Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:253
    Members:0
    Total of:253 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Poor picture xbr/960 Dashboard
    Replies: 20 | Views: 3,966
    Last Reply: April 14, 2005, 11:10 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    RCori | jttar | jon_s | dtayl | saholz | rockysv |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Poor picture xbr/960
    jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-11 23:07

Rocky,

It sounds like there is some crosstalk between inputs when you change from cable to satellite but I really don't know a solution. Perhaps other members will be of more help.

Joe

dtayl

Posted: 2005-04-12 14:11

Rocky,

I've experienced a similar issue with my XBR960.  Sometimes, after the tv is turned off while on an input other than the tuner(cable), it has trouble tuning in channels when I switch back to that input.  When this happens, turning the set off and back on solves the problem.  This doesn't happen all the time, just often enough to keep me on my toes.  The vhf/uhf input, which is connected to a Terk HDTVi indoor antenna doesn't seem suffer from this problem.

Regarding your original post:

My cable source is Comcast in Atlanta.  The SD channels, both analog and digital look excellent.  I guess it goes without saying...but I'll say it anyway-the HD channels, both OTA and the unscrambled ones via cable look incredible.  This tv replaced what I believe to be one of Sony's best ever- a KV32XBR55.  While I was unable to compare them side by side(the 55's tube crapped out-not sure of the exact problem, almost looks like the auto degauss failed but manual degaussing didn't fix!), the SD picture on the 960 looks as good as I remember from the 55's early days.  The Comcast feed runs through a high end amp(can't remember the brand-it's mounted outside and has been painted over!), and then to a Pananmax 1000+ with Comcast supplied RG6 cable.  From there the signal runs through a Monster 2GHZ 3-way splitter and to the TV with Monster M1000F coax.  I have the VM turned off, color temp set to neutral DRC set to interlaced and the DRC palette set to reality-25/clarity-1.  The standard adjustments are set to my eye and I have not touched the service menu(although I do plan on getting an ISF calibration soon).  Don't know if it's any help but, when I open the diagnostics page of the menu(menu/applications/diagnostics), the signal strengh is 33-35 and the agc is 20.

You didn't mention-how do the SD channels over cable look compared to the same ones from your satellite receiver?  Have you tried using composite RCA cables instead of S-video?  When you use an s-video cable, you use the comb filter in the receiver(sending unit) instead of the one in the TV(receiving unit).  While it is often stated incorrectly(even in the 960's manual!), there is no difference in resolution between composite and s-video.  The difference is in which device is used to separate color from detail in the signal (color purity) and is most noticed as dot crawl or moire(or their absence) on your screen.  Having said this, using the better comb filter to seperate luminance and chrominance will often result in a surprisingly better picture.  I saw this plenty of times when hooking up an inexpensive laserdisc player with a high end tv in the mid 90's.  I imagine the quality and performance of the components in the 960 exceeds that of the receiver and even the old Mits.  This will undoubtedly amplify any weak points in the system- connection, signal strength, source components, etc...

Lastly, you didn't mention what quality of cable you are using.  If you are using the "free" cables supplied with some equipment, this could be the culprit.  I'm sure you can search and find passionate claims on both sides of the cable debate and I don't feel like preaching to the converted or the un-convertable.  Having said that, video signals(as well as cable/satellite signals) benefit from a steady, specific resistance-75 ohms.  The free cables that manufacturers throw in are usually unshielded twisted tin or copper covered in plastic which can vary in resistance due to length, twists, turns, kinks, and poor construction.  A solid core, shielded 75 ohm coax cable with properly terminated ends will give you the best results. These can be composite(RCA) or S-video(actually 2-75 ohm runs).  If you have a coax digital audio cable from a respectable manufacturer, you can use this as a test before spending any money.  Then, take the free cables and put them where thay belong-in the tool box as tie downs!

Hope some of this helps.

Danny

-----------------
    KD34XBR960,KV32XBR55/13EXR90,SLVR5/R1000/N80/N81/D500P,MDP605,TCK890ES,CDPC7ESD, SRSD4K,PS2/X,CCDTRV70,EVC100,MDRCD850/E888/E484,SPPA2780/H273/SS965/320, XRC900/7500/7180/787R,XDP766EQ,CDXT68X/A15,XE90II/110,D10T/15/55/555,WMF2097/D6C,FDL320, RMK5U2/DM1K

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-12 18:50

Danny thanks
    you did give me a lot of things to look at, my SD picture looks worse from the Direct tv than the cable - though sometimes the cable gets fuzzy - and looks worse- i do plan on going first rate , at some point -- i just can't bring my self to shell out another grand on the HD recorder system from Direct Tv -- so i'm just trying to get what i have now working it's best -- i just ordered a Panasonic s97s Dvd player --it should be in- in a week or so -- my Sony dvd player s-330 has done well with my old 27" Mits -- it only has Svid-- and composit -- no progressive scan -- so when the Panasonic shows up i'll put the S-330 in the bedroom with the Mits -- and i'll have a great bedroom set up -- the Panasonic s97s had all the up to date stuff , and cost only $275.
    i have older Monster cables -- and i will get some new ones just to make sure -- do you have any advice on cables ??
    you guys have been a great help
    thanks Rocky
    Danny & Joe

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-12 23:18

Rocky,

Forum member md2002 gave a good review and improved his PQ with Blue Jean brand cables.  HERE is his review. If you do a search on the internet for Blue Jean cable you will find countless others who have been pleased with the company and their cables. They could prove to be a good replacement for your old Mon$ter cables. THIS is a link to Blue Jean Cable.

Joe

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-13 20:03

Great Joe thanks for the link--
    My Tv was doing something strange -- as in one of my last post's -- when i switch between Cable and Direct Tv -- sometimes when i go back to Cable it gets fuzzy -- Danny said try turning the Tv off --then on again -- Guess what -- it cleared it up -- what's going on here ??

dtayl

Posted: 2005-04-14 23:10

No definitive answer here but I'm glad it's the only problem I have with my 2nd 960.  I got one the day the first shipment came into HiFi Buys(Tweeter in Atlanta) and after about 40 hours it died.  No picture, turned on for 30 sec. with misc lines on screen, long blinking led, shut itself down.  Well after 2 sad months of looking at my 200lb paper weight, they finally got the next shipment in.  While I did miss the olympics in HD, I was compensated with a TV manufactured 2 months later(August vs June) and hopefully out of range of whatever made my tv go dead.  Also of comfort was the fact that others that post on this forum had similar problems.  While the tuner issue is a little annoying(more for others using my set than me), I'll live with it as long as there are no other problems.  Plus, I do have an extended warranty for peace of mind. 

-----------------
    KD34XBR960,KV32XBR55/13EXR90,SLVR5/R1000/N80/N81/D500P,MDP605,TCK890ES,CDPC7ESD, SRSD4K,PS2/X,CCDTRV70,EVC100,MDRCD850/E888/E484,SPPA2780/H273/SS965/320, XRC900/7500/7180/787R,XDP766EQ,CDXT68X/A15,XE90II/110,D10T/15/55/555,WMF2097/D6C,FDL320, RMK5U2/DM1K

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 2
    1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.