Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:168
    Members:1
    Total of:169 users
    MemberLogged
    eldo4720.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Ľ Ľ Television Configuration

Bad factory HD setup alert -- and a fix Dashboard
    Replies: 7 | Views: 1,722
    Last Reply: April 6, 2005, 2:06 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    ecreaden | kentech |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Bad factory HD setup alert -- and a fix
    kentech

Posted: 2005-03-30 19:51

On my 36XS955 I have been noticing a yellowish-greenish cast to dark colors on HD broadcasts. Then, having meticulously set up my black level on other inputs, I noticed that the off-black on HD was distinctly green! When programs faded to black, it wasnít black. Is it the TV or the broadcast?

So I tuned to a non-station in digital mode, a nonexistant ch 5.1. Now thereís no signal, but there is a background (increase Brightness slightly) ó and it wasnít black, but green.

I figured the color decoder for 1080i was doing this. Maybe there is a setting for dialing it in so itís correct. And there is!

In service-code group 2170P-1, use #2-4, YOF, CBOF, and CROF. Thatís luminance (or black) offset, blue offset, and red offset. Neutral (no effect) value is 31. Mine were around 44 to start with. YOF is 7 for no effect; mine was 10.

I cranked CBOF and CROF up to the vicinity of 52, and the background is now perfectly black! Your mileage may vary, of course, but take a look at the HD blacks on your set. Am I the only one with this problem?

(Those three codes have columns in the table for various inputs and video modes. When you adjust it for HD broadcasts, your other settings arenít affected.)

-----------------
    KenTech

ecreaden

Posted: 2005-04-04 13:35

Kentech,

Thanks for the post.  I have the same set and although I have not noticed this after calibrating with Video Essentials DVD, I will look again.

Curious how you got into the service menu?  Do you have a service manual you can email my way?  
    Thanks!

[ This message was edited by: ecreaden on 2005-04-05 16:43 ]

kentech

Posted: 2005-04-04 15:36

• Member Quote

On 2005-04-04 13:35, ecreaden wrote:
    Curious how you got into the service menu? Do you have a service manual you can email my way?

Please check out my previous posted articles entitled "Decoding the Service Codes," a series in this forum. There are references there to several sources for important charts and bits of service-code information.

The entire manual, BTW, is ~24MB and includes tons of schematics, block diagrams, and parts lists. Remarkably little describing the service codes -- just charts showing the essential relationships among them and the various TV modes and inputs, with default values for certain TVs. (The chart structures are common to *many* current models, however.)

Also check out my postings here:

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=ced7baecdf3cd845964a716cc343422a&threadid=509714&perpage=20&pagenumber=8

and in a couple other places under the "Direct-View Displays" category.

-----------------
    KenTech
    [ This message was edited by: kentech on 2005-04-04 15:38 ]

[ This message was edited by: kentech on 2005-04-04 15:40 ]

ecreaden

Posted: 2005-04-05 12:07

Excellent info!  Thanks so much for your time taken to assist others.

ecreaden

Posted: 2005-04-05 12:12

Kentech - can't get either of the downloads below to work.  Any alternative ways to get them?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=e7f0796a266522c911afdaa7882a96a1&postid=5358017

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=8cd052266994de680fe5d3a114416420&postid=5325930

Thanks!

kentech

Posted: 2005-04-05 14:15

• Member Quote

On 2005-04-05 12:12, ecreaden wrote:
    Kentech - can't get either of the downloads below to work. Any alternative ways to get them?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=e7f0796a266522c911afdaa7882a96a1&postid=5358017

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/attachment.php?s=8cd052266994de680fe5d3a114416420&postid=5325930

Thanks!

I just now copied the first URL and pasted it into my Firefox browser's address line. I was asked if I wanted to save to disk, and I said yes. An instant later the .zip file appeared in my download directory. I unzipped it, and there were the three files I originally posted.

I don't know how to help -- except that a bit later today I can locate tthe original messages, and point you to those. They will have hot-buttons for the downloads. On my Mac it downloads so fast that I never get a progress dialog, and it looks like nothing happened. But the file's there.

Dunno what's wrong, dude!

-----------------
    KenTech

ecreaden

Posted: 2005-04-05 16:41

Got 'em.  It was apparently an Internet Explorer issue, because my Firefox also did just fine.

OK, now that I have this stuff and am contemplating tinkering, quick myth versus reality question --

I had a tech out to adjust some convergence issues on my 36XS955 that I identified using Video Essentials.  He told me that if I entered the service menu at any time, that I void my Sony warranty.  I've seen various posts on this forum indicating that to be true as well.  What is your take on that?

Thanks!

E

kentech

Posted: 2005-04-06 14:06

• Member Quote

On 2005-04-05 16:41, ecreaden wrote:
    Got 'em. It was apparently an Internet Explorer issue, because my Firefox also did just fine.

OK, now that I have this stuff and am contemplating tinkering, quick myth versus reality question --

I had a tech out to adjust some convergence issues on my 36XS955 that I identified using Video Essentials. He told me that if I entered the service menu at any time, that I void my Sony warranty. I've seen various posts on this forum indicating that to be true as well. What is your take on that?

Thanks!

E

I recall that federal law stepped in years ago and said, in effect, you can't use just any excuse to deny a buyer due warranty. If a device is sealed with a labeled sticker that can be torn, maybe. Otherwise the manufacturer has to prove you have *caused* damage for which you are now claiming warranty repair.

Of course a service tech may tell you the Big Lie; means you are kept helpless, and they earn more income. Nope. Within the law, you are in control. I've been through this with certain computers, too.

Bottom line: No one can *prove* you entered service mode, or prove you removed the back from the set unless you have broken an appropriately-labeled seal. But if you damage something while in there, don't expect warranty repair.

I have transformed the quality of my 36XS955's display by having my way with service mode, and it was well worth the risk, if any! But create you own insurance: go through the tedium of writing doen the original settings as you tinker, and I would also log your changes in a little notebook. Has helped me back away from a few bungles!

-----------------
    KenTech

[ This message was edited by: kentech on 2005-04-06 14:09 ]

[ This message was edited by: kentech on 2005-04-06 14:11 ]

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.