Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:196
    Members:0
    Total of:196 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Finally "fine tuned" my KDF50WE655! Dashboard
    Replies: 10 | Views: 3,140
    Last Reply: April 29, 2005, 8:17 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | jehill | andyross | KATZ | Zman | BassMiesterNJ |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Finally "fine tuned" my KDF50WE655!
    KATZ

Posted: 2005-04-20 19:23

I've had my 50" Grand Vega, (I know it's spelled with a "W" but to me that's just dumb) since last October. I had been using the "VIVID" mode toned down with the Digital Video Essentials and Sound And Vision dics. While the picture was great, it bothered me that tests in S&V, HT, and TPV magazines have said that with various Sony models that the picture is, (usually), very close to "recognized spec" (6500k), when they used the "PRO" mode for evaluations. After reading yet another review again mentioning the "PRO" mode as being very accurate, I decided to sit down and tweak and re-tweak in this mode using DVE.
    I played with every option over and over for more than an hour! After deciding that I had gotten it as good as I could, I then sat down to a viewing of DVD's that I own that have been mentioned in reviews I've read.
    HOLY CRAP! This tv looks as good, (only bigger), as the 40" XBR that I had professionally calibrated a couple of years ago! (I finally had to get rid of the 40 incher because of the color purity problems that drove me nuts). This 50" LCD is what Sony gave me an even trade for after much complaining about the XBR. Everything is "spot-on" as they say. First I watched "Spiderman 2". Absolutely fantastic! Next "The Fifth Element".
    I looked for all the things the experts say you should see when a tv is set to it's optimum. They all seemed to be there! Finally I viewed "Jurassic Park III", one of my favorites and the one the techs who calibrated the XBR watched after calibration. Perfect!
    I know the nay-sayers talk about the lack of black level in LCD's, but it sure seems like black is very close to black on this set now!
    For anyone who is interested, and/or has a Sony LCD, the following are my settings:
    Pro Mode, Picture: (white level), set at 42. Brightness: (black level), 49. Color: 18. Hue: 0. Sharpness: 29. Color Temperature: Warm.
    All picture enhancements:Off. DRC: Reality: 100, Clarity: 5. DCR Mode: High Density. Sets may vary, but give these settings a try. I am in "videophile heaven"!  KATZ  

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-20 21:59

KATZ,

Thanks for sharing your tweaking experience with DVE. Five months ago I spent an entire afternoon with my KDF-55WF655 and my Avia disc and I concure that these new Grand VVegas (Vega to you ) do a remarkable job with blacks when configured properly. I share your excitement in your new found picture. Not that any two sets are exactly alike but when I get some time I will compare your settings to mine just to see how close they are. Enjoy!

Joe

BassMiesterNJ

Posted: 2005-04-21 13:36

On 2005-04-20 19:23, KATZ wrote:
     Pro Mode, Picture: (white level), set at 42. Brightness: (black level), 49. Color: 18. Hue: 0. Sharpness: 29. Color Temperature: Warm.
    All picture enhancements:Off. DRC: Reality: 100, Clarity: 5. DCR Mode: High Density. Sets may vary, but give these settings a try. I am in "videophile heaven"!  KATZ  

Please clarify the DRC mode.

Is this only available when using your DVD input ?

It's greyed out on my KDF50WE655.

By the way, I agree about the pro mode for most situations., although I've toned down the standard mode to give me another option for some channels that appear too dark in pro.

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-21 17:27

DRC is typically only available on 480i sources. It will be disabled for 480p/720p/1080i.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

KATZ

Posted: 2005-04-21 19:59

Yes, as andyross replied, this is only for viewing DVD's! I also agree that you can "visually" adjust the Standard or even the Vivid mode to your liking for over the air, cable, or dish viewing. I use the Pro mode when watching HD over the air channels and adjust by eye. I don't believe there is DCR for that either. The PRO mode for standard broadcast does not look good at all on my set. It has a very blurry appearance. KATZ

Zman

Posted: 2005-04-22 00:12

This may be changing the subject, but I will say it anyway as it is something that has been bothering me since I got my Sony 55WF655 TV.

Isn't it too bad that cable and satellite do not have a channel that puts out the screens like DVE so that we could all properly adjust our TVs for those inputs as well. I would love to have some good adjustment screens to adjust my TV for my motorola 6412 HD receiver. In this world of Hi-def, would you not think it would be wise to have some kind of adjustments one could make for the boxes many of us watch more than our DVD player. 

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-22 10:42

Have you ever noticed the IEEE-1394 jack on the back?  You might check with your cable provider to see if it may be connected to a D-VHR.  If so, you may be able to playback the 720p and 1080i versions of the DVE which are on D-VHS tape.  The downside is that you would have to procure a D-VHS recorder.  A possibilty for the future would be an interactive web page at www.videoessentials.com accessible via the built-in internet connection (presently unused, to the best of my knownledge).  This would require cooperation between DVD and cable companies.  DVE would have to promote the idea.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-22 17:18

On 2005-04-22 00:12, Zman wrote:
    Isn't it too bad that cable and satellite do not have a channel that puts out the screens like DVE so that we could all properly adjust our TVs for those inputs as well. I would love to have some good adjustment screens to adjust my TV for my motorola 6412 HD receiver. In this world of Hi-def, would you not think it would be wise to have some kind of adjustments one could make for the boxes many of us watch more than our DVD player. 

If you have Cable, and get INHD, they have a program named 'TuneUp'. It airs Saturday mornings at 7:00am Eastern. It's listed at 30 minutes, but is actually only 15 minutes. Since you have a 6412, set up a MANUAL recording, with a length of 15 minutes. Set it to only delete when you manually delete it. That way, it will always be available, but take up little space.

The patterns are a black level setting, contrast setting, color bars, then finally overscan boxes (5% and 10%). All have a giant INHD logo in a circle in the center. The circle is nice to help double-check your aspect ratio if needed (2170D-1/ASPT).

I did notice one quirk. Some of the patterns, especially the 5% and 10% overscan box pattern, seem to be shifted to the left. I have my 1080i centered using the pillarboxes of several stations when they upconvert SD. If the pillarboxes are centered, the InHD pattern is shifted a bit left. 2170D-2/HPOS would be 30 for the InHD pattern, and is 32 for pillarboxes. (1080i has a separate HPOS memory than other modes.)

For satellite users, I've read that HDNet also has a set of patterns they run occasionally.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-23 12:00

Slight correction on the InHD Tune up info: There is a grid pattern after the color bars, before the overscan boxes. Also, after the video patterns is a basic 5.1 audio test (individual speaker locations.)

-----------------

Zman

Posted: 2005-04-25 09:32

Thanks for the INHD information. I have the program set to record. My picture looks good on the HD cable box, but just wanted to double check everything, especially overscan because when watching FOX HD, all I see on the fox logo is the top half of the F and the O and the top left 1/4 of the X.

KATZ

Posted: 2005-04-29 20:17

Just an update: I lowered my PICTURE setting to 31 and got an even better black level! I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the picture on this TV ROCKS! "Van Helsing", which has a very "brooding" look, is fantastic! "Finding Nemo", which has bright colors and scenery, along with darker "deep sea" scenes looks better than ever!!!!

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.