Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:188
    Members:0
    Total of:188 users

MemberLogged
    Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

kv34hs420 geometry problems Dashboard
    Replies: 6 | Views: 1,813
    Last Reply: April 12, 2005, 10:53 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    andyross | tpisanic | kentech | scottscott | HustlerOne |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author kv34hs420 geometry problems
    scottscott

Posted: 2005-03-19 23:05

Recently purchased the kv34hs420, but find the geometry in the normal screen way off. The tech did not have much luck either, since seems to take a long time to adjust, I was his last call. I have gotten into the service menu since and wondering if anyone has the menu codes and default settings, and what they mean. The top left side bows inward. The difference from left bottom to left top was 3/4", the tech got it down to
    1/2", still quite annoying. Also, the bottom horizontal line in normal or zooms (when letterboxed) bows upward in the centre. Thank you.

andyross

Posted: 2005-03-20 09:18

You can see a list of entries here:
    http://home.att.net/~andyross/AV/XBR910_Service_Menu.ZIP
      It's for an XBR910, but the HS420 is essentially identical.

There are no real 'default' settings for geometry. Every TV is different, and eventhe location and orientation of the TV can make major differences. Generally, the 2170D-1 category adjusts vertical deflection issues (horizontal lines). 2170D-2 adjusts horizontal deflection issues (vertical lines.)

Before making changes, write down ALL of your current settings. Make certain to set any user-menu screen adjustments to their defaults first (main rotation,main vertical position, Zoom-ZoomWide vertical size and position, should all be 0).

For the bowing, you may need to fiddle with the BOW and PIN settings:
    LBOW = ||))>> to |||||| to <<((||
    VBOW = )))))) to |||||| to ((((((
    MPIN = )))((( to |||||| to ((()))
    PIN = ))||(( to |||||| to ((||))

LBOW adjusts how even the bowing is left to right. VBOW is overall screen bowing. Try adjusting LBOW for even bowing left-right, and maybe VBOW to get the center line of the screen straight. You may then need to adjust MPIN and/or PIN to straighten out the sides.

The tricky part about geometry is that you sometimes have to make it look worse at first to get to a setting that can be adjusted. There is ALOT of interaction between settings, and it can take hours to get it really correct. Don't be in a rush, and if you get tired or frustrated, either leave it where it is, or return everything back to where you started and try again later.

I also assume you have Avia, DVE, or similar disk with grid patterns (some DVD's have THX test patterns on them) to work with. Don't try doing this with just plain TV signals. A straightedge and/or ruler will also help.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

scottscott

Posted: 2005-03-20 10:35

Thank You andyross, I'm going out today to get an Avia and give it a try. I tried a bit using the settings from the XBR910 service menu, but with no luck. I have no idea what adjustments the tech made?

Thank you for all the great info.

tpisanic

Posted: 2005-03-25 14:23

I have had similar problems on my hs420. In fact, I went into the service menu and did my best to adjust the geometry. I made the mistake, however, of not writing down the default settings for the geometry.

Could someone PLEASE enter their service menu and tell me the default geometry settings (2170D-2 and 2170D-3) for the hs420???

andyross

Posted: 2005-03-25 16:45

There are no 'default' values. EVERY TV is different and is set up, poorly, at the factory.

-----------------
    Sony KDL-46EX700, Onkyo TX-NR609, Sony BDP-S370, WDTV Live Streaming, Motorola DCT-6412, RCA RCRP05B.

HustlerOne

Posted: 2005-04-12 21:24

Hello, I just joined the forums today because I noticed the same issues appearing in my 34hs420 but I do not know how to access the service menu for this television. Can anyone please let me know how this is accomplished? Thank you.

[ This message was edited by: HustlerOne on 2005-04-12 21:28 ]

kentech

Posted: 2005-04-12 22:53

• Member Quote

On 2005-04-12 21:24, HustlerOne wrote:
    Hello, I just joined the forums today because I noticed the same issues appearing in my 34hs420 but I do not know how to access the service menu for this television.

[ This message was edited by: HustlerOne on 2005-04-12 21:28 ]

Please read the articles entitled "Decoding the Service Codes" in the Television Ccnfiguration category.

-----------------
    KenTech

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.