Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:186
    Members:1
    Total of:187 users
    MemberLogged
    dtimage7.7 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

format / 16.9 --HD Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,353
    Last Reply: April 19, 2005, 8:58 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    andyross | Zman | rockysv |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author format / 16.9 --HD
    rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-16 19:10

When the guy at Circut City , sold me my XBR 34 , he said that when the tv gets a HD feed it will fill the 16.9 screen--
    When i watch some HD over air shows it shows that it is 720p but i get the black bars on the sides --
    Why would a show be in 720p, and not full screen -- i also get some shows that are on the HD channel 2.2 that are shown in 480i
    Why would a 480i show be on the HD channels of the OTA--
    Thanks

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-17 09:09

Only TRUE HD will be widescreen. Alot of what is shown on HD off-the-air channels is upconverted 480i. It will typically be pillar-boxed to 4:3, as HD is inherently 16:9. Try and use the Wide Mode key. It should NOT work and will always display 'Full'. If it does work, you are actually getting a 480i or 480p signal.

For off-the-air, usually only the '.1' channels are HD. Any extra channels (.2, .3, etc..) are SD channels added on for multi-casting. Digital does NOT mean HD. Worse, many of the secondary channels are sub-VHS quality. Here in Chicago, the main broadcasters use it for weather or news repeats. One channel doesn't do HD at all, but has 6 SD channels with different feeds. In some areas, they can carry encrypted cable channels used by a special set-top box and a paid service.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-17 11:22

Thanks Andy -- it sure would be nice if they just put out 16.9 and be done with it ---

Zman

Posted: 2005-04-18 14:12

It looks like there are still lots of shows (especially non-prime-time) shows that are not shot in 16X9 HD. Plus, almost no commercials are shot in 16X9 HD, so even if you are watching say CSI, which is in HD, on CBS, you will notice it puts black bars on the sides when it switches to commercials. Also, when the news comes on, it is not in HD so the black bars will be there. As time passes and more shows are shot in HD this should change. But for now, if you are watching a rerun of Sinfield, it was not shot in 16X9 so it will never appear that way.

The good news is the upconverting equipment the stations use are very good and you usually get a nicer picture watching SD stuff on the HD channel than you do over the old analog channel.

One other thing I noticed in the Dallas area, none of the stations have the ability to overlay stuff on the HD network feed. Was watching an HD show on ABC the other night and one of those weather warnings came on. The screen switched to 4X3 until the warning quit scrolling on the bottom of the screen then switched back to 16X9 HD. That is really a joke. HD has a ways to go, but the picture quality makes you never want to watch SD again.

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-18 17:20

Here's a question: Here in Chicago, the ABC-owned station (WLS-TV, analog 7) STRETCHES SD material. The only time you see pillarboxing is on NETWORK-fed commercials on HD shows. Local commercials are always stretched. SD network shows are also shown stretched. It's very annoying seeing everybody look like Kirstie Alley. Luckily, I can at least watch the news in 4:3 on 7.2 (they just repeat it all day, or live for new broadcasts.) Being Disney-owned, I'm not surprised, as this is the company that calls full-screen material 'family friendly.'

Any other stations out there with hideous stretching of SD material?

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-18 20:25

I was just going to ask if they could upconvert all the old shows and reformat it to 16.9 -- but i guess that streched look could get bad on some stuf -- i find the zoom gives me the best picture over the wide zoom on SD stuff - though it does crop some -- also when i switch my Direct Tv - i can't read the show name -- when i'm in zoom - so i set the default to wide zoom - and switch --
    A few times in HD i have seen shows that have black bars on the sides -and top / bottom what's up with that .
    Thanks Rocky

andyross

Posted: 2005-04-19 17:41

The pillar/letter-box combo is if they broadcast letterboxed SD material, but upconvert to HD.

-----------------

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-19 20:58

Thanks Andy
    Do you know why this won't just fill the screen ?

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.