Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:160
    Members:1
    Total of:161 users
    MemberLogged
    johnwed0.0 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index Television Configuration

Calibrating KDF-55XS955 Dashboard
    Replies: 33 | Views: 9,039
    Last Reply: May 27, 2005, 2:56 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    boulderskies | jttar | jehill | Toli | kennyboy | xfirej | Jagster1 | fortified | scanman | TTV | TyroneShoes | SummitHDTV | drcandon | casscarr2002 |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Calibrating KDF-55XS955
    boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-12-21 12:34

As some of you know, I am the proud, new owner of a SONY KDF-55XS955. I've just loved this set, both in SD and HD and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bright, sharp and reasonably priced rear-projection LCD set. Warning: do NOT view Discovery Theatre HD at the store if you are unsure about buying! You will be forced to buy one immediately.

Anyway, I decided to experiment with the Sound and Vision Home Theatre DVD on a SONY progressive scan DVD player . Calibrating the basics (tone, brightness, contrast) was a piece of cake. However, when I accessed the Advanced Menu features of this DVD, I was presented with a variety of images presumably used to calibrate. However, there was no way to actually do the calibration with the controls available.

Should I dare access the Service Menu of the KDF-55XS955? How do I access it?

Scott

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955
    SONY STR-DA5300ES Receiver
    SONY BDP-S550 Blu-Ray Player
    Scientific Atlanta Explorer HD Cable Box
    Sub: Velodyne SPL-1500R
    Center: JAMO
    Fronts: B&W 805
    Surround L & R: Def Tech BP2X
    Surround Back: Def Tech Ceiling

jehill
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-12-21 15:39

My recommendation would be to keep your mitts off of the service adjustments.  The service adjustements are intended for professionals.  Sit back and enjoy your new set!

-----------------
    -John

Sony A/V System: KDL-55XBR8, BDP-S550 and AVD-LA2500PKG, consisting of AVD-C70ES Super Audio CD/DVD Receiver, 4 SS-LA500ED surround speakers, 1 SS-LAC505ED center channel speaker and 1 SA-WD200 Active Subwoofer

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-12-21 15:53

Ye of little faith....

How about the Imaging Science Foundation? Do they do "house calls?"

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

Toli
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-12-21 19:31

boulderskies- If you are satisfied with your picture, I would just leave it or call an ISF tech. This is of course just my opinion. Not that it's above your level, but what jehill said about the service mode is true.

P.S. That is a beautiful TV.

-----------------
    KDL-52XBR6 w/Salamander Archetype TV65,STR-DA7100ES,BDP-S1,DVP-NS9100ES,DIRECTV HR21,Panamax 5510-PRO ACRegenerator & M1500-UPS;Klipsch:KSF-10.5(2),KSF-C5,KSF-S5(4-2),KSW-15; glass toslinks,Pure Silver i-Link & HDMI,PS3,Harmony 880 Pro

jttar
    Premium Member

Posted: 2004-12-21 22:47

On 2004-12-21 15:53, boulderskies wrote:
    Ye of little faith....

How about the Imaging Science Foundation? Do they do "house calls?"

boulderskies,

Yes, they do house calls usually for around the $300(USD) area. If your pleased with your picture I would leave it at that however I have heard some marvelous stories about having your TV calibrated by an ISF tech. THIS is a link to a ISF trained dealer in your area.

Joe

kennyboy

Posted: 2004-12-30 14:26

KDF-55XS955 Settings:  Would either of you gentlemen be willing to share your video settings or can you point me to an appropriate link?  I know that each TV is unique and must ultimately be calibrated individually but I'd sure like some initial settings to get me started-I can attempt to do some tweaking down the line using my THX optimizer or one of the more complete calibration disks available. 

I take delivery of my 55XS next Wednesday and want to be up and running as soon as possible.  I am a man of little patience. 

BTW, this will be my first LCD RP set.  I hope that I am making the right move.  I have about one year's experience with two DLP sets and have experienced both the good and the bad associated with that technology.  My experience with DLP can be summed up in a few words: Great potential but too many bugs.

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-01-04 14:14

kennyboy,

I hope by now you are loving your new TV.

jehill and toli, I respect and appreciate your advice and have reconsidered entering the service menu. But I do have an appointment with an ISF tech scheduled for mid-February.

My only complaint in calibrating this set is the different aspect ratio settings. I cant seem to find one that will allow sufficient viewing of the variety of formats that are broadcast. In most cases, the trailer on the underside of a lot of channels is completely obscured...

