Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:185
    Members:1
    Total of:186 users
    MemberLogged
    dtimage7.7 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Calibrating KDF-55XS955 Dashboard
    Replies: 33 | Views: 9,038
    Last Reply: May 27, 2005, 2:56 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    boulderskies | jttar | jehill | Toli | kennyboy | xfirej | Jagster1 | fortified | scanman | TTV | TyroneShoes | SummitHDTV | drcandon | casscarr2002 |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Calibrating KDF-55XS955
    boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-02-22 15:44

I am embarrassed to ask this but what is "black crush?"

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955
    SONY STR-DA5300ES Receiver
    SONY BDP-S550 Blu-Ray Player
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD Cable Box
    Sub: Velodyne SPL-1500R
    Center: JAMO
    Fronts: B&W 805
    Surround L & R: Def Tech BP2X
    Surround Back: Def Tech Ceiling

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-02-22 19:10

Don't be embarrassed!  I don't know what it is either!

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-02-22 23:39

boulderskies,

For lack of better definition, "black crush" is when the dark parts of scenes just become all black (loss of greyscale)  with little distinction between different shades of black. There can be any color of "crush" including white.

Joe

xfirej

Posted: 2005-02-23 21:55

On 2004-12-21 12:34, boulderskies wrote:
    As some of you know, I am the proud, new owner of a SONY KDF-55XS955. I've just loved this set, both in SD and HD and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bright, sharp and reasonably priced rear-projection LCD set. Warning: do NOT view Discovery Theatre HD at the store if you are unsure about buying! You will be forced to buy one immediately.

Anyway, I decided to experiment with the Sound and Vision Home Theatre DVD on a SONY progressive scan DVD player . Calibrating the basics (tone, brightness, contrast) was a piece of cake. However, when I accessed the Advanced Menu features of this DVD, I was presented with a variety of images presumably used to calibrate. However, there was no way to actually do the calibration with the controls available.

Should I dare access the Service Menu of the KDF-55XS955? How do I access it?

Scott

xfirej

Posted: 2005-02-23 21:57

No use the dvd it is good enough for most      

xfirej

Posted: 2005-05-01 20:36

leave your mitts off of it and use the disk video essentials works great

drcandon

Posted: 2005-05-16 10:44

Hey Everyone...just a word of warning, especially if you are a proud Canadian owner is the voiding of the warranty...I could get a ISF guy in to meddle with the service menu and yep it probably would be better, but as I found out in Canada anyways, it voids the warranty..now it is possible ( in the service menu on the XS series of sets) to do a factory reset...before the warranty guy comes in, but to pay $400 canuck bucks to have an ISF guy in then to have to reset it for warranty is just toooooo much. Sound and Vision also puts out a resonable callibration DVD as well. I have one of these and by using both callibration DVD's and the using power saver mode and fiddling with the pro settings and also the "warm" setting as well, I came 99% close to my XBR CRT..so I am happy with that. What I do like is that the XBR does not seem to have the definition into back like these TV's do, so in a way that is better.

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-16 10:52

Interesting.

Can someone explain how the Power Saver mode works and what the advantages of using it are?

Thank you.

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-16 22:16

Hello boulderskies,

It is my understanding that the Power Saving setting when set to "Reduced" cuts down the power to the lamp. Supposedly, this makes the picture a little darker but is also said to improve the black level detail. I believe that I read that using the "Reduced" setting will prolong bulb life. I have tried it set to "Standard" and "Reduced" on my set but couldn't see that much of a difference. I leave mine set at "Reduced"

Joe

drcandon

Posted: 2005-05-17 10:03

re: reduced power mode...

According to the two Sony guys I had to come in and do a repair/replacement on my TV ( subject of another post) the reduced mode saves about 30% on bulb life and correspondingly reduces light output only by about 15%. These guys apparently got a Sony service note on the subject and Sony recommends to all techs that they inform the customers of this during a warranty repair visit. Apparently according to them ( and the Sony service bulletin)it also increases the life of the lamp driver and video driver board as well. A decrease in 15% light output would be the equivalent ( roughly) of turning down the brightness control about 3 notches. Since the brightness/contrst control on any TV is not truly linear that is why it appears to have very little effect. The only real difference is if you take it out of vivid mode and put it into pro mode. But then if you calibrate using the various calibration DVD's out there, you will gain back a lot of the perceived light/black level output...LCD tv's handle this kind of stuff better than CRT's even though CRT's are supposed to handle lower black levels better..All I can say is compared to my XBR and after calibration, playing a dark movie like Underworld or Hellboy you can see the black detail on the LCD but not on the XBR (my XBR is a bit old though so the tube could be weaking)...

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-17 11:04

Thanks guys. Very informative replies.

I will experiement with the Reduced setting. Since I first configured the set, I've been running Vivid Mode with the brightness cranked almost all the way up. This undoubtedly is a cardinal sin and will reduce lamp life, but anything less caused a distinct lack of clarity, crispness and clarity. The only ill effects I see are when there are light lines on a dark surface (ie: salt and pepper colored hair on someone's head). There is definitely distorting but I put up with it because it doesnt happen very often.

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-17 22:54

boulderskies,

Considering that you have been using vivid mode with the brightness cranked up, after you change to "Standard" or "Pro" mode give your eyes and brain a week of adjusting to the new settings. At first it will seem too dark but after your eye's adjust to the new settings you will notice more detail and truer colors.

Joe

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-18 09:56

I checked my settings last nite and I was a bit off in my previous posts. Actually, the brightness is up only about half. Its the "picture" setting that's cranked almost all the way up. Anything less and the things get dull in a hurry. And this is with the "vivid" setting.

I carefully went thru the video 1, 2 and DVD modes and they were all about the same, so at least I was being consistent.

Joe, your sage advice is well taken but I think my settings are due to the fact that the TV is in a relatively light room, with glass sliding doors to the outside nearby.

Also, I dont find any power saving settings in any menu. Where the heck are they?

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-18 22:20

On 2005-05-18 09:56, boulderskies wrote:

Also, I dont find any power saving settings in any menu. Where the heck are they?

Scott,

On my WF655, the Power Saving menu is in the Video menu of the Setup Menu. I got out my manual to give you a step by step path and noticed that there is a sidebar that says: "Power Saving is available for WF655 series only."  Now, my owners manual covers the WF655 and the WE655 series so it is telling me that the WE655 series doesn't have the Power Saving capability. Check your manual or the TV's menu ( under video setup) to see if the XS955 series has this feature. It will be the last item in the Video menu, right past "Noise Reduction" and "Mild Mode".

Joe

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-05-19 11:02

Joe,

First, thanks for your time on this.

I researched the owners manual for my KDF-55XS955 and it does in fact show a Power Saving Mode in the Video Menu, just past the Mild Setting. But it looks like its on a second page of the menu or something so I'll just have to experiment. Its definitely not on the first page of the Video menu. Or-it could be turned off when the set is in Vivid mode, which mine is.

One way or another, I'll get to the bottom of it.

S.

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 2
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.