Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:216
    Members:1
    Total of:217 users
    MemberLogged
    Maxxwire65 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

hookup video thru receiver? Dashboard
    Replies: 5 | Views: 1,532
    Last Reply: March 9, 2008, 11:15 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    jttar | jehill | phepner | mptpro |
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author hookup video thru receiver?
    phepner

Posted: 2005-01-07 09:02

hi all

i need some advice in routing video to my new sony KDF-60XBR950.

i have 
      sony KDF-60XBR950 tv
      denon AVR-4800 receiver
      denon DVD-2800 DVD player
      sa explorer 8300HD cable/HD/dvr box

i currently route all audio and video to the receiver and send the video via the component monitor outs to the tv.  in other words i video source to the tv. 

i was looking at tweaking the tv but started reading about tweaking the different video input sources (video_1, video_2 ... etc) for separate
     components (cable, dvd .. etc)

should i route the video sources directly to separate video inputs in the tv and only audio to the receiver?  

also have both HD and non HD content coming out of my cable box thru 1 set of component outputs.  i'm not that interested in non HD channels since they are poor quality anyway.  but should i separate those sources to different tv video inputs also?

thanx, paul

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-01-07 17:13

Welcome to Agoraquest!  Most of us here recommend connecting all video sources to the TV and audo sources to the receiver.  The receiver's video switching capability is a convenience feature.  Due to the fact that it puts additonal components in the video path, its not uncommon for some video degradation to occur.

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

mptpro

Posted: 2008-03-08 04:23

But, if you want the audio to be played through the receive, and not the tv, how would you accomplish this using an HDMI cable>

For example, I have a ps3 with HDMI out.  If I connect this cable directly to my sony xbr4 then the sound is routed to the tv also, when instead, I would like the sound sent to my receiver.

[ This message was edited by: mptpro on 2008-03-08 04:37 ]

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-08 23:36

• Member Quote

On 2008-03-08 04:23, mptpro wrote:
    But, if you want the audio to be played through the receive, and not the tv, how would you accomplish this using an HDMI cable>

For example, I have a ps3 with HDMI out.  If I connect this cable directly to my sony xbr4 then the sound is routed to the tv also, when instead, I would like the sound sent to my receiver.

[ This message was edited by: mptpro on 2008-03-08 04:37 ]

mptpro,

Greetings and welcome.

In order for the sound of your PS3 to be sent to your receiver you would either have to use the HDMI connection from your PS3 to a HDMI input of your TV and then use the TV's audio out (if equipt)  back to your receiver or run the HDMI out from the PS3 to an HDMI input on your receiver (if equipt) and then run an additional HDMI cable from the receivers HDMI out to one of your TV's HDMI inputs.

Joe

mptpro

Posted: 2008-03-09 05:59

Thanks Joe,

I have a Sony Bavia XBR4 tv and am getting one of the Sony ES receivers, so I shold be able to do it both ways you describe.

What is the general consensus of video quality when connecting via HDMI ps3 --> receiver --> tv?

P.S. It shocked me what a difference the cable quality made! My first HDMI cable cause "snow" on my tv when connecting my ps3 and running at 1080p. I couldn't figure out what caused it, then I tried a high quality (and expenseive) Monster Cabel and the picture is perfect!

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2008-03-09 23:15

mptpro,

You should have no problem in passing the video signal through an ES receiver and then to your TV.

What model of Sony ES receiver are you considering?

A high quality HDMI cable can make a huge difference as you have found out. It doesn't have to be an expensive cable like a Mon$ter brand but it is good to hear that the picture is perfect after using a better cable.

Joe

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.