Agoraquest Logo
The only place for the Sony Enthusiast Free Member Registration | Login | Contact Us | Quick Search Forum   
Main Menu
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Forums
  • Reviews
  • The Top
  • Web Links
  • File Downloads
  • Photo Gallery
  • Archived Articles
  • Media Center
  • Useful Sections
  • Sony Issues
  • Sony Alerts
  • Senior Members
  • Premium Members
  • eBay Sony Auction
  • Search Site
  • About Us
  • Recommend Us
  • Members List
  • Bookmark this Page

Additional Features
  • Linking to Us
  • Owner Manuals
  • Calender of Events
  • Contact Us
  • Stock Market
  • Agorasearch
  • Break It Down Blog

• Sponsors

Who's Online
    Currently Online
    Visitors:227
    Members:1
    Total of:228 users
    MemberLogged
    SONYESP1.8 min
    Users will be removed if they logged out or are inactive for 35 minutes

Most Online Users
    Visitors:980
    Members:1
    Total of:981 online users
    October 17, 2013, 10:29 pm

Your Current Status
    You are Anonymous user. Register for free by clicking here.

Inbox

Moderated By: claudio
    Agoraquest Forum Index DVD

Sony 975v DVD Player - My review and thoughts Dashboard
    Replies: 41 | Views: 10,523
    Last Reply: January 10, 2005, 8:19 pm

View Printable Version of this thread
    Members below have participated in this thread
    Maxxwire | boulderskies | rb | thefaulkner | twocan | kdmnguyen | bbeacham | jdown | JamisonBWolsh | DoobieWah | sondogg | blackvette | luisandres58 | btorphy | jresurf | svtec | CaptJeff1 | jsteeleii | cjjezews |
    This thread topic spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )
    Search other threads for related issues/solutions: or use Advance Forum Search
    Get the latest Exclusive Sony News by Joining our RSS Feed or Get RSS Via Email
    Author Sony 975v DVD Player - My review and thoughts
    bbeacham

Posted: 2004-12-31 04:14

Faulkner and CaptJeff1,  you guys are making me paranoid. 

This "tray lockup" problem is starting to sound just like the "video dropout" problem with the x000ES digital amps (it takes a while before it occurs).  Doesn't Sony do any type of stress testing on their products?  Have we, as a (global) society, become so obsessed with getting the cheapest price that we have sacrificed quality and pride? 

Is Sony now run by MBAs who only care what a spreadsheet number is, and are not concerned by what they actually sell?

luisandres58

Posted: 2005-01-01 11:53

I boought the 975 about two months ago. It's great picture. Last night I went to use it. But I don't get anything. The machine won't play. It does everything, showing the messages in the window, like welcome, no disc, open, etc. But once I insert the disc and hit play, it just show the icon for play, it stays that way and won't play. I tried different discs, same results. It won't open or close. I have to turn the machine off to open tray again. Turning it off stays for a few seconds like it has a virus, then turns off. Is there an issue like this?

jdown

Posted: 2005-01-02 13:21

Don't forget about sound quality with the 975V.  I just upgraded to it from a Sony DVP-S530D.  PQ using S-Video to a 7-y.o. Mits CRT TV is somewhat better, nothing to write home about.  But DVDs sound so much better with the 975V!  I'm running audio via coaxial cable to a Yamaha RX-V1400, with Paradigm speakers (CC-150, Studio 40s L & R, Titan surrounds, PDR-10 sub).  Even with this relatively modest system, I'm hearing more full & precise sound on DVDs that I've watched (Under Siege, Whole Nine Yards) - it especially livened up LFE.  And of course looking forward to HD video when I upgrade to that in a few months.

svtec

Posted: 2005-01-02 14:08

i have had mine for about a week now and have watched a lot of movies on it and am very impressed with it to date.

i have one question though: what should be the determinng factor for choosing what resolution you want to upconvert to?

i mean i usually pick 1080i, but why would i want to use 720p, or 480p?

as for the problems before mentioned in this post. i have not had any yet. knock on wood.

thefaulkner

Posted: 2005-01-02 23:26

I've still only heard of the two 975's (Three now, thanks to CaptJeff) that have failed. Don't get me wrong... The 975V appears to be a well built player with EXCELLENT performance. The problem appears to be either a firmware glitch or a bad IC. There's still no notes on ESI (sony's tech knowledgebase) about the problem or it's cause.

I have a feeling that it is a problem with the firmware of the player... one of the units that failed indicated over 3000 hours of CD playback when we were troubleshooting... Impossible!!

I'd imagine that there should be some more info about this soon enough, and Sony will remedy the problem as soon as possible.

