to a traditional standard DVD player?

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-09 16:19

My answers are in magenta below and are correct, to the best of my knowledge:

On 2005-05-09 13:45, audispartan wrote:
    General questions:
    1. Does the 16:9 enhanced feature only work with component connections? Or do other connections work with it as well. Currently have a DVD (component, and 16:9e looks awesome), RCA Directv (S-video), and vcr (composite connection).  That's a good question!  Most likely, the answer is "Yes".

2. Are there any hazards to using the 16:9 enhanced mode? More screen wear?  Not if you keep the PICTURE aand BRIGTHNESS settings down at reasonalby levels.  I have had my 36XBR450 for nearly three years, watching HDTV daily.  There is no trace of a problem.

3. What is the total lines of resolution in the 16:9 enhanced mode?  480p for a progressive input from a DVD player, 960i for a standard 480i source and 1080i from a HDTV source.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

audispartan

Posted: 2005-05-09 17:17

• Member Quote

On 2005-05-09 16:19, jehill wrote:
    My answers are in magenta below and are correct, to the best of my knowledge:

On 2005-05-09 13:45, audispartan wrote:
    General questions:
    1. Does the 16:9 enhanced feature only work with component connections? Or do other connections work with it as well. Currently have a DVD (component, and 16:9e looks awesome), RCA Directv (S-video), and vcr (composite connection). That's a good question! Most likely, the answer is "Yes".

2. Are there any hazards to using the 16:9 enhanced mode? More screen wear? Not if you keep the PICTURE aand BRIGTHNESS settings down at reasonalby levels. I have had my 36XBR450 for nearly three years, watching HDTV daily. There is no trace of a problem.

3. What is the total lines of resolution in the 16:9 enhanced mode? 480p for a progressive input from a DVD player, 960i for a standard 480i source and 1080i from a HDTV source.

Thank you for the response! Remember, though, that I have a standard NTSC tv, not HD. Do most of these answers still hold true?
    Also, I am keeping my brightness setting, etc. to "standard" level. Not using the Sony Vivid picture, etc...so I hope I am safe.

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-10 16:24

On 2005-05-09 17:17, audispartan wrote:
    3. What is the total lines of resolution in the 16:9 enhanced mode? 480p for a progressive input from a DVD player, 960i for a standard 480i source and 1080i from a HDTV source.

Whoops!  I should have downloaded the manual for your TV first!.  I see that the component video input only accepts a 480i input.  It will not accept a 480p or 1080i input.  The 16:9 enhanced feature simply compresses the video vertically to fit in a 16:9 window with black bars above and below.  The number of lines displayed is always 480.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

audispartan

Posted: 2005-05-11 16:46

So I guess my next questions are whether a progressive scan DVD would work with this NTSC tv and the 16:9 enhance mode? Also, is there a marked difference between a Directv receiver using S-video versus component, and is it worth it?
    thanks in advance...

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-12 16:53

You cannot use a progressive scan DVD player with your TV; however, the standard 480i output will work just fine in the 16:9 Enhanced mode, providing that the DVD played is anamorphic (stretched vertically).

-----------------
    -John

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.