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

Jagster1

Posted: 2005-01-04 14:32

Hi boulderskies: Like you I am a proud owner of the 55XS955 set. You may already know this, so forgive me if I am telling you something you know. One of the advantages of the Sony XS series is the number of video adjustment you can make in the Pro video mode. If you go to the Pro mode, it activates the Advance Video menu section. The video adjustment you can make include CLEAR WHITE: which emphasizes white colors, LIVE COLOR which enhances blues and greens, a four-position DETAIL ENHANCER which sharpens images, a BLACK CORRECTOR which enhances dark-scene contrast, and a four-position GAMMA Corrector which changes brightness balance between bright and dark areas of the picture. You can check these adjustment out and see if they help you calibrate your new 55XS. Enjoy you set. It really has a great picture.

boulderskies
    Premium Member

Posted: 2005-01-04 15:44

Jagster1,

Thanks for your reply. And, yes, I am aware of the Pro menus but I really havent had a lot of time to go in and play with them but I will very soon.

Again, thanks for the input.

S.

-----------------
    SONY KDF-55XS955

kennyboy

Posted: 2005-01-17 09:16

Help with "Black Crush."  Just took delivery of my 55XS955 about 10 days ago.  I've been tinkering with the settings but I haven't eliminated the dreaded black crush.  I'd gladly sacrifice the "crush" for grayish or Navy bluish blacks.  Based on a number of recommendations in the AVS FORUM and this forum, I've been using the reduced power settings.

I'm not adventurous enough to venture into the service menu.  Can any of you Sony experts out there give me some suggestions as to what I can do from the user menu to mitigate the black crush?  Or send me a link to an appropriate thread?

I also get a better picture on my 55XS through my Pioneer (45A) Elite DVD player and component cables (whether I send a 480i or P) signal than I do through my upconverting Samsung DVD player thru the HDMI II tried both 720P and 1080i).  I am curious if anyone else is having this experience?

scanman

Posted: 2005-01-27 07:57

I am using HDMI from my Denon 2910 to a we655 (which I am returning) and can only discern a small dif in PQ at the edge of a moving object.

I am looking to replace the we with either a wf ,xs or a mit dlp - any advice would be appreiciated - thanks

[ This message was edited by: scanman on 2005-01-27 07:58 ]

xfirej

Posted: 2005-01-27 22:42

On 2004-12-21 12:34, boulderskies wrote:
    As some of you know, I am the proud, new owner of a SONY KDF-55XS955. I've just loved this set, both in SD and HD and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for a bright, sharp and reasonably priced rear-projection LCD set. Warning: do NOT view Discovery Theatre HD at the store if you are unsure about buying! You will be forced to buy one immediately.

Anyway, I decided to experiment with the Sound and Vision Home Theatre DVD on a SONY progressive scan DVD player . Calibrating the basics (tone, brightness, contrast) was a piece of cake. However, when I accessed the Advanced Menu features of this DVD, I was presented with a variety of images presumably used to calibrate. However, there was no way to actually do the calibration with the controls available.

Scott

xfirej

Posted: 2005-01-27 22:43

On 2004-12-21 12:34, boulderskies wrote:

Scott

Do not use the Service Menu get better disk

TyroneShoes

Posted: 2005-02-20 06:27

• Member Quote

On 2005-01-17 09:16, kennyboy wrote:
    Help with "Black Crush." Just took delivery of my 55XS955 about 10 days ago. I've been tinkering with the settings but I haven't eliminated the dreaded black crush...

I thought I was experiencing black crush as well, when I got my 60XS. The thing is, it sits next to a 36" XBR CRT, which always has had the best blacks ever, and no crush. It turns out, the XS does not actually have crush when adjusted properly, but it is harder to adjust than a CRT, because you have to adjust both picture and brightness to get black detail to pop, whereas adjusting a CRT you can adjust brightness for the detail, and then adjust picture up and down all day long and the pedestal stays where it belongs. New technology, new rules.

Every time I think I see a crush problem on my 60XS, it turns out that it is actually lack of detail in the source, as witnessed by the reference 36XBR, which always has the exact same amount of black detail as the XS. What makes it apparent (other than the sheer size of the display and a tendency to be very picky right after delivery) is that LCDs have a higher absolute black level, which means that you can still see light at the point where detail fades into black (or grey, in this case) making it all the more annoying.

I have found that the best way to remedy this (once I unlearned my picture/brightness adjustment technique and applied the new LCD rules for that) was to turn on the power saver (less ambient light in the cabinet lowers the absolute black level significantly) and push gamma all the way (which makes the dark detail easier to see without changing the contrast or luminance extremes, making the PERCEIVED absolute black level seem lower than it really is). Try that, and see if it helps.

TTV

Posted: 2005-02-22 15:04

Great suggestion Tyrone. Love that name.
    I've been using the "power saver" mode from day 1 and it does improve the overall balance for me as well.
    I have the 60WF Sony. Also, I tend to keep the overall lighting in the room not too bright so that I can keep the contrast and brightness settings at their best without having to push them to compensate for a bright room.

TT

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 1
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.