In the meantime... Do not buy a 975V without a Sony Warranty... Do not buy any electronics without a manufacturer's warranty... Common Sense, No?

jsteeleii

Posted: 2005-01-04 18:42

This is my first time posting here. I bought the dvp-ns975v in Nov., and it worked great for 4-5 weeks, awesome picture, etc. It stopped working and began doing the same exact thing that luisandres58 posted about above. I also tried everything to no avail. I have since sent it back to Sony for repair. Has anyone else had any similar problems? I hope Sony can iron out these problems, bc I loved this player when it was working.

rb

Posted: 2005-01-05 00:49

svtec- The output resolution would very much depend on the TV that you are using. What set do you own? With my CRT RPJTV I found that 720 x 480P looks best although I'm still experimenting.

-----------------
    rb

I listen to music in StereO

svtec

Posted: 2005-01-10 00:27

• Member Quote

On 2005-01-02 23:26, thefaulkner wrote:
    I've still only heard of the two 975's (Three now, thanks to CaptJeff) that have failed. Don't get me wrong... The 975V appears to be a well built player with EXCELLENT performance. The problem appears to be either a firmware glitch or a bad IC. There's still no notes on ESI (sony's tech knowledgebase) about the problem or it's cause.

I have a feeling that it is a problem with the firmware of the player... one of the units that failed indicated over 3000 hours of CD playback when we were troubleshooting... Impossible!!

I'd imagine that there should be some more info about this soon enough, and Sony will remedy the problem as soon as possible.

In the meantime... Do not buy a 975V without a Sony Warranty... Do not buy any electronics without a manufacturer's warranty... Common Sense, No?

you can make that three now. i have had it for about two weeks and just had the tray lock-up experience. i am going to try that trick and see what it does.

svtec

Posted: 2005-01-10 01:47

• Member Quote

On 2005-01-04 18:42, jsteeleii wrote:
    This is my first time posting here. I bought the dvp-ns975v in Nov., and it worked great for 4-5 weeks, awesome picture, etc. It stopped working and began doing the same exact thing that luisandres58 posted about above. I also tried everything to no avail. I have since sent it back to Sony for repair. Has anyone else had any similar problems? I hope Sony can iron out these problems, bc I loved this player when it was working.

i just opened this thing up by taking off that tab on the bottom of the player and using a knife to slide the tray release mechanism. i pulled the disk out and was so pissed that i put another one in and watched it for a while. i went to sony's website and the problem is documented, but no fixes. i can't return mine to the place where i bought it, so i am going to send it to texas and hopefully they can figure out something.

i loved it while it was working. if anyone hears anything from sony they need to bump this thread.

cjjezews

Posted: 2005-01-10 02:01

I too just bought this SONY 975v DVD player for my new Cineza HS51. looked fantastic.

4-5 weeks? No 4-5 movies. It started by loosing voice/picture Sync on third movie.then mine also failed to recognize chapters/Disc. wouldn't play and wouldn't open. Had to turn off projector and DVD to get disc out.

I returned it and got another. Which so far works for the first two movies. I will now try and return it altogether. I don't got time to be no guniea PIG.

btorphy

Posted: 2005-01-10 18:24

Well, we can add mine to the list.  No locked tray (yet), but unable to read disks, etc.  I am going to excahnge mine at ABT and maybe check into an extended warrantee.  All though I dont feel that I should have to pay for extra warrantee to cover a product defect!

I hope Sny issues a fix soon!

thefaulkner

Posted: 2005-01-10 20:19

Sony Canada's national lab is aware of the problem (they suggested I try holding stop, FWD and Open/Close simultaneously and hold... didn't work for me) I'm forwarding my player to them for examination and hopefully we'll have a fix soon. Sony Japan and USA are aware of the problem as well... the only bulletin suggests the stop/fwd/open trick above... and that's from Japan. Perhaps it'll work for some of you.

This topic thread spans 3 pages - You are currently on page 3
    NEXT>> (1 | 2 | 3 )

Advance Features

Jump To:
    Locations 
of visitors to this page

All logos and information in this site are property of their respective owner. The comments are property of their posters. This website www.agoraquest.com, Claudio Meira and Agoraquest, LLC is not tided in any form to the Sony Corporation (www.sony.com). This unoffical website is just place where Sony products are reviewed among the general public. Sony is a registered of Sony, Inc. "PlayStation", "PlayStation2", the PlayStation "PS" logo, and all associated logos/graphics. "Agoraquest, LLC" and "agoraquest.com" are associated exclusively with agoraquest.com, and are NOT associated in ANY way with Sony Electronics, Inc. To view the privacy policy, please click here and to view the terms of use, please click here. If you have any further questions, please contact using our online form.