Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:235
    Members:1
    Total of:236 users
    MemberLogged
    jwakefield10.7 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index » » Television Configuration

Decoding the Service Codes 06 - Brightness Limiters Dashboard
    Replies: 0 | Views: 922
    Last Reply: April 3, 2005, 9:04 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    kentech |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Decoding the Service Codes 06 - Brightness Limiters
    kentech

Posted: 2005-04-03 21:04

Unlike many small and older large analog TVs, the image on these late-model Sony CRT-type TVs is not completely under control of the video signal. There is significant brightness limiting, some optional. (And the “Dynamic Picture Control” — brightness and contrast control — promoted by Sony is another story entirely! Another article.)

Imagine the following: You are watching a car commercial full-screen on SD in Pro mode. The car is nicely situated in a medium-bright outdoor scene beside a river. Brilliant highlights sparkle from the water, and there is a 100%-white sun-glint from the windshield. Gorgeous! Then, cut to a solid-white screen with the text “2.9% financing” in the middle. You will note that, no matter the picture mode, the white screen will be nowhere nearly as bright as that sun-glint, even though it may also be 100%-white video. And it’s not your eyes adjusting. It is especially apparent during kiddie cartoons, with their large areas of bright colors and white.

This is brightness-limiting. I was first appalled by it, having come from a 27” older TV with no limiting of any kind. But I have come to believe is a bit kinder to the eyes, especially if you like to watch bright video in evening living-room lighting. Those 100%-white screens would be blinding.

As an engineer myself, I imagine it may serve several purposes:

(1) It limits the CRT’s beam-current. My 36XS955 can be made incredibly bright, and that is a large beam-current for the poor electron-emitting cathodes and the 31.5 kV high-voltage supply to support. So it likely protects the tube and maybe other electronics.

(2) All that energy flung all at once at the aperture-grille causes it to warp or sag, and you start to get pink or green patches in the white areas. You can probably see this occasionally; I certainly do. This is probably the outer bounds of this CRT technology, and limiting this heating keeps folks from calling Sony to complain. Another CRT-protection feature, too.

(3) For aesthetics. The response of the limiter is very prompt, and I got used to it very quickly, even though I’m very picky. I don’t like being blinded, hate green/pink patches, and love the brilliant whites when they are small in area. I can live with it. Maybe Sony is just being kind!

I have not found a setting for this instantaneous brightness-limiting, and I’m tempted not to look for it. However, there are a couple of limiters that you do have access to:

2170P-4 #21 and 22, or 27 and 28, ABLM and ABLT. These act over a few seconds. ABLM (values from 0-3) is part of the BLK setting-complex (more another time) and mostly used with Vivid mode, probably to prevent excessive burn in dealer showrooms (my guess). ABLT has values from 0-15, and is set to 0 for “Others” and 7 for “Small Pic.” I’m not sure what qualifies for “small pic.” I want both at 0 for Pro mode.

Then there is 2170P-2 #4 YLMT, which seems to be a “white limit” clipping effect. YLMY = 3 is the highest level, which seems to have no effect. Lowering it to 1 or 0 causes immediate limiting of white. I haven’t tested to see if it’s a hard clip or not, in which case it would be ugly. Fortunately default on my set is 3, which means it’s not in use anyway.

I don’t know where else these limiters may be lurking in the service-code jungle. I see the 3DNR group has a CLPW and CLPP (#2, 3). Also 2170P-2 #7-9 are CLPP, CLPG, and CLPS, with columns for “Other” and “PT.” But maybe “CLP_” has nothing whatever to do with clipping.

Any suggestions are welcome. Maybe there is a setting for the seemingly-permanent brightness limiter. Maybe I would leave it alone if there were.

-----------------
    KenTech

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.