Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:207
    Members:1
    Total of:208 users
    MemberLogged
    jttar0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Poor picture xbr/960 Dashboard
    Replies: 20 | Views: 3,957
    Last Reply: April 14, 2005, 11:10 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    RCori | jttar | jon_s | dtayl | saholz | rockysv |
    This thread topic spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Poor picture xbr/960
    rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-03 22:17

I'm having trouble coming to grips with the picture on my new 960-- i do intend to get HD Direct tv - and i do get a few over the air hd channels -- and they look very good--- my question has to do with my old Direct tv box -- using svid -- there is a lot of pixaltion -and the picture looks worse than my old Mits 27-- why wont this tv give me at least as good a picture as the 10 year old Mits -- using svid source--- and will the new HD Direct tv boxes give a better picture , when not viewing HD--
    are they 480p on the componet-- or 480i
    thanks

jon_s

Posted: 2005-04-04 01:17

Here is the issue, ALL HDTVs perform extremely poorly when viewing standard definition television. Although it does not seem logical, i have yet to see a regular signal comparable to what it would look like on an old television.

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-04 20:22

Thanks Jon
    i'm glad it's not just mine -- do you know if the new Sat Boxes are 480i or 480p on the non Hd sources -- and would that be a better picture , than a svid source ---

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-04 21:04

rockysv,

The satellite receiver's video prossesor does make a difference in the PQ of SD broadcasts. I have connected the the free RCA satellite receiver from DirecTV to my KDF-55WF655 and on some channels the SD picture is nothing short of terrible. However, hooking up my Sony HD300 receiver to the same TV, using the same cables give a very satisfactory picture on the same SD broadcasts. It all comes down to the signal that the TV receives.

Joe

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-05 19:41

Thanks Joe is the Sony hd 300 a sat box ?
    i need to get my info right -- i have see cable HD , and it looks good -- but the SD programing --looks real bad --can you recomend a few things i should look at -- thanks Rocky

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-05 20:46

Rocky,

Yes the Sony HD300 is a satellite receiver that has inputs from the satellite dish, cable and an OTA antenna and will incorporate all the channels into the same viewing guide. These receivers are a little difficult to find and cost around $700(US).
    You mention that you intend to get DirecTV, when you do they will supply you with a new receiver and it will have component outputs and probably HDMI/DVI also. Most of the time a pixaltion problem is caused by a weak or fading signal. Proper alignment of the dish for maximum signal and a newer satellite receiver will most likely improve the SD picture.
    When you do have DirecTV installed make sure that the PQ is satisfactory while the installer is still at your house. It is up to them to make sure that you are getting a decent picture even if that means running new R6 cable or trying a different receiver to do so.
    In the mean time, make sure that the R6 cable connections on your old DirecTV receiver are clean and tight and be suspicious of any signal splitters that you might be using. You can also clean and tighten the R6 cable at the LNB of you dish and make sure that the dish itself hasn't slipped a little and that you are getting a strong signal on the meter of your receiver. I hope any of this helps.

Joe

saholz

Posted: 2005-04-08 17:55

My Sony 42KDF-WE655 actually does quite well with SD material.  I have to leave it in its native 4:3 aspect ratio rather than playing with any of the stretch or zoom modes, and I leave all processing/noise reduction off.  My SD feed is off a DISH HD satellite receiver and comes in via a DVD/HDMI connection.  S-Video is not the best input you can use and that may be degrading the SD picture to some degree.

Some SD stations almost approach HD in quality, but others are rather poor.  There's not much you can do if the broadcast material is poor quality.  When you upgrade to an HD receiver and a DVI or HDMI connection, I'm sure your SD picture quality will improve.

RCori

Posted: 2005-04-08 21:16

I have the Hughes HD box, and most SD stations are very good---I also own the 960.

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-08 22:46

Thanks to you all , i'll try all of your ideas -- and when i switch over to the HD Sat / Sym i'll check back in .
    Rocky

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-08 23:14

Rocky,

What kind of deal is DirecTV offering you on the HD setup?

Joe

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-09 20:16

Joe i'm not sure -- but i think the run of the mill HD -- dish / box / install is $399
    but they have a HD recorder sys for $999 i'm not sure if it's worth the money-- you can get a HD VCR for $399 -- that will also play your old vcr tapes --i have a standard Direct tv system now -- so i'm sure i can install the dish my self, and i would like to get some input from the board on what Box will give me the best SD picture, since a lot of programing is still SD -- i have seen the HD cable in my area and it looks fine the SD cable does not --

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-09 21:32

Rocky,

As long as you are already a current subscriber and if your service contract (usually one or two years) is over, it might be worth a phone call to DirecTV and ask to speak to a "customer retention" representative. Explain to them what great deals Dish Network and Voom are offering on HD setups and how much you would like to stay with DirecTV if they could give you a deal on a HD system. Other forum members have had good results with this approach. If your service contract still hasn't been met time wise you won't have any leverage and will have to wait until it does.

Joe

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-10 19:47

Why thanks Joe
    i never even thought of that -- i have been happy with Direct Tv, for 4 plus years,so it's well worth the try ---
    thanks much
    Rocky

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-04-10 23:12

Rocky,

Your entirely welcome. It's worth a phone call to find out. Please let us know what happens when you decide to make the move to HD service. I have been with DirecTV for many years and I agree that the local cable company's picture can not come close, at least in my area.

Joe

rockysv

Posted: 2005-04-11 20:37

Joe i don't know if you can help with this or not - but i have the local basic cable running into my 960 , and the Direct tv going into another input -- some time when i switch back, and forth , the cable gets fuzzy -- and when i push the sat/cable button -- with the -ant- button it clears up -- i checked the cables -- there tight -- do you know if there is a right or wrong way to switch -- between the two--- thanks

This topic thread spans 2 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.